Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > The Tomísimo Lounge > General Chat
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

About me!

Talk about anything here, just keep it clean.

View Poll Results: I am good or bad in English
I am in the good road? 5 83.33%
Definitely I'm bad for English language? 2 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 16, 2010, 12:16 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English
Tarential is on a distinguished road
It'd be even better if I thought I knew how to pronounce it. I'm thinking "Pijeen" but I'm probably wrong.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 16, 2010, 12:17 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Hi Tarential, I didn't say nor implied your "reasoning is flawed". I said, "You probably are right".
I translate my Spanish, so there is no misunderstanding,

@Tarential.
Probablemente tengas razón. = You probably are right.

Tú puedes practicar más tu español, y Crotalito puede ser un poquito más cuidadoso al escribir... pero la espontaneidad a la hora de comunicar es importante. = You can practice more your Spanish, and Crotalito can be a little bit more careful in writing... but the spontaneity when communicating is important.

Un 'nativo' puede comunicar de forma espontánea sin tener que "pensar". = A 'native' can communicate in a spontaneous [natural] way without having to "think".

Yo cuando escribo en inglés, puedo hacerlo "pensando en inglés", pero Crotalito "piensa en español" y escribe inglés con esa base gramatical (como indica Irma). = When I write in English, I can do it "thinking in English," but Crotalito "thinks in Spanish" and writes English with that grammatical basis (as Irma indicates [points out]).

Tú puedes pensar en inglés y escribir en español... y llegará un día en que ya no te preocuparás de ver en qué piensas... porque piensas en conceptos sin importar que "molde" (idioma) usas para comunicar esos conceptos. = You can think in English and write in Spanish... and the day will come where you will not worry about thinking about what [language] you think with... because you [will] think in concepts no matter what "cast" (language) you use to communicate these concepts.

(Does that make sense? Please, correct my English... as I 'thought' the whole thing in Spanish! )

Note: Pillín is pronounced something close to "Pi" and "yin" with an "y" similar to the "y" in "yin and yang".

Last edited by JPablo; September 16, 2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: note on pronunciation.
Old September 16, 2010, 12:28 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English
Tarential is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPablo View Post
Hi Tarential, I didn't say nor implied your "reasoning is flawed". I said, "You probably are right".
Ah, yes I got that one phrase completely wrong. I read "Probablemente tengas razón" as "You have a problem with your reason." But of course, I see where I made my mistakes now. I apologize for my misunderstanding. I think I got the rest of it translated properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPablo View Post
Note: Pillín is pronounced something close to "Pi" and "yin" with an "y" similar to the "y" in "yin and yang".
So I did have it wrong. I knew it. Thanks.
Old September 16, 2010, 12:45 PM
Pearl

Native Language: Inglés
Esperar is on a distinguished road
Your English is fine, you just need to study. I study for about 20 minutes a day. My Spanish is awful, but I still try to improve. Don't be discouraged!
Old September 16, 2010, 12:45 PM
Diamond

No problem, Tarential. I figured something like that.

I tell you something. (I may have the details wrong, and/or I don't even remember exactly, but it is something valuable as a datum.) When at the end of World War II, after Hiroshima there were "diplomatic talks" for surrender, the interpreter doing the "life translation" between the Americans and Japanese authorities failed to communicate clearly that the Japanese were actually surrendering. However, that was NOT communicated. Thus, Nagasaki was the next 'victim'. Not only the many people have to die in one place, but also the people of Nagasaki. All because of a 'translation error'. So, the war ended and many other lives were saved... but I think you get the point... on "how perfect" one should be in communicating...

All wars and conflicts (big or small) normally have an origin on something misunderstood. When understanding 'reigns' there will be peace on Earth... and freedom too, of course.
Old September 16, 2010, 12:49 PM
Pearl

I know my Spanish is very bad, but how is it compared to how it was? I'm trying hard to improve it, but I'm a slow learner.
Old September 16, 2010, 01:52 PM
Diamond

I believe you are improving. (Per what I have seen, but you will go faster the more you try and clear the basic vocabulary...)
Old September 16, 2010, 02:19 PM
Pearl

Yes, I try to learn how to build a house before I throw the bricks together. Should I buy a vocabulary book?
Old September 16, 2010, 02:57 PM
Diamond

Maybe. If I was you, I'd use the net to find words and images... Like something you are very good at in English... or something you like very much. And then, get the basic vocabulary of that field, and look at the images... You an use Google translator to get the words, but then look at the word and the image. And if you have the object (not virtual, but the real thing), touch it and name it in English, then name it in Spanish.

Let's say,
"balón de fútbol",
"balón de baskebol/baloncesto"
"balón de fútbol americano"

Or "balón = pelota". (A synonym...)

Yeah, or you can take all the Smilies here and learn all their meanings... As long as you have fun... you will learn faster!
Old September 16, 2010, 03:22 PM
Pearl

I watch music videos translated in to Spanish. I've learnt words from those.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: