Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Other Languages > Other Languages

Portuguese

Being the language lovers that we are... A place to talk about, or write in languages other than Spanish and English.

Old August 18, 2013, 02:00 PM
Pearl

Native Language: Swiss German
zuma022 is on a distinguished road
Portuguese

Has anyone here studied Portuguese after studying Spanish? I'm planning on a big South America trip in about a year and would love to visit Brazil as well and I'm thinking about studying Portuguese. I love the sound of the language.

I'm worried I will confuse the languages. So I thought that my Spanish should be on a pretty good level before I attempt to add another similar language, but I was wondering if anyone else has tried it and if you have any tips or recommendations.

Thanks.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 18, 2013, 04:17 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
I briefly studied Portuguese after learning Spanish and had no problem keeping them straight in my head. I've also studied other languages and found that I can keep them all compartmentalized. Practicing all of them is the hard part.
Old August 19, 2013, 12:38 PM
Pearl

Thanks Rusty! For some reason I had thought you grew up bilingual. Yeah, putting in the time will be hard. Did you study Portuguese after you were completely fluent in Spanish?
Old August 19, 2013, 02:02 PM
Pearl

Native Language: German, Serbian & Albanian
Premium is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuma022 View Post
For some reason I had thought you grew up bilingual.
There are many things we didn't know about Rusty.
At least for the average member.
Old August 19, 2013, 04:33 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Did you study Portuguese after you were completely fluent in Spanish?
I studied Portuguese after I learned Spanish (which is what I wrote above).
Old August 19, 2013, 07:54 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Has anyone here studied Portuguese after studying Spanish? I'm planning on a big South America trip in about a year and would love to visit Brazil as well and I'm thinking about studying Portuguese. I love the sound of the language.

I'm worried I will confuse the languages. So I thought that my Spanish should be on a pretty good level before I attempt to add another similar language, but I was wondering if anyone else has tried it and if you have any tips or recommendations.

Thanks.
I learned Italian first, then Spanish and then Portuguese. A long the way I also learned French. I lived in Italy for two years and have been to France four times. My point is I see similarities in all these languages. If you speak one Latin language you can learn anyone of the others or all of them as I have.

Portuguese is closest to Spanish of the other Latin based languages. Spanish and Portuguese are some 80% the same.(Italian/Spanish 70 some % the same. However Italian is easier to pronounce because it has the exact same vowel sounds as Spanish. Spanish and Italian have 5 vowel sounds while Portuguese has more than 5. Maybe this is why they say it is even easier for Portuguese speakers to learn Spanish then visa versa. I taught ESL to adult Spanish speakers and then started getting a lot of Brazilian students. They would come in the class speaking no Spanish but then after only a couple of weeks they were speaking Spanish just from being around the Spanish speakers with no studying of Spanish per se.

Just today I was talking to an Ecuadorian friend who speaks fluent Spanish, pretty fluent Italian and is learning Portuguese on her own. She was saying how she sees the similarities in the 3 languages Spanish/Protuguese/Italian and was giving me examples.

Here are just a few examples of Portuguese and Italian similarities:
Posso is both the same
in Portuguese and Italian. Posso=puedo=I can

Hoje=hoy=oggi The letter h is silent in Portuguese, Spanish and Italian. Just another example of the similarities.
In Italian we spell it oggi but it is pronounced the same in Portuguese.

Hoje posso ir o ginásio. Oggi posso andare in palestra. Hoy puedo ir al gimnasio.

Last edited by Villa; August 20, 2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old August 20, 2013, 11:41 AM
Pearl

I know you never really finish learning, but I guess what I'm mostly wondering is when is a good time to start studying a similar language. It seems that most people learn one after the other. So at what point can you say, I'm solid in this language, let's try the next. At the end of the day, I suppose there's only one way, try and see how it goes. Thanks for the input.

I wouldn't think think that a native speaker would end up with confusing similar languages, or at least it never happened to me when I studied a bit of Dutch, but with two foreign languages that are similar to each other, it seems like a real danger.
Old August 20, 2013, 02:03 PM
Pearl

Native Language: German, Serbian & Albanian
Premium is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I wouldn't think think that a native speaker would end up with confusing similar languages, or at least it never happened to me when I studied a bit of Dutch, but with two foreign languages that are similar to each other, it seems like a real danger.
Maybe you'd get confused if you pick up Dutch and Afrikaans or Flemish at the same time. I can't really compare those three languages but they must be very similar.
I wanted to learn Portuguese, too, but firstly I barely have time to learn Spanish and secondly the similarities would drive me nuts.
As you mentioned once that your Spanish level should be around B2, I don't really think you'll have any struggle with Portuguese.

It wouldn't take me long if I'd learn Russian, Polish, Slovakian or any other Slavic language as they are all a bit similar, some less some more.

Last edited by Premium; August 20, 2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old August 20, 2013, 03:08 PM
Emerald

Liquinn3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I know you never really finish learning, but I guess what I'm mostly wondering is when is a good time to start studying a similar language. It seems that most people learn one after the other. So at what point can you say, I'm solid in this language, let's try the next. At the end of the day, I suppose there's only one way, try and see how it goes. Thanks for the input.

Estoy de acurdo contigo.

Villa, ¿Por qué te gusta la lengua portugués?
Old August 20, 2013, 03:09 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:

They say people learn best when there is a need to learn or an opportunity to learn. I lived in Italy so I had a need and a desire to learn Italian. I live in California where there are many Spanish speakers so I learned Spanish. I was around Brazilian Portuguese speakers so I learned Portuguese.

Learn Spanish well and then if you ever have a need to learn Portuguese, Italian or French you'll have a strong background to do so with your Spanish. Learning one of any of the Latin based languages is at the same time learning some of all of them. This is the beauty of learning Spanish it's will help you learn all the Latin based languages. Just another good reason to learn Spanish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn3 View Post
Estoy de acurdo contigo.

Villa, ¿Por qué te gusta la lengua portugués?
Buena pregunta, mi amiguito. Me gusta la cultura brasileña. La música, el baile y la gente. Tengo amigos que han ido a Brasil y no quieren volver.

Hace años mi sobrino fue a Brasil como estudiante de intercambio. Vivía con una familia brasileña y iba a una escuela brasileña. Le escribia en español y él me escribia en portugués. Yo le entendía y el me podía entender. A su regreso de Brasil vivió conmigo por un tiempo. Le enseñé español y él me enseñó portugués. Fuimos a los restaurantes brasileños, partidos de fútbol de Brasil y al carnaval brasileño en Hollywood, California. Más tarde tuve estudiantes brasileños en mis clases de inglés y aprendí más Portugures con ellos. Finalmente empecé a tomar clases de Jiu-Jitsu brasileño con los Gracies y los Machado de Brasil y hablaba portugués con ellos. La mayoría, si no todos los hablantes de portugués aquí en California han aprendido a hablar español porque es facil para ellos. ¿Qué te parece amigo?

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; August 20, 2013 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: