Old April 22, 2009, 07:49 AM
Emerald

Native Language: American English
Fazor is on a distinguished road
Spanish on TV

This is just a random comment, but last night I was watching a NOVA episode that chronicled the progress of a half-dozen doctors as they progressed through Harvard Medical School, with a follow up episode that showed each over the next 20 years. It was extremely interesting to watch these people progress through their lives.

Anyway, at one point they showed one of the doctors working with a Spanish-speaking lady. I was happy to say that I understood a decent amount of the conversation (admittedly, it was pretty basic Spanish). "Hola. Como estas?" "Un poquito mejor."

I missed some of it because the narrator was talking over it, and there were a few parts that were too fast to catch. But I understood the opening stuff, and when they left to do an eye check. Made me happy that I could at least pick some things out from speech.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 22, 2009, 07:58 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
This is just a random comment, but last night I was watching a NOVA episode that chronicled the progress of a half-dozen doctors as they progressed through Harvard Medical School, with a follow up episode that showed each over the next 20 years. It was extremely interesting to watch these people progress through their lives.

Anyway, at one point they showed one of the doctors working with a Spanish-speaking lady. I was happy to say that I understood a decent amount of the conversation (admittedly, it was pretty basic Spanish). "Hola. Como estas?" "Un poquito mejor."

I missed some of it because the narrator was talking over it, and there were a few parts that were too fast to catch. But I understood the opening stuff, and when they left to do an eye check. Made me happy that I could at least pick some things out from speech.

Means that you understand more than you are willing to admit! :-)

If you watch movies in Spanish, which you have previously watched in English, it will bring a benefit.

I always recommend a movie instead of regular TV, because it has a story to tell, a thread to it. Where as just regular TV or commercials jump from one thing to another without much, and it leaves you with a negative feeling as to how much of the idiom you can handle, and that is negative enforcement. It keeps you down and shy.

Old April 22, 2009, 08:22 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English
TJtacos is on a distinguished road
TV

Yes Spanish TV is a good way to practice I like to watch the news because I am already familiar with the stories, and newscasters seem to speaks slower and annunciate their words more and a soap or other program.
Old April 23, 2009, 03:01 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
It's a happyness when you understand almost everything of what you're listening in a foreigner language!, Well, I think,
Old April 23, 2009, 06:02 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
It's a happyness when you understand almost everything of what you're listening in a foreigner language!, Well, I think,
Of course. It always works the same with everybody to whom I have talked about this.

Fisrt you hear the language like a sound, uachu, uachu, uachu, you don't understand anything, and suddenly say you hear: "open the door" and you become thrilled!
Old April 23, 2009, 06:43 AM
rule 1: gravity

poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
I have selective understanding of Spanish. It depends upon the person. Sometimes I understand 100%, but other times 70% maybe.
Old April 23, 2009, 07:44 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
I have selective understanding of Spanish. It depends upon the person. Sometimes I understand 100%, but other times 70% maybe.
Probably is because of the accent/speech/pitch, education etc....

That is why I advise everybody to translate what you already know in your language to the other language, on the way to achieve this you'll learn some more in both languages.

One thing I realized early on, was the fact that I understood one person better than another, even though both were born in the same city, etc

I am sure the following has happened to you, and most likely to everybody:

You go with a friend to buy something to the the store, the clerk asks you, and you do not understand him. Obviously the clerk is American, but somehow you cannot make out what he is saying. On the contrary, your friend understand perfectly well, and answers to the clerk. You look at your friend amazed, and ask him:' Do you understand him", and your friend replies: "Yes, as clear as water!"

How do you feel?

Now when the same thing happens in your endeavor to try learning another language, the resulting feeling is sometimes so devastating that the person retreats and refuses to go on learning. In his/her head the excuses are generally that is too old to learn already, that maybe there is a lack of education etc...

BTW, are you Italian?
Old April 23, 2009, 08:33 AM
rule 1: gravity

poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
You're right it's accent, education, rhythm etc. I've noticed that certain countries have accents easier to understand that others.

Italiano-no soy.
Old April 23, 2009, 09:33 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Here in Europe (not in Spain) most young people of several countries speak English as if they were bilingual. I prefer speak English with a German or a Dutch than with an English (or worse, an American!), I understand better people who has not English as their first language.
Old April 23, 2009, 09:40 AM
Diamond

Quote:
You're right it's accent, education, rhythm etc. I've noticed that certain countries have accents easier to understand that others.
Of course. To me I can understand better people from California than New York or Texas or the SOUTH

Although a little intent on listening might do the trick.

Quote:
Italiano-no soy.
Oh? I though you name was Polidor@

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
Here in Europe (not in Spain) most young people of several countries speak English as if they were bilingual. I prefer speak English with a German or a Dutch than with an English (or worse, an American!), I understand better people who has not English as their first language.
Because you accustomed you ear to those accents. Some Americans have real trouble understanding people from England or Australia.

It happens to us in Spanish too!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: