Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

Teaching English Abroad

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old January 29, 2013, 09:31 AM
Pearl

Native Language: American English
Awaken is on a distinguished road
Teaching English Abroad

Has any one of the native English speakers here done an English teaching trip abroad in a Spanish Speaking country? I had a friend who did it and seemed to enjoy it, but I'm interested in how it works really. She came back with a better understanding of Spanish for sure, but after 6 months definitely wasn't even close to fluent. Probably not even Intermediate.

Do you need to know Spanish at least a little to be teaching English? I just am curious about it because it seems like an interesting way to visit Europe where it is partially funded and able to learn the language.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 29, 2013, 10:55 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
I was watching a program from my country and you really don't need to know Spanish to teach English.

As far as learning Spanish while doing such a trip is up to each person....

Last edited by chileno; January 31, 2013 at 06:36 AM. Reason: oops...to change after for while :)
Old January 29, 2013, 12:38 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post
Has any one of the native English speakers here done an English teaching trip abroad in a Spanish Speaking country? I had a friend who did it and seemed to enjoy it, but I'm interested in how it works really. She came back with a better understanding of Spanish for sure, but after 6 months definitely wasn't even close to fluent. Probably not even Intermediate.

Do you need to know Spanish at least a little to be teaching English? I just am curious about it because it seems like an interesting way to visit Europe where it is partially funded and able to learn the language.
Hola/Hello Awaken. I went to school in San Miguel De Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. I lived with a Mexican family while there. I already knew how to speak Spanish and took the highest level of classes they had. While there I helped the lower level students learn Spanish. I married a native Spanish speaker and had to learn Spanish from nothing but I had the advantage of knowing Italian since I had lived and went to school in Italy.

Any way I taught English as a second language for years to adults and it was an advantage to know Spanish since most of my students spoke Spanish. I also had students that spoke many other languages so obviously you can't know all languages. My sister for example only speaks English and she taught E.S.L for years to adults. Her students were from Cambodia and could not even read or write their own language. She would have over 40 students in her classes. I use to go and watch her teach. The students were very respectful to her and she loved them as they loved her.

There are some 1,000 U.S. military bases all over the world. They are in Spain, Italy, Germany, Japan, Korea, Guam and who knows where else. Any way some 700 countries around the world have U.S. military bases.
Most of these bases have K through high school programs and need teachers. I was in Vicenza, Italy and the U.S. Army base there had a full K-12 program. All the teachers were civilians. Many of the teachers have been there for years. Some over 20 years. One of my friends was a full time sub teacher for them(Vicenza, Italy) and worked almost every day. He also tutored students after school. He told me about DoD for getting a job in Italy or any country that has U.S. military people. Think about it. They need teachers of all subjects and coaches for most of the major sports. Vicenza, Italy American high school has all the major sports including American Football, basketball, track and soccer. Do you know how to coach a sport?

If you want a job teaching abroad go here:

DoD jobs DoD civilian employment job listings

Last edited by Rusty; January 29, 2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: merged back-to-back posts, removed formatting
Old January 29, 2013, 03:54 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
I haven't taught overseas. During my time as an exchange student in Nicaragua some 36 years ago the regular English teacher at the school I attended, who was a native speaker of Spanish, went on sabbatical for the 2nd half of the school year. The substitute was a nun from Delaware who had been living and working in Nicaragua for some time, and she had a very strong US accent and made many grammatical errors when speaking Spanish, but her imperfect Spanish did not stop her from teaching English effectively. And at the ESL program where I worked on the support staff between 1983 and 1987 most of the students shared a first language with only a few other students in their class, and most students did not have a teacher who spoke the student's first language; however, a typical student would learn English equally well regardless of whether or not the teacher also spoke the student's first language.

From what I've observed, spending a lot of time conversing in English can make the process of learning Spanish slower compared to having few or no opportunities to resort to English in order to be understood.

Last edited by wrholt; January 29, 2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old January 29, 2013, 09:15 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
@Awaken: As a language teacher, the only language you must speak in your classroom is the one you're teaching. No other.
Of course, speaking the language of the country where you are, will help you identify the difficulties students may have, but knowing their language is not necessary.
Old January 29, 2013, 09:54 PM
Pearl

Native Language: English
caliber1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa View Post
Hola/Hello Awaken. I went to school in San Miguel De Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. I lived with a Mexican family while there.
I just want to add that I'm soooooooooooo jealous of those who have gotten to study abroad and/or have had an immersion time while living in a foreign country . A guy at my church lived with a family in Mexico for 4 months. If I could do it, I'd do it in a heartbeat. A little off topic, but I needed to get that off my chest

Last edited by Rusty; January 29, 2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old January 30, 2013, 01:08 PM
Pearl

Won't it depend on the speakers? I can't imagine if I walked into my Spanish 1 class and the teacher only spoke Spanish. Starting from zero, it would have been a nightmare. In high school, 2nd semester Spanish 2 is when the teacher switched over to full Spanish.
Old January 30, 2013, 07:39 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Believe me, when confronted with that situation and you have to perform, even your hair serves the purpose of an antenna, receiving at that...

and your mind? races at a million rps
Old January 30, 2013, 08:38 PM
Pearl

Native Language: English
caliber1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Believe me, when confronted with that situation and you have to perform, even your hair serves the purpose of an antenna, receiving at that...

and your mind? races at a million rps
Lol! Bien dicho
Old January 31, 2013, 06:53 AM
Pearl

Fair enough. I can't say my motivation in high school matches my actual desire to learn it these days.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: