Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

El verano era/fue bueno

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old June 27, 2010, 11:56 AM
Pearl

gramatica is on a distinguished road
Thank you very much, everyone

Quote:
El verano era muy bueno (y lo gozaba). Cada día hacíamos algo divertido: íbamos a la playa, a los museos, al teatro. Y lo mas divertido fue cuando me encontre` con mi viejo amigo.
¿Tambien esta bien esta frase tal y como esta? Con "era" es mas descriptivo y lo vuelves a vivir, y la accion principal es "me encontre con mi viejo amigo"? ¿Es como decir "era muy bueno y lo gozaba hasta que fue aun mejor cuando me encontre con mi viejo amigo"?

Gracias

Last edited by gramatica; June 27, 2010 at 11:58 AM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 27, 2010, 01:05 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Tienes razón, Elaina. Both tenses can be used, but they don't mean the same thing. The imperfect is used if you are giving the details of the routine. The preterite gives the synopsis of what was done, the activities complete.

I only partially understand Crotalito's answer. I believe he's trying to say that it doesn't matter which tense you use, because both mean the same thing.
I disagree, if that is what he's trying to say.

The preterite and imperfect tenses are not the same. Nor do they translate to the same wording in English. In other words, the two sentences cannot be the same if they are written using the different tenses.
Rusty.

Finally the usages in the Spanish will be the same, when you are speaking in Spanish you won't be thinking if you should use the imperfect tense or not, finally you will say the word of the better way that you can give understand the phrase, then I believe you could use both sentences in the Spanish, although you disagree with me, I believe if you use both sentences are correct in the he's trying to say there.

I'm agree with the rules in the Spanish, instead of the Spanish language have more rules than in English language does sometimes the people don't respect the rules in the moment to speak the language.

I hope don't offend my commentary.

Last edited by CrOtALiTo; June 27, 2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old June 27, 2010, 03:36 PM
Pearl

Thank you very much, Crotalito. You agree with this right?

Quote:
El verano era muy bueno (y lo gozaba). Cada día hacíamos algo divertido: íbamos a la playa, a los museos, al teatro. Y lo mas divertido fue cuando me encontre` con mi viejo amigo.

¿Tambien esta bien esta frase tal y como esta? Con "era" es mas descriptivo y lo vuelves a vivir, y la accion principal es "me encontre con mi viejo amigo"? ¿Es como decir "era muy bueno y lo gozaba hasta que fue aun mejor cuando me encontre con mi viejo amigo"?

A few small corrections:
Quote:
Finally, the usage in Spanish will be the same when you are speaking in Spanish. You won't be thinking if you should use the imperfect tense or not. Finally, you will say the word whichever way is better so that you can understand the phrase. This is why/therefore (por eso??) I believe you could use both sentences in Spanish. Although you disagree with me, I believe if you use both sentences, they are correct in the context he's trying to use.

I agree with the rules in Spanish. However, the Spanish language has more rules than the English language does. Sometimes the people don't respect the rules when they are talking.
I hope I didn't offend you with my comment(s).
Para clarificar no se dice "in the Spanish" sino "in Spanish." Tampoco se me ocurre ningún ejemplo en que se diga "the Spanish." Also, you say "the people do not/don't" and "she/he does not/doesn't."

I hope these corrections help you. Your English is very good

Last edited by gramatica; June 27, 2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old June 27, 2010, 09:08 PM
Diamond

Thank you for the accomplish man.
Only I give my own point of view.

Although you speak the Spanish of the best way, when you are in the moment and the place indicate, not always you will use the rules in Spanish, then I believe the idea will be more easy if you learn in your own way as a time Chileno said in some post.

Then you should improve more the language with people who speak the language, and well yes I don't say you should not to learn correctly to speak the language, but there's ways and moments you should improve more with your knowledge got.

Pick it off good thinks of the post and never you forget the improvisation.

Last edited by CrOtALiTo; June 27, 2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old June 27, 2010, 09:28 PM
Pearl

Thank you very much

Does anyone else think what I wrote is also correct?

Quote:
Would this work as well?

Dice: el año pasado celebré mi cumpleaños con una fiesta. Era primavera y el jardín estaba precioso. No te puedes imaginar como era. Estaba todo el mundo. Había una tarta de cumpleaños grandísimo. Había un pinchadiscos que estaba poniendo música muy buena, y todo el mundo estaba bailando. La gente hablaba muy algo. Todo el mundo estaba muy a gusto.
(Fue (otra acción principal-se evaluó puntualmente)/era muy divertido (otro detalle).)

Thank you
Old June 28, 2010, 08:40 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramatica View Post
Thank you very much

Does anyone else think what I wrote is also correct?

Would this work as well?

Dice: el año pasado celebré mi cumpleaños con una fiesta. Era primavera y el jardín estaba precioso. ¡No te puedes imaginar como era! Estaba todo el mundo. Había una tarta de cumpleaños grandísima. Había un pinchadiscos que estaba poniendo música muy buena, y todo el mundo estaba bailando. La gente hablaba muy algo . Todo el mundo estaba muy a gusto.
(Fue (otra acción principal-se evaluó puntualmente)/era muy divertido (otro detalle).)

Thank you
I'd say "el verano fue muy bueno y lo disfruté". Gozar, at least in Spain, has a meaning slightly related to sex. I can't tell you in another countries.

I don't understand what you mean wit "muy algo": la genta hablaba mucho/poco/algo, but never "muy algo" .

Be careful when you put a comma before an "y", that's only possible in some occasions.

The verb tenses of this paragraph are correctly used.
Old June 28, 2010, 10:12 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
I'd say "el verano fue muy bueno y lo disfruté". Gozar, at least in Spain, has a meaning slightly related to sex. I can't tell you in another countries.

I don't understand what you mean wit "muy algo": la genta hablaba mucho/poco/algo, but never "muy algo" .

Be careful when you put a comma before an "y", that's only possible in some occasions.

The verb tenses of this paragraph are correctly used.
Hummie.

Gozar at least here on Mexico is like to enjoy something in your life, it can be sex, to be in the beach, to have much money, to have a girl or boy friend, it can be variated in the sense you want to give that word.

el verano fue muy bueno y lo disfruté". Gozar
Whichever I can modify the word of the follow way.

Gozé del el vernano, fue algo bueno y divertido para mí.
I believe that in Spanish this way has make more sense and I believe what it's more correct anyway.
Old June 28, 2010, 12:20 PM
Pearl

Thank you very much

Sorry, I meant "muy alto." If this is correct with "era" or "fue" or just ending without it, wouldn't "era un buen verano y lo difrutaba/lo estaba disfrutando. Cada día hacíamos algo diferente, y lo más divertido fue cuando me encontré con un viejo amigo also be correct?" Even though "fue un buen verano y lo disfruté" would also work to view the event as a whole, couldn't you go back in the middle and use the imperfect "era un buen verano?"

As far as needing a comma before "y," are the rules not the same in Spanish as they are in English. In English, if they could be two sentences, you need a comma, right?

Quote:
el año pasado celebré mi cumpleaños con una fiesta. Era primavera y el jardín estaba precioso. ¡No te puedes imaginar como era! Estaba todo el mundo. Había una tarta de cumpleaños grandísima. Había un pinchadiscos que estaba poniendo música muy buena, y todo el mundo estaba bailando. La gente hablaba muy alto . Todo el mundo estaba muy a gusto.
Thank you
Old June 29, 2010, 06:22 PM
Pearl

If this is correct with "era" or "fue" or just ending without it, wouldn't "era un buen verano y lo difrutaba/lo estaba disfrutando. Cada día hacíamos algo diferente, y lo más divertido fue cuando me encontré con un viejo amigo also be correct?" Even though "fue un buen verano y lo disfruté" would also work to view the event as a whole, couldn't you go back in the middle and use the imperfect "era un buen verano?"

As far as needing a comma before "y," are the rules not the same in Spanish as they are in English. In English, if they could be two sentences, you need a comma, right?

Tambien,
¿No se dice "las vacaciones eran inolvidables" porque estas en el medio de las vacaciones sino que "las vacaiones fueron inolvidables? ¿Se puede decir "aquel/el verano era muy divertido" para revivirlo?

-Ah. El/aquel verano era muy divertido. Cada día hacíamos algo diferente. A veces íbamos a la playa y otras veces..Eran unas vacaciones muy divertidas.

Gracias
Old June 30, 2010, 12:59 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramatica View Post
If this is correct with "era" or "fue" or just ending without it, wouldn't "era un buen verano y lo difrutaba/lo estaba disfrutando. Cada día hacíamos algo diferente, y lo más divertido fue cuando me encontré con un viejo amigo also be correct?" Even though "fue un buen verano y lo disfruté" would also work to view the event as a whole, couldn't you go back in the middle and use the imperfect "era un buen verano?"

I'd say "fue un buen verano y lo disfruté". Si estás narrando, mejor que el imperfecto, yo usaría la perífrasis "estaba siendo un buen verano".

When you're writing a simple list of words, comma is not required before "y":

Me he comprado unos zapatos, una camisa y unos pantalones.

Tambien,
¿No se dice "las vacaciones eran inolvidables" porque estas en el medio de las vacaciones sino que "las vacaiones fueron inolvidables? ¿Se puede decir "aquel/el verano era muy divertido" para revivirlo?

Fueron inolvidables, fue muy divertido. En lenguaje literario se podría hacer alguna excepción, pero yo no usaría el imperfecto en lenguaje habitual.

-Ah. El/aquel verano era muy divertido. Cada día hacíamos algo diferente. A veces íbamos a la playa y otras veces..Eran unas vacaciones muy divertidas.

Fue/fueron. Los demás tiempos están bien.

Gracias

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: