Old December 29, 2008, 12:25 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
Question Spanish

My brother says that people who learn Spanish are stupid. that's not true. He's learning Latin, and he keeps on jeering how I should've learned Latin like him, because Latin is better and would help me with words easily. well I don't care. I am proud of learning Spanish and I wasn't interested in Latin since 7th grade. Who cares what he says. Unfortunately, it's a huge possibility that my little brother will learn Latin just like my older brother. I am the only one in my family that knows Spanish. My brothers know some, but not as much as me..
Latin looks very interesting, but it looks hard. Was my brother right? Should I have learned Latin instead?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old December 29, 2008, 12:46 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Jchen, firstly I don't think so that this place be the correct place for your question above your brother, and second you brother is silly, he is sillier than the people who learn Spanish, I haven't nor idea what is Latin, I don't know anything above that language, but I can tell you that if you keep his game, never he won't leaves to bothering you.
Old December 29, 2008, 12:48 PM

Latin is a language..but it isn't spoken. Words come from Latin as well as Greek as some others.
Old December 29, 2008, 12:57 PM
Emerald

Native Language: spanish
lee ying is on a distinguished road
look, as you know , if we can learn whaterever languages if very important for us.
nobody can`t stoping you. you`re frre in your life,
first. you`re a student and you can see how important is to know several languages doesnt care what language are you learning the most important is to know them.
do you understand me.
each languages takes time to learn it, but your brother doesn`t care for you. because he doesn`t have to say that. he has to say. !cool! my sister is very smart. ^ _ ^.
well that`s my opinion.
Old December 29, 2008, 01:10 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
I don't care.
Old December 29, 2008, 02:14 PM

about what?
Old December 29, 2008, 03:39 PM
Emerald

Native Language: spanish
lee ying is on a distinguished road
jeesica, what do you think to do?
after that.
what are you going to say to your brother?
teach him the importants things.
how importants is to learn several languages.
You have to make it right. (never back down) (nunca te rindas) ^ _ ^`
Old December 29, 2008, 04:51 PM

Right now, the languages he know are Chinese and Latin....and a little bit of Spanish...
I'm sure he wouldn't want to learn more Spanish....he's too mean... :P
Old December 30, 2008, 01:19 AM
Pearl

ElDanés is on a distinguished road
What language to choose highly depends on what you want to archieve with learning this language. Latin is not the right language to choose if you want to be able to talk with lots of people in lots of different parts of the world - Spanish is (now when we are comparing these two languages only). Latin is a good language to choose if you want to get a better understanding of other languages. Lots of Latin words have been borrowed into other languages, and it was very inflectional, which means you have to think a lot about grammar. And Latin won't help you getting most jobs nowadays, while knowing a major language as Spanish will in most cases. Latin will probably only help you in special cases and in linguistics-related jobs.

Remember that there's nothing magical about Latin. Latin derives from Indo-European, just like more than 400 other languages do. Latin just happened to be the language of the Roman Empire and slowly began to become a lingua franca (along with Koine Greek in the east-center, in the area around Greece). Even after the fall of the Roman Empire, Latin kept its position in Europe, which it held for a long time (while Medieval Greek was used in North Africa, the Middle East and some of Europe, as it became the language of the Byzantine Empire) And that's the reason for why Latin have had such a great influence on other languages without being magical or something similar, which some people tend to think, because there's so much talk about the language.
Old December 30, 2008, 07:46 AM

that's the reason why my brother wants me to learn Latin.....not to speak a language..but to understand other languages...maybe he was right. I don't like talking and I'm bad at speaking Spanish (makes me really nervous talking to someone I don't know). Latin isn't spoken.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: