Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture

Ecuador the best and cheapest place to live in the world!

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Closed Thread

Old August 16, 2010, 03:59 AM
Opal

misterbl is on a distinguished road
Hi

I am planning to move to South America for few months, and maybe much more

I am doing some research on where is the best to go to. I want to go somewhere with a nice weather most of the year, beaches, nice people. A place where it is cheap to live to and I want to improve my Spanish.

I would like to be able to go out a little bit but it is not a must.

Hw is it living in Ecuador? Any specific city better than the other there? Or maybe is it better to go to an other country?

Thank you for your help!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 16, 2010, 04:38 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Lithuanian, Russian
HomoVulgaris is on a distinguished road
@misterbl:

Ecuador is very beautiful country, but you have to weight all cons and pros.

I you are a social type of person you will like Quito or
Guayaquil. If you want simple life, you can live in the province, like Baños, with all benefits of urban life. I would go for a montaneous region, because of moderate temperatures year round. Last time I was in Ecuador the 2 bedroom house in the suburbs was selling at around 40000 USD. Because of tax breaks, many houses and apartments are left unfinished, so you mileage can vary with this.

On the other hand, you have to take into account the risks. Many places in Ecuador are under the risk of volcanic eruptions, earthquakes and landslides. And, of course, the unstable geopolitical situation - radical leftist politicians and border conflicts with neighbours.

Other options or relocation I often hear are Panama, Costa Rica, Paraguay.

Hope this helps
Old August 16, 2010, 08:55 AM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Did we mention that Ecuador uses the American dollar so you don't have to exchange your money in Ecuador. Que bueno! Ecuador has the nicest people and the women are beautiful.
Old August 16, 2010, 11:22 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
I want to pointer the place more expensive of the word and that place is my city Ciudad del Carmen, Campeche.

Here as all the people depend of the oil this place turn to be more expensive for the products prices, here you can't go to once supermarket and only you can spend 30 USD, not here you need to spend for a good store provision as minimum you will spend around of 100 USD per family.

Then if you speak about the place cheaper in the word, the irony is that here is the place more expensive of the world.

Sincerely yours.
Old August 17, 2010, 07:08 AM
Pearl

Native Language: American English
Chris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
I want to pointer the place more expensive of the word and that place is my city Ciudad del Carmen, Campeche.

Here as all the people depend of the oil this place turn to be more expensive for the products prices, here you can't go to once supermarket and only you can spend 30 USD, not here you need to spend for a good store provision as minimum you will spend around of 100 USD per family.

Then if you speak about the place cheaper in the word, the irony is that here is the place more expensive of the world.

Sincerely yours.
Here it's also hard to go grocery shopping and spend less than 100 dollars.

Does your city use US currency? I found 500 Mexican Pesos one time. I still have it.
Old August 17, 2010, 06:05 PM
Diamond

Well the Dollar is more currency in the border than here in the southwest, here in my city is less used the dollar US, because likely the foreign people exchange their money by Mexican pesos when are they in Mexico

Therefore in my city isn't very used the America money.

For example in Reynosa City is near of the border, they the people tend to use the American money for buy their store provision in some grocery or some supermarket, in Reynosa the people can pay with Dollars and they can use the dollar as an ordinary coin, instead of my city is very hard of pay with American money in some place at least where you can see some kind of announcement where are they telling you that they accept the American money.

You told me that currently have 500 pesos Mexican, then you have around I don't know in how much is the Dollar today but your five hundred pesos are 45 USD in your country.

You can caring them, because when you can come to my country they can help you and you will can spend them.

Sincerely yours.
Old August 17, 2010, 08:45 PM
Opal

Kalmetam is on a distinguished road
That's odd...

My aunt lived in Ecuador for 18 years and can't stop going on about how dangerous it is.
She says a lot of her friends were kidnapped, they have machine guns outside of restaurants.. etc and one of her friends met my mom at a party... the friend lived in ecuador and was shot 8 times by a maid (and strangely, lived.. acted like nothing happened)

That's just what I've heard, I've never actually been to Ecuador
However, I do believe that the Galapagos are safe

Last edited by Kalmetam; August 17, 2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old August 17, 2010, 10:25 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalmetam View Post
That's odd...

My aunt lived in Ecuador for 18 years and can't stop going on about how dangerous it is.
She says a lot of her friends were kidnapped, they have machine guns outside of restaurants.. etc and one of her friends met my mom at a party... the friend lived in ecuador and was shot 8 times by a maid (and strangely, lived.. acted like nothing happened)

I understand that situation of insecurity in some country.
The same happen here in my country you've watching all around you, because you never know when someone come to you and he will put a gum over your head.

I believe that insecurity is guilt of the government well also the guilt is the fault of work in the country..

I said the question that you have are caring yourself or your family for the fault of security and it's not odd here in México.
Old August 20, 2010, 07:24 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Lithuanian, Russian
HomoVulgaris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalmetam View Post
That's odd...

I do not share the fears of your aunt regarding Ecuador - I have never seen a machine gun over there. I believe kidnappings are more things of the past.

But you can not be safe in any country without some basic common sense, I would agree on that. Atrocities do happen in every country, even the most "civilised" ones.
Old August 20, 2010, 12:33 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Thanks HV for this information. Pictures I see of Cuenca and Quito really look nice. Ecuatorian Spanish is easy to understand.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: