Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

Favorite Spanish program/book?

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old March 23, 2016, 10:02 PM
Ruby

AlwaysLost is on a distinguished road
Favorite Spanish program/book?

So I am taking Spanish at the local community college and watching all those quirky Master OF Memory videos on YouTube. But I am looking for a slightly more polished program to take during my summer break. I don't just want to talk to my Spanish coworkers(some of them by the way hate it when I speak Spanish to them, there is what seems like some racism towards whitey)... But I do want something I can work with so I can go into 2nd semester Span with more understanding than I had before.

For those who haven't read my intro, my Span teacher is using about an 85% immersion and has lost much of the class. She teaches the next semester as well, so me being even stronger going back into it is needed.

Edit: I can't spend 200$+ on Rosetta, so anything with the 50$ or less is much appreciated.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old March 23, 2016, 10:11 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Look here for a recommendation.
Old March 24, 2016, 07:14 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Online newspapers like El País, ABC, Clarin, Excelsior offer a variety of articles. The subjects that interest you will be easier to read. If you live in New York El Diario is a daily for 50 cents at news stands with a variety of articles. I like El País. All these papers will improve your vocabulary
Old March 28, 2016, 06:13 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
Natalie382 is on a distinguished road
Hi AlwaysLost. I'm new here an often lost myself.

Have you looked at Podcasts? My favorite is Coffee Break Spanish, by Radio Lingua. Each episode is about 20 minutes long (about as long as a coffee break, I guess). Depending on your level of Spanish, you may need to skip several/many lessons to get to the point that they are helpful.

The podcasts are free, but there is extra material on the website (including transcripts) that one can pay for if desired.

Another idea... Extra Español on YouTube is helpful for listening practice. It is a rather silly sitcom designed for Spanish students. There is also a soap opera style show called Destinos, also designed for Spanish learners. I think you can find that on YouTube also, but you may need to just google it.

Have you looked at the Duolingo app? It is a nice extra thing to do.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Natalie382; March 28, 2016 at 08:02 PM. Reason: adding
Old March 28, 2016, 11:48 PM
Ruby

AlwaysLost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie382 View Post

Have you looked at the Duolingo app? It is a nice extra thing to do.
I'll have to check out the others, but I will say that Doulingo was an amazing waste of time. I spent 10-15min a day for 3 weeks before class and it helped me none. The structure is just too bad to learn quickly from.

Thankyou for the other recommendations though.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: