Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Your favorite Spanish media?

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 29, 2014, 02:46 AM
Opal

Sami is on a distinguished road
Your favorite Spanish media?

Hello, all!

My name is Sami [I'm new here], and I'm currently studying in Japan at an international university. While here, I've had the opportunity to interact with a number of native Spanish speakers, and have realized a notable issue with how I've learned Spanish (I just read, a lot). That is, I've got a very difficult time understanding what people tell me in Spanish. That seems to be the opposite problem that most people have - I find it very, very simple to talk and can do so at a relatively normal pace. And of course, if anything is written, I've got close to no difficulty understanding it.

My goal to mend this is simply to immerse in more Spanish media, because my overwhelming issue is simply hearing the actual words being spoken - unless I'm really, really, really trying to listen, speech tends to sound like an unintelligible buzz. I'm comfortable enough with Spanish that I don't need to translate my thoughts or what I read, and I can normally understand from context if I don't know a word - I just haven't had an auditory aspect to the language whatsoever, so I'm wanting to catch up here. To put that in perspective, I've been living and studying in Japan for only 4 months, but my ability to hear/dictate Japanese is already leagues ahead of my ability to do so in Spanish.

So, that being said - I'm looking for recommendations about things to listen to or watch - preferably something to watch with subtitles. So far as music goes, I enjoy a wide variety of things - more poppy Latin like Reik or Camila, more traditional soundings things like Juan Luis Garcia or Elefante, and softer things like La Oreja de Van Gogh or the older Luis Fonsi. I haven't dug into very much television content, but I have really enjoyed the bit of Chavo del 8 that I've watched. I am interested in comedy in general.

I'm looking forwards to interacting with others here, it looks like a neat corner!
Sincerely,
Sami

(Si tu solo hablas en español, estoy buscando por unas recomendaciónes en comedias de televisión, de modo que puedo mejorar mi abilidad a escuchar en español. Muy gracias! )

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: