Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

The combination of Pimsleur and Rosetta Stone

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old December 01, 2009, 02:33 PM
Ruby

ItsThaMonsta is on a distinguished road

This combination has done wonders for me. It takes 10x longer to go through Rosetta but if you do these 2 simultaneously it should work well. I initially went through discs 1,2 and 3 of RS.... I learned a ton a retained virtually everything but I had problems hearing things outside of RS. So I got got pimsleur. Because of how much I already knew from RS I decided to start at level 3 of pimsleur. I had learned a ton of new stuff and it has worked very well for learning to hear better.

Maybe its just me but I retain nearly everything from these. I do write a lot of stuff down from Pimsleur and look at it a few times a day but I have people read the English parts to me and I remember the Spanish phrases. I think this is must better than taking a class. I have almost no confidence in having a class 1 hour day and thinking that your going to learn a lot. But I do text people, IM people, and just annoy other people who do not know spanish just so I can keep a constant flow of it.

And music... Don't tell anyone but I have learned a ton from Marc Anothonys CD... even though half the lyrics are useless outside of a song.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 04, 2010, 11:53 PM
Opal

Native Language: English/ASL
Melaya is on a distinguished road
Thanks for sharing. That's close to what I'm doing. I'm using Pimsleur and Auralog with some YouTube lessons thrown in and it's really worked well for me so far.
Old January 05, 2010, 01:49 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaya View Post
Thanks for sharing. That's close to what I'm doing. I'm using Pimsleur and Auralog with some YouTube lessons thrown in and it's really worked well for me so far.
Olé ! Es así como querría aprenderlo, pero es muy caro, quizás voy a comprar Pimsleur? Yo creo que se apoya más hacía las habilidades de hablar.
Old January 17, 2010, 02:21 PM
Opal

Native Language: Dutch
Ramses is on a distinguished road
Pimsleur es bastante caro también y es bastante cutre. Sería mejor comprar DVDs con subtítulos (en español) porque ni Rosetta Stone ni Pimsleur vale mucho.
Old January 18, 2010, 09:34 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Someone has tried the Ingles sin barrera's DVD's.

Because that method to learning is very useful too.
Old February 09, 2010, 12:05 AM
Opal

william is on a distinguished road

Well, as you pointed out both Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur are language learning systems and to answer your question we should take a closer look at them. Pimsleur courses are based on listening only. This means you can learn a language anywhere - in your car, on the bus, in the waiting room of your dentist or while you are doing your housework. This approach can be quite effective because it tap into the potential of your subconscious mind.
Rosetta Stone is slightly different - it's a software program that uses interactive elements and pictures. Both systems are good and if you are keen on learning a language as fast as possible you might try Rosetta Stone in combination with Pimsleur.

Last edited by Rusty; February 09, 2010 at 09:34 AM. Reason: removed advertising
Old February 10, 2010, 08:04 AM
Opal

SomNiuS is on a distinguished road
Neither RS, nor Pimsleur would help you to learn a language, as much as your own will and capability of understanding for such a one. I'd been learning russian and english at school and unfortunatelly (with loads of sarcasm) I ended up in Madrid, Spain. Nowadays, five months later, without any past kind of studying spanish, I can trully maintain that I am able to find my way. Still have some problems with verb conjugation but that's normal, though it's my third foreign language. I've never thought that I would live and work in Spain. C'est la vie!

I'm sorry for my bad english, through the years of non-using it and lately spanish studying, such a mess has become withing my head... I hope you can understand me.
Old February 12, 2010, 05:18 PM
Opal

Native Language: Greek/Griego
Eerie is on a distinguished road
Your English are fine SomNiuS and don't worry the human mind is made like that so you can distinguish which language you're talking/listening without an effort.

Spanish is my third language too and I've been studying it for 2.5 weeks with Michel Thomas method. Since I've finished all of his CDs (Basic, Advanced, Language Builder) I might pick up Pimsleur and RS as well now.

Last edited by Eerie; February 12, 2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old February 12, 2010, 05:46 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie View Post
Your English are fine SomNiuS and don't worry the human mind is made like that so you can distinguish which language you're talking/listening without an effort.

Spanish is my third language too and I've been studying it for 2.5 weeks with Michel Thomas method. Since I've finished all of his CDs (Basic, Advanced, Language Builder) I might pick up Pimsleur and RS as well now.
Pimsluer tiene una oferta, las ocho primera lesiones por veinte dolares , pienso en intentarlo
Old February 13, 2010, 04:31 PM
Opal

SomNiuS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie View Post

Thank you, Eerie.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: