Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Vengo

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old November 25, 2008, 01:44 PM
Ruby

Location: Vivo en Mexico siete meses por ano y trabajo en Phoinix el resto del ano
Native Language: english
soyricogringo is on a distinguished road
Vengo

estaba hablando con una amiga de mi y me dijo " vengo a tu casa " cuando ella estaba manejando a mi casa. I asked her why she used vengo and she told me it is used when you are in the process of going....I have also heard "voy llegando" here in mexico also. are these correct and commonly used....gracias de todo

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old November 25, 2008, 03:52 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Estaba hablando con una amiga mía ... gracias a todos.

Here are the rules:

In Spanish, the reference point is the speaker.
Movement towards the speaker = venir
Movement away from the speaker = ir

In English, the listener is reference point.
Movement towards the listener = to come
Movement away from the listener = to go

When both speakers and listeners are in close proximity to one another both the English and Spanish translations of venir and ir will agree.

Speaker A: Vamos al cine. (Let's go to the movies.)
Speaker B: No puedo ir. (I can't go.)
Speaker A: Jaime ya viene. ¿Crees que le gustaría ir? (James is coming over. Do you think he'd go?)

However, when speakers are not close to each other, like in different areas of the city talking on the phone to each other, the English and Spanish translations of venir and ir will not be the same.

Speaker A: Voy a tu casa. (I'm coming over.)
Speaker B: ¿¡Ahora vienes!? (Are you coming right now!?)
Speaker A: ¿Que no vaya? (Don't you want me to come over?)
Speaker B: Ven por la tarde. (Come this afternoon.)

To come was used in the English translation, but two different verbs were used in Spanish.

Now, to answer the question you posed. Applying the rules, your friend and you were in two different places. She was going to where you are. When she is speaking, the reference point is she and she should have said voy a tu casa.
Perhaps Mexicans bend the rules.

I think voy llegando is translated as I'm in the process of arriving. So, it's the same as I'm on my way.
Old November 25, 2008, 04:10 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyricogringo View Post
estaba hablando con una amiga de mi y me dijo " vengo a tu casa " cuando ella estaba manejando a mi casa. I asked her why she used vengo and she told me it is used when you are in the process of going....I have also heard "voy llegando" here in mexico also. are these correct and commonly used....gracias de todo
Firstly the word Vengo a tu Casa, it does wear to say, I'm going to home, because the words is understanding as if the person is asking you if he or she cans to going to your home, for example, I will do you an ask ok:

Why do you never are in your home?

Answer: Because when you coming over to my home, I'm working in that time.

Me: Ok, don't worry, I ask that because Cuando vengo a tu casa you never are here.

Ok, don't worry, I ask that because when I come to your home, you never are here.

Then, there I can to tell you, that the way accurate say that is I going to home, Voy a tu casa, not Vengo a tu casa, the word Vengo a tu casa, it's when the person already is in your home in that time.

I hope you can to understand me.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: