Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Vocabulary > Idioms & Sayings

To piss away

An idiom is an expression whose meaning is not readily apparent based on the individual words in the expression. This forum is dedicated to discussing idioms and other sayings.

Old October 06, 2016, 08:09 PM
Opal

gareth is on a distinguished road
To piss away

Hi folks,

Could anyone do me a favour and tell me what a Spanish approximation of the English idiom "to piss away" might be? We use it meaning "to waste", as in "he pissed away all his money" or "he pissed away an opportunity". Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old October 06, 2016, 09:28 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
There are so many words in Spanish for squander, like despilfarrar and malgastar. I can't think of an idiomatic term, but maybe some others would.
Old October 07, 2016, 06:11 AM
Emerald

Native Language: Inglés
Sancho Panther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth View Post
Hi folks,

Could anyone do me a favour and tell me what a Spanish approximation of the English idiom "to piss away" might be? We use it meaning "to waste", as in "he pissed away all his money" or "he pissed away an opportunity". Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
First of all there are two things which very much require clarification particularly for the benefit of non-native English speakers; first of all they are really rather vulgar, and mildly offensive and should never be employed except among close friends; and secondly all the above mentioned expressions only ever refer to wasting or squandering wealth or other assets because of excessive drinking.

No comparable Spanish translation comes immediately to my mind and even I could think of one I would not be inclined to encourage language learners to use such terms until they were competent enough to work them out for themselves.

If this posting creates the impression of being a criticism then I'm pleased that I have succeeded.
Old October 07, 2016, 07:22 PM
Opal

gareth is on a distinguished road
Thanks, poli. Something idiomatic would suit my purposes better, but cheers.

Sancho Pather - I'm not asking so I can employ the term in my elementary conversational Spanish, but as research for a piece I'm working on about idioms. As you rightly point out, non-native English speakers unfamiliar with the phrase should exercise caution, as it might cause mild offense in certain situations. Side note: I would argue that while the phrase might originally have pertained to ruination as a result of excessive drinking (as its literal meaning suggests) it now can be used to denote reaching the same end by whatever means.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: