Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Listening

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old May 12, 2010, 05:23 AM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
Listening

I have trouble with listening skills. when it comes to doing the audio activities at school, some are really hard, some are easy. They just speak too fast and some of the words that are pronounced I know but I don't recognize them.

same when we watched the video (La Katrina). I can't get any of the questions

and I also have problems with speaking. not only that, I have problems with the R and L sound in English as well as Spanish

advice?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 12, 2010, 08:09 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
I have trouble with listening skills. when it comes to doing the audio activities at school, some are really hard, some are easy. They just speak too fast and some of the words that are pronounced I know but I don't recognize them.

same when we watched the video (La Katrina). I can't get any of the questions

and I also have problems with speaking. not only that, I have problems with the R and L sound in English as well as Spanish

advice?
Do you like Latin music?

If so, sing songs from your favorite Spanish singer (if you have one) and sing out loud. See if you want to record yourself and compare that to the original song, etc.

Edit:

I remember you stating you had an Ipod and it was boring or something... put it to good use now!

Last edited by chileno; May 12, 2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old May 12, 2010, 08:12 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
I believe that you should to have a headphones and well just you should to repeat each you listen the word that you don't understand.

Because I don't know any other way that you can understand better the words, you know the Spanish when is spoken for a native is more hard to understand them, already that the velocity with that they speak the language is normal to the understanding of the person.

Likewise you most to try of understand them and write it, the same time.
You should to have a little notebook in the moment that you are listening them, so you can write word by word and study them later.

Good luck in your learning.
Old May 12, 2010, 06:00 PM

the problem is that it's from a recorder thing and all of us listen to it (in the class) and of course in a test we can't do that. It's repeated only 2 times

so I can't use headphones

I am going to search the internet for any more help. thanks both of you. and chileno, I will take your suggestion although my mp3 has been having problems lately -_-
Old May 12, 2010, 06:02 PM
Diamond

Quote:
the problem is that it's from a recorder thing and all of us listen to it (in the class) and of course in a test we can't do that. It's repeated only 2 times

so I can't use headphones

I am going to search the internet for any more help. thanks both of you. and chileno, I will take your suggestion although my mp3 has been having problems lately -_-
Then it's hard your situation.
I believe that you could to record the word in your cell phone device.
I don't know it's just a suggest.
Old May 12, 2010, 06:09 PM

nah I have no cell phone although you did give me an idea I could record it on my mp3 although during tests I definitely can't
Old May 12, 2010, 06:13 PM
Diamond

Quote:
nah I have no cell phone although you did give me an idea I could record it on my mp3 although during tests I definitely can't
I haven't idea then.
Old May 12, 2010, 06:39 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
@Jessica: there is no magic solution that will help you understand better for the next exam, but if you dedicate constant efforts every day to practice, you'll see progressive results.
If your PC has speakers, listen to podcasts (you don't have to download them to your mp3), try streaming radio or youtube videos in Spanish, and do as Chileno says, read aloud and listen to yourself.
Old June 30, 2010, 07:56 AM
Opal

adfsdu is on a distinguished road
You can download and install the software of Panopreter Plus on your Windows Vista or 7 computer, the software will read aloud the word, phrase or a long text with the voice of Microsoft Anna which is Microsoft's default English voice for Windows vista and 7. You can adjust the reading volume and rate, it's very helpful for you to improve listening and pronunciation skills. Best of all, the application can convert the text into mp3 audio file, so you can listen to it with your portable devices such as iPod.

It also includes Panoprter toolbar which can read text on the web page opened with Internet Explorer. You can surf online and listen to the reading.

To improve Spanish listening and pronunciation skills, you have to download and install a Spanish voice engine, then Panopreter Plus will speak in Spanish or convert Spanish text to mp3 audio files. To improve French listening skills, install a French voice engine on the computer...

Last edited by Tomisimo; July 06, 2010 at 11:40 AM. Reason: rm url
Old June 30, 2010, 10:16 AM
Diamond

But you need a microphone first, then when you download the software you already have installed the microphone and configured the microphone in the CPU.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: