Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework

Spanish Presentation

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old January 26, 2013, 09:46 AM
Opal

ObliviousMemories is on a distinguished road
Spanish Presentation

I have a Spanish Presentation for Monday (I did not find out until yesterday...)

It has to be 2-3 minutes long so I'm thinking just over 200 words if I keep a nice, steady pace.

There's also a questions portion at the end so our teacher has given us likely questions, I'm studying the answers along with vocab, et c.

Could you possibly help with the presentation itself? Just conjugation/grammar wise as I'm not too good with noticing mistakes.

This is the first half:

Quote:
Originally Posted by En Español
Hola, hoy voy a hablar de mis vacaciones.

Hace dos años mí familia y yo fuimos a Espana. Alojabamos en un parador, pero era bastante barato. ¡Qué raro!

El primer día en España fuimos al centro commercial a mirar escaparates. Tuviera mas dinero hubiese gustado comprador mas cosas – pero lo que no cuesta dinero siempre es bueno. Después de eso hicimos alpinismo y fuimos a la playa porque queríamos nadar en el mar. ¡Lo mejor de la playa era que hízo demasiado calor!

Para mí, ¡me gustado comida espana porque era muy saludable! ¡Ensalada, hamburguesa, pollo y mas! Sin embargo(missing punctuation) (missing punctuation)era muy caro!

Encantaba ir a España porque el Españoles eras mucho simpaticos y la clima era mucho mejor que la clima en Gales. A pesar de que le dije que no me gustaba el calor me prefieran un clima muy frío.

Más tarde volvímos al parador. ¡Era horrible! Nada funcionaba. La lampara, el ascensor ¡Incluso el bano no funcionaba! No aguanto estar sucio. Me saca de quicio - pero tenía una toalla, champú y jabon muy pequenito.

El proxímo ano voy a ir a Francía. Tengo ganas a ir francia porque es muy bonita pero caro. Voy a volver a España algún día, porque disfruté mis vacacions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by In English
Hello, today I'm going to be talking about my holidays.

A year ago I went to Spain with my family. We stayed in a parador, but it was quite. How rare!

On the first day I went to Spain we went to the shopping centre to window shop. If I had more money I’d like to buy more stuff – but the best things in life are free. After that we did rock climbing and we to the beach because we wanted to swim in the sea. The worst thing about the beach was that it was too hot!

For me, I liked the food in Spain because it was very tasty! Salad, burgers, chicken and more! However it was very expensive!

I loved going to Spain because the Spaniards were very kind and the weather was much better than the weather in Wales. Even though I said I didn't like the hot weather I prefer it to very cold weather.

Later we came back to the parador. It was horrible! Nothing worked. The lamp, the lift, even the bathroom didn't work! I can’t stand being dirty. It irritates me – but we did have a towel, shampoo and a very small bar of soap.

Next year I want to go to France. I want to go to France because it is very pretty but expensive. I will return to Spain some day, because I enjoyed my holiday.
I think the check list for things we have to include (content wise) is where we went, who we went with, what we did there, opinion, reason, time expressions, idioms then - present/preterite/imperfect and future/near future. This is high school/GCSE level... My first presentation.

So yeah, if you could help me that would be fantastic and any other learning/memorising tips, especially for presentations and I will be extremely grateful.

(Going through it, I am noticing very silly mistakes myself so sorry for the scruffy grammar. I've added the second parts in, hopefully this will amount to 2-3 minutes.)

Last edited by ObliviousMemories; January 26, 2013 at 10:55 AM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 26, 2013, 10:25 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Hola, hoy voy a hablar de mis vacaciones.

Hace dos anos con mí familia y yo fuímos a Espana. Me aloje (this verb should agree with the subject you used in the previous sentence) en un parador, pero era bastante barato. ¡Que Raro!

El primer día en Español fuímos al centro commercial a mirar (los) escaparates. Tuvería mas dinero habria gustado comprador mas cosas (see below) – pero lo que no cuesta dínero siempre es bueno. Después de eso hicimos alpinismo y fuímos a la playa porque hemos queríamos nadar en el mar. (missing punctuation)Lo mejor de la playa era que era (this is where the conjugation of 'hacer' belongs) demasiado hizo calor!

Para mí, (missing punctuation)me gustado comer en (you wrote 'food' in your English version) espana porque es (tense agreement) muy saludable! ¡Ensalada, hamburguesa, pollo y mas! Sin embargo(missing punctuation) (missing punctuation)era muy caro!
I marked what needs fixed in red, and have given you a few hints in purple. (There's an 'Accents' drop-down menu just above where you type that can be used to insert the special characters, like the 'ñ' in 'año'. Without the right letter, it's a totally different word. )

"If I had more money" - This clause is subjunctive in nature (if you don't have something, the subjunctive mood is needed to express that). The imperfect subjunctive form of the verb is required.
"I would have liked" - This clause has a verb in the perfect conditional (it contains the helping verb 'have' and a past participle). The same conjugation exists in Spanish.
This site has a verb conjugator. At the top left-hand side of each page, you'll see a dialog box that has 'Search' written in it. Replace that with 'conj:tener' to get the conjugations for the verb 'tener'.
Old January 26, 2013, 10:33 AM
Opal

Thank you for the help, like I said I'm noticing a lot of the sillier mistakes myself. I'm just in a bit of a rush because learning this much Spanish is a lot for me to do in a week - let alone two days, let alone with the amount of other homework I have. I'll get on making changes, proof reading as much as I can, et c. ¡Gracias! Also I looked up "ano" without the ñ.

Also I think I've pretty much corrected everything apart from... "Sin embargo (missing punctuation) (missing punctuation)..." I'm guessing one of them is for the inverted exclamation mark but the other? Maybe I'm missing the obvious.

Last edited by ObliviousMemories; January 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old January 26, 2013, 12:04 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
"However" should be followed by a comma, in both languages. The other missing punctuation was the inverted exclamation mark, as you stated.

Quote:

Hace dos años mí familia y yo fuimos a Espana. (missing something here) alojabamos en un parador, pero era bastante barato. ¡Qué raro!

El primer día en España fuimos al centro commercial a mirar escaparates. Si tuviera mas dinero, (missing something here) hubiese gustado comprador mas cosas – pero lo que no cuesta dinero siempre es bueno. Después de eso hicimos alpinismo y fuimos a la playa porque queríamos nadar en el mar. ¡Lo mejor de la playa era que hízo demasiado calor!

Para mí, ¡me gustado (missing article) comida espana porque era muy saludable! ¡Ensalada, hamburguesa, pollo y mas! Sin embargo(missing punctuation) (missing punctuation)era muy caro!

(missing something here) encantaba ir a España porque el Españoles eras mucho simpaticos y la clima era mucho mejor que la clima en Gales. A pesar de que le() dije que no me gustaba el calor me prefieran (it I prefer (to)) un clima muy frío.

Más tarde volvímos al parador. ¡Era horrible! Nada funcionaba. La lampara, el ascensor, ¡Incluso el bano no funcionaba! No aguanto estar sucio. Me saca de quicio - pero tenía una toalla, champú y (un poco de) jabon muy pequeñito.

El proxímo ano voy a ir a Francía. Tengo ganas a ir (missing something here) francia porque es muy bonita, pero caro. Voy a volver a España algún día, porque disfruté mis vacacions.

preferir algo a otra cosa
disfrutarse de algo = enjoy something

Last edited by Rusty; January 26, 2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old January 26, 2013, 12:08 PM
Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
"However" should be followed by a comma, in both languages.
As I said, missing the obvious. :P Thank you so much, you've been so much help. Now to learn this in one and a bit days... Lordy lord.
Old January 26, 2013, 12:42 PM
Opal

I'm having a few issues with the "I prefer the hot to the cold" sentence.

A pesar de que le dije que no me gustaba el calor preferir un clima muy frío..? I'm really lost, haha.

It's supposed to be

"Even though I said I didn't like the hot weather I prefer it to very cold weather."

Last edited by ObliviousMemories; January 26, 2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old January 26, 2013, 01:01 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
"Preferir" needs to be conjugated in the first person singular, in indicative mood. So far, you have used a subjunctive structure meaning "that they would prefer me" or something like that (me prefieran).

Also, you need an OD pronoun before the verb and a preposition after the verb. Rusty has already provided you with the hint you need to write it right.
Old January 26, 2013, 01:08 PM
Opal

I think I'm just going to reword the way I say it, because I need to be confident in what I'm saying at least, and that means understanding it. :P Thanks for the help though guys, it's really appreciated.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: