Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture

Misconceptions when learning Spanish

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Old December 24, 2009, 12:00 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
@Lou Ann: Now stay alert, for that is confusing also for Spanish speakers. They tend to write "haber" instead of "a ver".

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old December 24, 2009, 12:03 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
@Lou Ann: Now stay alert, for that is confusing also for Spanish speakers. They tend to write "haber" instead of "a ver".
No, really. Seriously? Ugh! I'll definitely keep an eye out for it!
Old December 29, 2009, 02:06 PM
Emerald

Native Language: American English
Fazor is on a distinguished road
Well, my biggest misconception you guys corrected me on immediately (and I'm thankful for it!), and that was that it was typical to say the DO pronoun before each verb.

"Yo estudio español." or "Tu trabajas en la ciudad." etc. I always did think it was redundant, due to the conjugation of the verb telling you who it is referring to. But I also just thought that's how it was.
Old January 03, 2010, 08:35 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
seosamh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
I just discovered one for me.... I am definitely a person who uses "filler" words when talking (not so much when writing). I say, "ok" and "you know" and "let's see" and so on...

So I often hear Spanish-speakers saying the same thing as a filler word, and I always thought it was "haber", which really has made absolutely NO sense to me whatsoever. Hahaha!! I just realized that it's "a ver", as in "let's see". Exactly what I would say in English. NOW it makes sense! LOL!!!
hahha, thanks for clearing that up for me, i always wonder why my teacher says haber all the time! i ment to but i've never asked about it yet..
Old July 15, 2010, 09:17 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Bueno, vamos a ver..., todos muy divertidos... Cuando yo era pequeñito... supongo que como en mi avatar... oía a mi madre decir, "vamos a poner el lule en la mesa...'' and I knew "el lule" was "the oilcloth" for the table, ie., the ones used as tablecloths... then I found out it's "el hule"
Old July 17, 2010, 12:11 AM
Opal

Native Language: English
Cheshire is on a distinguished road
Para mí es muy difícil aprender nuevo vocabulario sin ver primero la palabra escrita. Era el caso con "toalla", preguntaba una y otra vez que era la palabra, y no la pude recordé. Por fin la vi en el supermercado.

¿Supongo que viene de origen árabe?
Old July 17, 2010, 02:43 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire View Post
Para mí es muy difícil aprender vocabulario nuevo sin ver primero la palabra escrita. Era el caso con "toalla", preguntaba una y otra vez que era la palabra, y no la pude recordar. [or, no la podía recordar] Por fin la vi en el supermercado.

¿Supongo que es de origen árabe?
Bueno, Moliner dice toalla (del germánico «thwahlja») y DRAE da (Del antiguo, tobaja, y este del germánico *thwahljô).

"Almohada" (pillow) sí que es de orginen árabe, pero aunque rime con "toalla", es el prefijo 'al-' el que indica que una palabra española es seguramente un arabismo, pues "al" es el artículo árabe.

He puesto correcciones en rojo, y sugerencias en azul. (Hope these help, let me know if any question.)

En cualquier caso, ¡nunca tires la toalla!
Old July 17, 2010, 07:47 AM
Pearl

Chris is on a distinguished road
When my son was very young he thought his shoes were called shoeson. I guess we had told him to get his shoes on so much that one day he asked "Where's my shoeson?"
Old July 17, 2010, 08:11 AM
Diamond

That is funny!

I was about to spell it with "a", but I restrained myself, so as to keep the decorum, manners, dignity and proper conduit!
Old July 24, 2010, 08:46 AM
Pearl

Chris is on a distinguished road
A good while back I was watching a movie that had a motorcycle gang named del fuegos. I thought del fuegos was one word, delfuegos. It took a bit of searching but I finally figured out what it meant and this sort of sparked a fuego to start learning Spanish.

Another one is that I thought "No estoy usando zapatos o calcetines." but was told I should use ni instead of o. Or and Nor can be used in the same way SOMETIMES in English.

Not really anything major but it's cool to me because I'm starting to understand some things and not just going ¿Qué? to everything that is explained to me heh.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: