Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Listening

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old November 08, 2010, 06:01 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Yes, I was serious...
I.e., I was not putting them as the archetype of diction and eloquence, but something that can be followed, the same way I can follow an Indian speaker or a German for that matter...
If we do a thread on "correct" English and/or people to imitate, that'll be another subject entirely...

America and planet Earth has many "English" accents and (bad) pronunciations, etc., but one has to practice to understand any of those...

The "exercise" of this thread (as I understood it) is to be able to "listen" / "understand" what the 733H are they saying...

If we have a thread on "how to speak"... well... let's do one thread for American, and one for British... (and one for Australian and another for Texan...)

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old November 08, 2010, 06:28 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPablo View Post
Yes, I was serious...
I.e., I was not putting them as the archetype of diction and eloquence, but something that can be followed,
Ah ok, that's a relief. I thought you were presenting them as examples to be followed. I found her impossible to understand. In fact, I felt myself getting angry because she couldn't be bothered to open her mouth, so I'm not going to be bothered to try and understand.
Old November 08, 2010, 06:50 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Yeah... "a tu aire, hombre... a tu aire"

I've sometimes had quite a hard time to understand a "standard" American accent... and it is interesting to be able to understand someone who is stressed out and "trying to be clear"... I guess it all depends on the context and what you want to achieve...

For a Police Officer working with some specific type of people, his/her ability to listen and understand what some people are talking about may be very useful... specially when the 'standard' they are using is "sub-standard" or let's say "a different" standard...
Old November 08, 2010, 07:10 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
Ah ok, that's a relief. I thought you were presenting them as examples to be followed. I found her impossible to understand. In fact, I felt myself getting angry because she couldn't be bothered to open her mouth, so I'm not going to be bothered to try and understand.
Although I understand your position on this, unfortunately for the rest of the people, the mere mortal has to deal with precisely the kind of people you don't like.

Now, what can an English leaner do when faced with that situation? Follow your advice and turn around and not be bothered?
Old November 08, 2010, 05:11 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
@Perikles: I'm with you there... That's certainly very uncomfortable to hear... it's not only the voices, but also the bad quality of the recording.

But I'm also with Chileno on what he's just said: my life at the university would have been much easier if my "asesor de tesis" would have spoken a little more clearly.
Old November 09, 2010, 01:37 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
@Perikles: I'm with you there... That's certainly very uncomfortable to hear... it's not only the voices, but also the bad quality of the recording.

But I'm also with Chileno on what he's just said: my life at the university would have been much easier if my "asesor de tesis" would have spoken a little more clearly.
I'm glad I'm not alone, and yes, Chileno is quite right, sometimes you do not have the freedom not to bother listening.
Old February 08, 2011, 11:01 AM
Diamond

More listening practice - this time, short and easy.

Old February 09, 2011, 01:50 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
I can't understand them.

They are from U.S.A or Canadian people.
At least they speak very fast.
Old February 09, 2011, 02:29 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
She is basically asking the couple what they want to do with the money that they've won....
Old February 09, 2011, 06:53 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
She is basically asking the couple what they want to do with the money that they've won....
Ok.

Thank you for the information.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: