Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

What Spanish TV/movies to watch?

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old April 14, 2011, 09:15 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
brimby is on a distinguished road
What Spanish TV/movies to watch?

I have been learning Spanish with Rosetta Stone, and it's working out well, but I feel like its weakest aspect is in learning to hear Spanish. I think this is probably the hardest part of language learning in general. Anyway, I realize that actually speaking Spanish with people is the quickest way to learn, but short of that, maybe watching TV would be second place?

So here is my question: what TV shows or movies should I watch in Spanish to help me hear and understand Spanish better? I don't want to watch something that is meant to be educational; I want something that is more true-to-life. Also, it should probably be something not so edgy, with a low amount of slang. I'm picturing a lame 90's family sitcom or something. Anything that deals with everyday situations (ie mundane) but that is also entertaining.

Any suggestions will help! Thanks.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 14, 2011, 09:32 PM
rule 1: gravity

poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
I don't think that watching TV is the second best way to learn, of course, everyone learns differently. Other than communicating directly with others, reading is the second best way to learn for me. Reading affords you the time to examine new vocabulary in a way that just watching TV won't.

If you prefer watching TV, my suggestion would be to find a show that really interests you. You will be motivated to understand it if you find the subject matter compelling. If you can get closed captioned
for hearing impaired subtitles in Spanish for your favorite Spanish-language
show, it can be very helpful. Hearing what people say and seeing it written in Spanish can be very educational.

If you are not currently motivated by watching telenovelas, and Sabado
Gigante, I would suggest the magazine-like pseudo news shows like
Primer Impacto. The Spanish used is often easy, and you wont get tangled up in lots of words.
Old April 14, 2011, 09:52 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
This kind to threads have been answered with precedence, and well everyone have studied with this kind to method before, I believe this is the five post that speak about the same methods, I believe the Rosetta Stone is a good method but anyway any book or audio CD always it will leaves you a doubt with some thread, because it's doesn't the same to speak on live with someone than no ones you speak.

When I practice myself with me or other person related in the same language, I can practice and learn more efficient in anytime, therefore I don't believe that the Rosetta Stone being the best method for your learning it, but you can try with one chat room or with visit some place where being spoken the language that you are learning it.

Sincerely yours.
Old April 15, 2011, 11:14 AM
Opal

brimby is on a distinguished road
@poli: I like reading too. There is a newspaper that is printed in my area that has side by side English and Spanish articles, so that people of either language can learn the other. But like I said, I want to learn to hear Spanish and understand it. Reading doesn't help with that. I liked your Primer Impacto idea. Thanks. I'm not much interested in sappy soap operas. A light news show sounds good.
Old April 15, 2011, 02:53 PM
Emerald

Luna Azul is on a distinguished road
At least where I live, most channels in Spanish show soap operas almost 24 hrs a day. It's really irritating. There are a few good programs, though.

Univisión has a program on Sunday morning hosted by Jorge Ramos which is pretty good. I don't know how understandable it would be for a person with a low level of Spanish, but it's a start.

Also, listening to the news will help you a lot because when they show videos you're actually visualising what they are talking about. Try to concentrate hard on what you're listening to.. you'll soon notice you'll start understanding more and more.

Old April 16, 2011, 12:20 PM
Emerald

Native Language: American English
Cloudgazer is on a distinguished road
I've had good luck with older TV series, but I usually find that Spanish is only available in the earliest seasons. Classic cartoons, e.g., the Flintstones, are also something to check out, if you enjoy them. Check your local library's DVD collection. You can also find cartoon series online at places like RTVE.es.
Old April 18, 2011, 10:56 PM
Opal

pia is on a distinguished road
for a beginner - start with music.

it is slower (depending on the music you listen to like Grupo Rio ..Tu Eres Mi Princesa.. -Letra- ( Charito y Luchito & Raul )) and not as fast as movies or tv shows.

listen to a lot of songs (try an online free radio), or a station with a lot of commercials as certain words are enunciated.

speak out your own lessons. so that you know the present conjugation of 'tener' yo form is tengo not teno. its almost like you can never go wrong because teno just does not feel right but tengo does.

the key is immersion. listen to spanish as often as you can. for a few hours a day. let it run in the background so that you get used to the kind of sounds.

or listen to al mundo - the spanish news from BBC adn see how many words you recognise.

Good luck
Old April 19, 2011, 02:43 AM
Pearl

Native Language: Inglés – Gran Bretaña.
conejodescarado is on a distinguished road
Voy a ver Abel este sábado con un grupo español de meetup.com

Lindo.
Old April 19, 2011, 09:06 AM
Pearl

Native Language: American English
Awaken is on a distinguished road
Unless you have completed Rosetta Stones level 1-5, you probably aren't ready for most Spanish TV. Even after level 5, you probably still aren't. Listening to natives at full speed is tough. I agree with Poli on this one. Reading is a better next step. Also, you can get a Spanish speaking penpal to engage in both reading and writing as a great addition. Eventually as you get better, you can start talking verbally with them via Skype.
Old April 20, 2011, 03:19 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
I watched The Orphanage in Spanish class a few months ago. It's a Spanish...uh horror movie. It's not very very scary, but it is kinda. and sad too.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: