Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Vocabulary
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Grotesque / grotesco

Ask about definitions or translations for Spanish or English words.

Old August 09, 2008, 08:37 AM
Ankh-Morpork's citizen

Native Language: Spanish (Spain)
sosia has a spectacular aura aboutsosia has a spectacular aura about
hummmmhhhmmm. Elaina, you're right. (as always ). But nobody hears you....... why?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 09, 2008, 05:41 PM
The Rebel Fairy

Native Language: Spanish
María José is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaina View Post
I do believe that society plays a big role on how we view ourselves and others.

Children are predisposed to look at all the "pretty" characters in the Disney movies......aside from the big blue ogre (whose name escapes me), there are no "beasts" (Beauty and the Beast). Then all the "nice" kids in their movies or TV programs that have perfect families, perfect friends and go to perfect schools.

Kids are subjected to ridicule and abuse by their peers in school because of their social standing, physical appearance and clothes they wear.

Bulimia and Anorexia are so prevalent in our teens that it is sad to see when they become ill because of these other illnesses. They want to look like a model or at least like the teens in the movies and billboards.

As adults, obesity is a big problem along with addictions. Many television shows and programs talk about obesity in America. Obese people are targeted because of their weight.....some people can look "grotesque"......The move nowadays is the "organic" diet. Have any of you thought about the cost of buying organic food? Poor people would rather pay their rent or mortgage and other necessities than buy expensive food. Because of this, they eat the "wrong" types of food, gain weight and become the targets of ridicule. Depression is big amongst people that are overweight. We as a society are quick to point the finger and laugh at these people.

I don't think there is a person alive that can honestly say, I want to be ugly, I want to be fat, I want to look grotesque, I want to be the target of "fat" jokes, I want to be an alcoholic or a drug addict, etc.

I see so much pain and struggle in our "poor" patients and feel so helpless that it is depressing at times.

As a society, we can learn to sympathize and empathize. We can learn to be more tolerant and not look down on people because they don't look pretty or smart or healthy.........

As we are born we are all dealt a poker hand.......some of us were dealt a straight flush and others not even a pair.

Thanks for allowing me to vent this beautiful morning!

Beautifully said, Elaina. Thanks for sharing. I have always wondered why some people are given all the beauty, health, money... and others get nothing.But I've come to realize that some of those who have a lot less than I do (I'm not implying I'm rich and beautiful, but I have enough to live a decent life) are a lot happier than I am.
A couple of days ago I read this article in one of my mags about Heath Ledger and how he'll probably become a legend like Marylin and James Dean.
And I wonder, how could he have been so unhappy when he had it all? Maybe because he didn't...he didn't have what really matters, whatever that is. I'm still trying to figure it out myself.
Take care. You do a great job. You make a difference. But I guess it's difficult not to be depressed at times.

Last edited by María José; August 09, 2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old August 11, 2008, 07:48 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
La riguesa y belleza no están pegadas desde el nacimiento como gemelos siameses -- ni la obesidad, pero entiendo lo que dices, Elaina. Leí que en Los Angeles, una ciudad famosa for su comunidad glamorosa (esa palabra no existe in español ¿verdad?) y bella están prohibiendo más restaurantes de comida chatarra en en los vecindarios más pobres con la idea que la comida rápida está engordando y enfermando la comunidad. En ves de esto la ciudad está animando mercados de granja abrir alli (seguro que van a tener mucho exito en la venta donuts caseras)

En Nueva York y Chicago habian prohibido el uso del las mantecas hidrogenadas en todos sus restaurantes y pastelrías con la idea que esa prohibición mejorá la salud cardiaca de la comunidad. Leí que en lugar
de esas mantecas se usa manteca de coco y palmera mesclado
con mantequilla. Creo que esas mantecas son igualmente dañinas.
Old August 11, 2008, 11:21 AM
Filósofo y Poeta

Alfonso will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
La riqueza y la belleza no están pegadas desde el nacimiento como gemelos siameses -- ni la obesidad, pero entiendo lo que dices, Elaina. Leí que en Los Angeles, una ciudad famosa for su comunidad glamurosa (esa palabra no existe en español ¿verdad?) y bella han prohibido abrir nuevos restaurantes de comida chatarra en los vecindarios más pobres con la idea de que la comida rápida está engordando y enfermando a la comunidad. En vez de esto la ciudad está fomentando la creación de mercados de granja (seguro que van a tener mucho éxito en la venta de donuts caseros)

En Nueva York y Chicago habían prohibido el uso de las mantecas hidrogenadas en todos sus restaurantes y pastelerías con la idea de que esa prohibición mejoraría la salud cardíaca de la gente. Leí que en lugar
de esas mantecas se usa manteca de coco y palmera mezclada
con mantequilla. Creo que esas mantecas son igualmente dañinas.
It's only a brushing up. Everything can be really well understood. And it's very interesting.

We don't use comunidad with the sense of people very often. That's why I changed it once.
Old August 11, 2008, 11:51 AM
Filósofo y Poeta

Alfonso will become famous soon enough
I forgot to tell you, Poli, that there exists glamur, glamuroso, glamurosa in Spanish, imported from French.
Old August 11, 2008, 12:01 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Alfonso,
Thanks as always for your corrections and informantion.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: