Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Mis zapatos americanos

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Old March 05, 2011, 04:32 PM
Ruby

Native Language: US English
bellatter is on a distinguished road
Mis zapatos americanos

Tal vez pudiere ir a españa por un mes con mi universidad. He oído que mi zapatos americanos blancos para correr se verán un poco raro en españa. ¿Qué sería mejor? ¿Qué sería comodo para un monton de caminar y se ven bien con algo como vaqueros así que no me veré tanto como un "stupid american tourist", y también se ven bien aqui en EEUU?

Y también, ¿no se lleva pantalones cortes in españa? ¿Aún en Madrid, donde he oído que hace mucho calor en verano?

¡Gracias! Please correct any Spanish mistakes I made. Y digame si hay otras cosas que "stupid americans" llevan en españa que llaman la atención y se ven tonto.
Old March 06, 2011, 12:46 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatter View Post
Tal vez pueda ir a España durante un mes con mi universidad. He oído que mis zapatos americanos blancos para correr se verán un poco raros en España. ¿Qué sería mejor? ¿Qué sería cómodo para un monton de caminar un montón y verse y se ven bien?; con algo como vaqueros o así quizá que no me veré tanto como un "stupid american tourist", y también se ven bien aquí en EEUU?

Y también, ¿no se lleva pantalones cortos en España? ¿Aún Ni siquiera en Madrid, donde he oído que hace mucho calor en verano?

¡Gracias! Please correct any Spanish mistakes I made. Y dígame si hay otras cosas que "stupid americans" llevan en España que llaman la atención y se ven tontas.
What are "zapatos americanos blancos para correr"? Sneaker/trainer? They are common in Spain (not for working and in some discotheques they are not allowed (neither white socks), but if you feel comfortable with them for walking, there's no problem in the street.

Short trouses are common in Spain (not for working, again) but in summer! But one of the most funny things we see in tourists is a man with short trousers, socks and sandals. If you wear sandals, don't put your socks (and never white ones). Moccasins are common in summer, but not with socks. If you want to wear socks with short trousers, wear your sneakers; with them they can be white, but they must be very short (the sneakers I mean, the trousers shouldn't be too short). Anyway, socks with short trousers look like a bit ridiculous, but many people (men, above all) cannot go without socks. Jeans are common here, too.

You can wear a cap or a straw hat, too. It's too sunny here in summer. But never wear the cap as you, Americans, are used to do (well, I'm not sure, I've seen it in films), back to front; that sounds ridiculous, too. The peak is used to protect your face, not your nape of the neck.
Old March 06, 2011, 08:09 AM
Ruby

Native Language: US English
bellatter is on a distinguished road
"Tal vez pueda ir a España durante un mes con mi universidad."

Por qué no "pudiere" en vez de "pueda" ya que será en la futura? Actually, the more I think about what I was trying to say in English I can see why you're right. "I maybe will be able to" sounds wrong, though I would probably let it slip out during conversation, and "I may be able to" sounds much better. At least I got the subjunctive part right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
What are "zapatos americanos blancos para correr"? Sneaker/trainer?
Con "zapatos americanos blancos para correr" quiero decir algo así: http://amzn.com/B002TX6WQW

Todos esos consejos suenan como consejos recibirías aquí. Supongo que algunas personas solo no escuchan.
Old March 06, 2011, 02:19 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
The present subjunctive is used instead of the future subjunctive. The future subjunctive mood isn't currently used. It appears in old literary works and in some refrains. You won't hear it used in daily speech.
Old March 07, 2011, 02:02 AM
Pearl

Native Language: Castillan spanish
explorator is on a distinguished road
In my experience at the Spain's touristic places, there isn't anything, wrong in wearing white trainers, short trousers or T-shirts (in fact I usually wear white trainers, even at work). The clothing rules in Spain are not very different than those in the States or in the rest of Europe. Recently, I have seen posters banning the entrance wearing just swimming clothes into some coffe shoops and supermarkets at the coast, so you must add to your swimsuit at least a shirt or a T-shirt . By the way, what Irmamar writes about the sandals is true, but there is not any rule about it, the spanish people just find the image of one person wearing socks with sandals very weird. The private rule at some clubs or discos of banning people wearing withe socks is expecially annoyng for me, because I love wearing trainers and white socks, but if you're not allowed to enter in any of those places, because of this, you just have to look arround and go anywhere, there are lot of places where they will be pleased to let you in.

Last edited by explorator; March 07, 2011 at 02:48 AM.
Old March 07, 2011, 12:33 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
The corrections are very accurate Rusty.

I accredit your corrections in the post.

Congratulations.
Old March 07, 2011, 12:48 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
The corrections are very accurate Rusty.

I accredit your corrections in the post.

Congratulations.
Old March 09, 2011, 10:37 AM
Emerald

Caballero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
But never wear the cap as you, Americans, are used to do (well, I'm not sure, I've seen it in films), back to front; that sounds ridiculous, too.
I think I remember reading that that is how it was done in the 1990s. You must have been watching a lot of old fashioned American movies. Nowadays people wear their hats normally.

Quote:
Moccasins are common in summer, but not with socks.
Wow, that's cool. I've never seen anyone wear those in the States, except on Indian Reservations.

Last edited by Caballero; March 09, 2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old March 09, 2011, 12:11 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
I think I remember reading that that is how it was done in the 1990s. You must have been watching a lot of old fashioned American movies. Nowadays people wear their hats normally.

Wow, that's cool. I've never seen anyone wear those in the States, except on Indian Reservations.
Well, I've seen people wearing caps like this in films and series. Some people wear them so here, but that sounds too American. And I don't know how you wear a cap now, of course.

I have no idea how moccasins are there, as you can guess, but that's my idea of moccasins:

Old March 09, 2011, 02:24 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
It's true that in New York young men and children often wear caps with the brim to the side or backward. I don't know why.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: