Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar

Upper- or lowercase?

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old October 28, 2010, 09:05 PM
Ruby

Native Language: American English
Feliz is on a distinguished road
Upper- or lowercase?

¡Ayuda! Something doesn't look right here. "Native Language: Inglés Americano" From the Spanish grammar that I am aware of already, I believe the "Americano" above should read: "americano" in this instance. Will someone please verify this for me? Gracias.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old October 28, 2010, 10:17 PM
Señor Speedy

Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Names of languages are written in lowercase, except when they begin a sentence or appear in titles, menus, or lists. I believe this to be the case, but I couldn't find these rules in the official rulings.

For the 'Native Language:' field, which can be considered a menu or list item, I've mostly seen a capital letter used. And, if the name of your language is composed of two words, I would think that both should start with a capital letter.
A ver que opinan los demás.
Old October 28, 2010, 11:30 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Well, in the official rules you have
6.7. Los nombres de tribus o pueblos y de lenguas, así como los gentilicios: el pueblo inca, los mayas, el español, los ingleses.

I think, though, that the influence of English on this subject is ever more prevalent... and while Spaniards tend to be more "conservative" on that, my perception is that the trend goes toward making Upper case what is upper case in English... as it can be seen in this rule,
4.10. Los nombres de vías y espacios urbanos. Al igual que en el caso de los nombres geográficos, solo el nombre propio debe ir escrito con mayúscula, y no los nombres comunes genéricos que acompañan a este, como calle, plaza, avenida, paseo, etc., que deben escribirse con minúscula: calle (de) Alcalá, calle Mayor, plaza de España, avenida de la Ilustración, paseo de Recoletos. Sin embargo, se escribirán en mayúscula los nombres genéricos de vías o espacios urbanos procedentes del inglés: Oxford Street, Quinta Avenida, Central Park, como es usual en esa lengua.

So, strictly speaking in Spanish would be "inglés americano" in lower case... but again, if one wants to "promote" his/her origins and culture, I don't find "incorrect" "Inglés Americano"...
Old October 28, 2010, 11:59 PM
Ruby

Feliz is on a distinguished road
Reply to thread

Gracias Rusty and JPablo. I will assume, then, that "americano" can be used in more general terms and "Americano" when trying to be more specific. That is the way that I have seen these words used already come to think of it. Thanks for the information and link to la RAE diccionario--I will be using this site a lot from now on. ¡Otro recurso excelente!

Last edited by Feliz; October 29, 2010 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Italics
Old October 29, 2010, 04:32 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
"Inglés Americano" looks like the title of a book or an article. Nobody would write "Árabe" or "Chino Cantonés" or "Tagalo". The same way, nobody would write the noun "inglés" with capital i, least the adjective "americano" with capital a. "Inglés Americano" is simply "un anglicismo" and the fact that many can write it surely matches their cultural area, including native teachers that develop a sort of jargon ("que un nativo lo confirme").
Old October 29, 2010, 06:15 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
No sé qué hay de malo en usar "nativo" como expresión de hablante nativo. En lingüística se usa HN (hablante nativo), HNN (hablante no nativo) o HNC (hablante nativo culto).

Con darse una vuelta por algún artículo del cvc Cervantes, se puede comprobar.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: