Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Best way to learn new vocab?

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old January 27, 2011, 09:55 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
fireballs619 is on a distinguished road
Best way to learn new vocab?

The hardest part of learning Spanish for me is learning and remembering new vocabulary. I can usually understand and grasp new grammatical concepts, but I can't really form good sentences because my vocabulary is very limited. If I have time (as in writing a paper), I can usually manage by using a dictionary, but if I am speaking it or don't have access to a dictionary, my sentences stay very simple. What are some tricks for learning new vocab, and retaining that knowledge?

¡Gracias!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 28, 2011, 02:35 AM
Pearl

Native Language: American English
Awaken is on a distinguished road
Usually people consider Spaced Repetition Systems as the best way. You can Google it for more information. Use a simple tool like Anki for it. It takes time though even with that type of studying, so be patient.
Old January 28, 2011, 03:14 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
I find that flash cards are the most effective for me, but not for everybody. If I could rig up a system which gave me a nasty electric shock every time I got something wrong, it would be very effective.

I also think that computers are very detrimental to learning vocabulary. When you know that you can look up a word on an on-line dictionary, your brain does not register the need to remember it. If looking up a word involves using a large heavy dictionary a long way away, your brain realizes the need to remember it so you don't have to look it up again.

But that's only my theory.
Old January 28, 2011, 08:12 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
The best way to learn new words is to use them and practice with them.
Flashcards are a good idea, and if you use each of those words in sentences and make new examples of their use, you'll incorporate them naturally to your "stock".
Old January 28, 2011, 04:02 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
I can understand your case, sometimes that happening me, because when I try to learn a new word or phrase in English, particularly my head blocked itself, and I can't think clearly therefore, I have to read a lot of all the days, inclusive my reports work are written in English specially addressed to my boss.

I invite you to practice and read more in Spanish or English any language you wish.
Old January 28, 2011, 04:18 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Translate a novel from Spanish to English, by transcribing it in Spanish to a book and then transltate the words and look for/figure out their pronunciation.

You'll be up to speed in no time at all...
Old January 28, 2011, 07:37 PM
Señor Speedy

Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
I agree that practicing the new word is the best approach.

By practicing, I don't mean repeating the word over and over.
I'm suggesting that you make up useful Spanish sentences that incorporate the new word in context. Make sure there is at least one word in each sentence that agrees in number and gender with the new word. If the word is an object, picture that object in various places or from different angles and then write what you see (describe the picture). Your brain will have ready access to the imagery and the Spanish grammar that goes with it. There won't be a translation from English to Spanish, because everything will have been committed to memory in Spanish.
Old January 28, 2011, 09:29 PM
Emerald

Caballero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I invite you to practice and read more in Spanish or English any language you wish.
I know a smattering of several languages, but out of all of them, Spanish is the only one in which there are actually books I can actually understand beyond "Dick and Jane have a dog named spot," as well as Portuguese, French (but both are harder to comprehend than Spanish), and to a lesser extent the other Romance languages. All other languages, it seems to me, that you must get to a rather advanced level before you can get much out of reading or read anything remotely interesting.
Old January 28, 2011, 09:50 PM
Pearl

Chris is on a distinguished road
Being able to see an object helps. For example I may never forget what a manzana is or a sandía because I have the apple and watermelon locked into my head. There are flashcard sites that have an image and the Spanish word.

I'm defiantly trying that SRS program.

@iamatomic
Old January 28, 2011, 09:55 PM
Ruby

Jamie is on a distinguished road
Like said before, simply trying to repeat the words over and over again may help you to remember them better. For example, once you learn a word, you could try to repeat it to yourself a few times and then try to make a few sentences using the vocabulary you already know.

Then, when you have some free time, you could try typing or writing down the words a couple of times and then try writing out some sentences.

Another thing that may help you would be to try to learn a word or a few new words a day and try to use them at various times throughout the day, so that you can remember them easier.

Practice makes perfect!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: