Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Si yo fuera rico…

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old June 06, 2013, 01:04 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
ricardo1968 is on a distinguished road
Si yo fuera rico…

Si yo fuera rico yo haría viajar a muchas lugares. Viví en Europa cuando fui un joven. Después escuela alta fui en el ejercito, colocado en Alemania para dos años. Pero yo no viajé muchas lugares y no aprendí alemán.

¡Que lastima!

Pero, yo fui a algunos ciudades mayor, como París, Romeo y Lindón. Les disfruto a todos.

También he visto Cuidad de México, Puerto Vallarta (dos veces), Ixtapa y Zihuatenejo.

Lugares yo gustaría a ver incluso mas de Italia y todos de España. También yo gustaría a ver la Yucatan península y Machu Pichu.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 06, 2013, 03:19 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo1968 View Post
Si yo fuera rico (yo) haría viajar ("I would travel" is a simple verb form) a muchas lugares.
Viví en Europa cuando fui un (wrong tense) joven.
Después () (missing part of the preposition) escuela alta (wrong words) fui en (use "I joined") el ejercito, colocado en Alemania para dos años.
Pero (yo) no viajé () muchas lugares y no aprendí alemán.

¡Que lastima!

Pero, (yo) fui a algunos () ciudades mayor(), como París, Romeo y Lindón.
Les disfruto a todos. (study up on how to say that you enjoyed something)

También he visto () Cuidad de México, Puerto Vallarta (dos veces), Ixtapa y Zihuatenejo.

() Lugares yo gustaría a ver incluso (needs to be a verb) mas de Italia y todos de España. (study up on how gustar is used)
También yo gustaría a ver la Yucatan península (learn how this place name is written) y Machu Pichu.
I've marked what needs fixed in red and have given some hints in purple. Empty parentheses mean that a word or a part of a word is missing.

If you have any questions, just ask.
Old June 06, 2013, 03:41 PM
Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I've marked what needs fixed in red and have given some hints in purple. Empty parentheses mean that a word or a part of a word is missing.

If you have any questions, just ask.

¡Muchas gracias!
versión corregida

Si yo fuera rico (yo)viajaría a muchos lugares.
Viví en Europa cuando era joven.
Después del colegio, me unio el ejercito, colocado en Alemania por dos años.
Pero (yo) no viajé a muchos lugares y no aprendí alemán.

¡Qué lástima!

(yo) fui a algunas de las ciudades mayores, como París, Roma y Londres. Me gustan a todos.

También he visto la Cuidad de México, Puerto Vallarta (dos veces), Ixtapa y Zihuatenejo.

Los lugares yo querría ver incluye mas de Italia y todo de España. También yo querría a ver la península Yucatán y Machu Pichu.

Last edited by ricardo1968; June 06, 2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old June 06, 2013, 03:53 PM
Señor Speedy

The first sentence is now correct.
You need to switch the verb back to ser in the second sentence. Omit 'un'.
You need an article before 'escuela'. You still need another word for 'high school'. 'Junté' is more along the lines of connecting two things together. Find another verb. (It's reflexive, by the way.)

A preposition is needed between 'algunas las'. Rome and London are still incorrect.
"Les gustan a todos." You still need to study up on how gustar works.
You're missing an article in front of 'Lugares'. A conjugation is needed before the verb 'querría'. No 'a' follows that verb. 'Incluir' needs to be conjugated. 'Mas' is misspelled.
"yo gustaría a ver" is incorrect. You don't need the 'de' between 'península de Yucatán'.
Old June 06, 2013, 05:42 PM
Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
The first sentence is now correct.
You need to switch the verb back to ser in the second sentence. Omit 'un'.
You need an article before 'escuela'. You still need another word for 'high school'. 'Junté' is more along the lines of connecting two things together. Find another verb. (It's reflexive, by the way.)

A preposition is needed between 'algunas las'. Rome and London are still incorrect.
"Les gustan a todos." You still need to study up on how gustar works.
You're missing an article in front of 'Lugares'. A conjugation is needed before the verb 'querría'. No 'a' follows that verb. 'Incluir' needs to be conjugated. 'Mas' is misspelled.
"yo gustaría a ver" is incorrect. You don't need the 'de' between 'península de Yucatán'.

Gracias otra vez.

I think I was in the middle of making changes while you were reviewing it... Hopefully anyway....
Old June 06, 2013, 07:23 PM
Señor Speedy

Much improved, but there are still things to fix.
It's better to post corrections instead of editing your previous post. That way others can see what was written and learn something, too.
Quote:
Si yo fuera rico, (yo) viajaría a muchos lugares.
Después del colegio, me unio el ejercito, y me colocaron en Alemania por dos años.
Pero (yo) no viajé a muchos lugares y no aprendí alemán.

¡Qué lástima!

(yo) Fui a algunas de las ciudades mayores, como París, Roma y Londres. Me gustan a todos. (Todos me gustaron.)

También he visto la Cuidad de México, Puerto Vallarta (dos veces), Ixtapa y Zihuatenejo.

Los lugares (conjunction needed here) querría ver incluye() mas de Italia y todo de España. También yo querría a ver la península Yucatán y Machu Pichu.
'Me gustaría ver' is more commonly said that 'querría ver'.
Study how to use gustar, encantar and disfrutarse de. You'll use the first two verbs all the time.
Old June 07, 2013, 07:21 AM
Opal

Si yo fuera rico, viajaría a muchos lugares.

Después del colegio, me unió Él ejército, y me colocaron en Alemania por dos años.

Pero no viajé a muchos lugares y no aprendí alemán.

¡Qué lástima!

Fui a algunas de las ciudades mayores, como París, Roma y Londres. Todos me gustaron

Los lugares quequerría ver incluyen más de Italia y todo de España. También yo querría ver la península Yucatán y Machu Pichu.

Rusty, you changed 'colocado'(colocar past participle) to 'me colocaron'.. "stationed" to "they stationed me", correct? If I said something like "era colocado" would that have worked? -- I was stationed--

Also, I looked at unir initially and none of the dictionaries mention it being a reflexive verb. Why are you saying to use it reflexively? uní Él ejército= I joined the army, correct. ¡No comprendo!

Also, you said to use gustar instead of disfrutar? why is one preferred over the other? I used disfrutar to avoid using the reflexive gustar because as you said, I don't really understand it.

Thanks again!
Old June 07, 2013, 05:47 PM
Señor Speedy

Quote:
Si yo fuera rico, viajaría a muchos lugares.
Después del colegio, me unió el ejército, y me colocaron en Alemania por dos años.
Pero no viajé a muchos lugares y no aprendí alemán.

¡Qué lástima!

Fui a algunas de las ciudades mayores, como París, Roma y Londres. Todos me gustaron.

Los lugares que querría ver incluyen más de Italia y todo de España. También yo querría ver la península Yucatán y Machu Pichu.

Rusty, you changed 'colocado' (colocar past participle) to 'me colocaron' ("stationed" to "they stationed me"), correct? If I said something like "era colocado" would that have worked? I was stationed. (Almost, you'd need to use estar instead of ser.) (I didn't change what you had, but wrote an alternate that made the sentence flow better in my mind. There was nothing wrong with saying "stationed," but I liked "and they stationed me" better.)

Also, I looked at unir initially and none of the dictionaries mention it being a reflexive verb. (There is a reflexive form of unirse, which is needed to say that you yourself have joined something.) Why are you saying to use it reflexively? (Without reflecting back on yourself, it just means that you have put two things together. It's the same thing as juntar. If you use the reflexive form, you'll communicate that you joined the army. You can use juntarse or unirse.) uní (here you have the verb ending spelled correctly - it is not spelled correctly in your story) Él ejército = I joined the army, correct? (No. Use unirse or juntarse. Both verbs are followed by a preposition. That is why the article is marked wrong. You changed the article to a subject pronoun and capitalized it for some unknown reason.)

Also, you said to use gustar instead of disfrutar? (I actually said 'disfrutarse de'. There's a difference.) Why is one preferred over the other? (Only because more people that speak Spanish prefer to use 'gustarle algo' instead of 'disfrutarse de algo'.) I used disfrutar to avoid using the reflexive gustar (gustar is not reflexive (a reflexive form does exist, though)) because, as you said, I don't really understand it.
There are many threads that talk about how to use gustar.
Check out this one. Perhaps that will answer your questions.

I wrote this in a thread:
In English, the sentence 'I like books' has a subject (I), a verb (like) and a direct object (books). Another way we could say the same thing in English is, "Books are pleasing to me." This latter structure is what you are using in Spanish when you use verbs like 'gustar'.

Me gustan los libros. -or- Los libros me gustan.

(The subject 'los libros' can either follow or precede the verb in Spanish.)

Students of Spanish are often taught that 'Me gustan los libros' means 'I like books', but that makes it difficult to correlate the parts of speech. This is mainly because there is no correlation.
'Los libros' is the subject in the Spanish sentence. They, the plural subject, 'are pleasing'. To whom are they pleasing? Why, the indirect object. That is the person who is pleased by the books.
So, I hope you can see that it is really misleading to say that 'I like books' is translated as 'Me gustan los libros." The better translation is 'Books are pleasing to me.' That way, everything has a correlation.

Here's a link to a web site that has some good information.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: