Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Homework1

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old August 05, 2010, 04:28 AM
Opal

joijoi is on a distinguished road
Talking Homework1

Please check my sentences. I am not yet familiar with the accent marks so I'll just type it in English for now.

Me llamo joijoi. Tengo veintiseis años. Me gusta estudiar español porque creo que es muy interesante y tambien me gusta enseñar esta idioma a otras personas. Soy sencilla, cerrada y callada. Ahora no tengo trabajo porque dimiti de trabajo desde el 1 de julio. Fui telefonista. Mi trabajo fue muy estresante (stressful). Estoy esperando que voy a encontrar un trabajo nuevo este mes. Me encanta escuchando las musicas. No me gusta pasear mucho.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 05, 2010, 06:39 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by joijoi View Post
Please check my sentences. I am not yet familiar with the accent marks so I'll just type it in English for now.

Me llamo joijoi. Tengo veintiséis años. Me gusta estudiar español porque creo que es muy interesante y también me gusta enseñar este idioma a otras personas. Soy sencilla, cerrada y reservada. Ahora no tengo trabajo porque renuncié al trabajo desde el 1 de julio. Era telefonista. Mi trabajo fue muy estresante (stressful). Estoy esperando a encontrar un trabajo nuevo este mes. Me encanta escuchar música. No me gusta pasear mucho.
Dimitir es renunciar, pero generalmente se usa para cargos (importantes) o presidentes.

Old August 06, 2010, 06:24 AM
Opal

Talking

Por que no puede fui?

Cerrada = persona introvertida

Thanks for the corrections.
Old August 06, 2010, 06:30 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Por que no puede fui?

Cerrada = persona introvertida

Thanks for the corrections.
Cerrada, da la impresión de ser "cerrada de mollera", mientras que "introvertida" da la correcta impresión de una persona "reservada".

Fui de podría usar, lo mismo que en la siguiente frase que diece que fue muy estresante, debiera haber sido "era estresante", por que es un relato....no se gramática para poder explicarte en términos gramaticales.

Estoy seguro que otra persona te puede ayudar con eso, siempre y cuando entiendas de gramática.
Old August 06, 2010, 06:32 AM
Opal

Talking

And also please translate the following sentences in Spanish so I can see the difference.

I like to listen to music.
I like listening to music.
Old August 06, 2010, 06:35 AM
Diamond

Quote:
And also please translate the following sentences in Spanish so I can see the difference.

Para mí las dos significan "Me gusta escuchar música"
Old August 06, 2010, 08:54 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Chileno gave a correct answer. Let me expound.

Both 'listening' and 'to listen' mean the same thing in these sentences. You can argue that there is a difference, but there really isn't. Both mean that you enjoy listening to music.
Both are allowed after the verb 'like'.

However, both words are NOT allowed after the verb 'enjoy'. Only 'listening' is allowed after that verb. Why is that?
I brought this up because I want to teach you something you may not be aware of.

The verb 'like' takes a direct object. This is a noun that answers the question, "What do you like?" If you like apples, 'apples' is the direct object. If you like swimming, 'swimming' is the direct object. These words are both nouns, even if one of them looks exactly like a verb.
When 'swimming' functions as a noun, it is called a gerund in English. The Spanish equivalent is 'nadar'. This is used as a noun, just like 'swimming' is used as a noun.

Many of us English speakers don't even realize that we are saying a noun when we say 'I like swimming'.

Now, why can we use both 'listening' and 'to listen' behind the verb 'like'? Because we can. The infinitive ('to listen') can also function as a noun in English, but we aren't always free to use the infinitive and the gerund interchangeably.

For instance, the familiar saying, "Seeing is believing," can also be rendered, "To see is to believe." It may sound awkward at first, because it isn't the familiar saying, but both sentences mean exactly the same thing. And both of those words that end in '-ing' are nouns. There is only one verb in the phrase. In Spanish, the same phrase is 'Ver es creer'. That is the only way to say it in Spanish, while English allows two ways to say it.
However, we can't say "I enjoy to listen to music." The infinitive simply won't function as a noun after that particular verb. In Spanish it does, because the infinitive can always function as a noun. In English, we have to use the gerund 'listening' after that verb. So, sometimes English lets us use the gerund and the infinitive interchangeably, like after the verb 'like', but sometimes we don't have that luxury.
Old August 06, 2010, 10:16 AM
Diamond

Thank you Rusty.

It took some time, uh?
Old August 06, 2010, 11:49 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Yes, but I hope it's more clear now. I don't know how you can get around grammar in these instances. Knowing that what looks like a verb could actually be a noun is a very important concept. When a gerund is used in English, a noun must also be used in Spanish.

It's interesting to note that joijoi correctly used nouns after 'me gusta' in her narrative, but didn't use one after 'me encanta'. Both of these structures have a subject (a noun). In English, these verbs take a direct object. Either way, a noun is used in both languages.

Me gusta estudiar. = I like studying.
Me encanta estudiar. = I love studying.
Me gusta escuchar música. = I like listening to music.
Me encanta escuchar música. = I love listening to music.

Last edited by Rusty; August 06, 2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old August 06, 2010, 01:22 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Yes, but I hope it's more clear now. I don't know how you can get around grammar in these instances. Knowing that what looks like a verb could actually be a noun is a very important concept. When a gerund is used in English, a noun must also be used in Spanish.

It's interesting to note that joijoi correctly used nouns after 'me gusta' in her narrative, but didn't use one after 'me encanta'. Both of these structures have a subject (a noun). In English, these verbs take a direct object. Either way, a noun is used in both languages.

Me gusta estudiar. = I like studying.
Me encanta estudiar. = I love studying.
Me gusta escuchar música. = I like listening to music.
Me encanta escuchar música. = I love listening to music.
Easy.

When I wanted to say "me gusta estudiar" I would say "I like to study".

People would understand, and like you said, intrinsically it isn't wrong but it don't sound native. So I either, with time, caught up with "I like studying" or just simply many people corrected me. But I still, out of habit I would write "I like to study" just to be controversial.

As to what you found interesting of joijoi, I think it can be attributed to "different personality" that's all. Each person finds interesting whatever... with time and explanations like this she will get it.

Last edited by chileno; August 06, 2010 at 01:25 PM.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: