Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture

Suggestions about Spain

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Old June 08, 2008, 06:57 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
sknepper is on a distinguished road
Suggestions about Spain

Hi guys,

I'm going to Spain in a week to study in Valencia for the summer, and was wondering if anyone from Spain had any suggestions that would be useful. Specifically what the dress is at clubs, should I get a eurail pass, is there anything I have to see, how/if you tip at restaurants, or any other cultural things that you think might be helpful.

Thanks a ton and I really appreciate it!
I'm a spanish student, and I really want to try and engulf myself in the Spanish language as much as possible, so please correct my Spanish on any post or tell me how it could better be said so that I can improve! Thank you!!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 08, 2008, 07:17 PM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Well there's a few folks from Spain here, so they would be the right people to answer this. Let's wait and see what they have to say.
Old June 09, 2008, 01:12 AM
Emerald

Location: Where the stork dropped me years ago, wish it had done it further north
Native Language: nominally:Spanish, emotionally:Engl
Iris is on a distinguished road
I'm sorry but I've never been to Valencia, so I cannot help much. I can only answer one of your questions. We do tip in restaurants in Spain. We also tip cab drivers and hairdressers, but only if we feel like it. And you can tip as much or as little as you want.It depends on the quality of service, your generosity...
Old June 09, 2008, 01:14 AM
Ankh-Morpork's citizen

Native Language: Spanish (Spain)
sosia has a spectacular aura aboutsosia has a spectacular aura about
Specifically what the dress is at clubs, should I get a eurail pass, is there anything I have to see, how/if you tip at restaurants, or any other cultural things that you think might be helpful.

dress at clubs... it depends the level of the club.
eurail pass..... If you travel a lot, it's really useful, but you must check how many lands do you want to visit
is there anything I have to see .... lot ofs, but we're are you going?
how/if you tip at restaurants..... Not mandatory, yes if you're happy with the service
http://www.enplenitud.com/nota.asp?articuloid=10295
saludos
Old June 09, 2008, 06:06 AM
rule 1: gravity

poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
You will only be in Spain for a week. Europass would not be a smart choice. If you plan to visit other cities in Spain, RENFE offers high speed trains to many destinations. I'm not sure if Valencia is served by AVE or AVIA (the fastest trains) If so, you could get to culturally rich Madrid or other principal cities in just a few hours. If you book your train ride on RENFE's website a few weeks in advance you will get a big discount. The website naturally is in Spanish, but I think it's fairly simple. You won't notice that the discount applies until you get to the final page of the transaction.

Lunchtime is much later in Spain than it is in the rest of the world (about 2 PM weekdays, but sometimes later). Siesta goes on til after 4PM. That means many shops and business are closed in the afternoon. Valencia
is in a region of Spain where rice is grown. I've never been there, but I would bet that paella is their specialty.
Old June 09, 2008, 08:59 AM
Opal

Para clarificar, llegaré en una semana, pero estaré allá hasta medio augusto. ¡Grácias por su ayudo, es muy apreciado! Estaré en Valencia para la mayoría del tiempo, pero voy a tratar a visitar tantos lugares como posible. También, mi familia me juntará el julio por un par de días en Barcelona.
I'm a spanish student, and I really want to try and engulf myself in the Spanish language as much as possible, so please correct my Spanish on any post or tell me how it could better be said so that I can improve! Thank you!!
Old June 09, 2008, 09:04 AM
Opal

No sé cómo voy a comer a las cuatro, moriré de hambre.

Last edited by sknepper; June 09, 2008 at 09:05 AM. Reason: add an accent to como
Old June 09, 2008, 09:12 AM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknepper View Post
Para clarificar, llegaré en una semana, pero estaré allá hasta medio augusto agosto. ¡Grácias por su ayudo ayuda, es muy apreciada! Estaré en Valencia para la mayoría del tiempo, pero voy a tratar a de visitar tantos lugares como posible. También, mi familia me juntará el vendrá a estar conmigo en julio por un par de días en Barcelona.
A few small corrections...
Old June 09, 2008, 09:19 AM
Ankh-Morpork's citizen

Native Language: Spanish (Spain)
sosia has a spectacular aura aboutsosia has a spectacular aura about
Poli, your suggestions were good.
you have only two months, so no need of Europass, with Spain is enough.. You can visit Barcelona (Sagrada Familia), Madrid (Museo Prado), Toledo (parte antigua), islas Baleares, Granada (Alhambra), Córdoba (Mezquita), Sevilla (Giralda) and Zaragoza (Expo 2008, Basílica Pilar). You can also try Sanfermines (Pamplona, 6-14 Julio) but you will have to live "in he wild",all must be already booked. You can also try summer music festivals.
La comida es a las dos, la siesta es a las 4
Old June 09, 2008, 09:24 AM
rule 1: gravity

poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
No tienes que esperar las cuatro. El almuerzo empieza al las 2 (mas o menos) Frecuentamente los restaurantes ofrecen un menu del día que incluye un antojito,un plato fuerte y postre con una bebida (puede ser una botella de vino, soda, o cerveza)tambien por un precio muy razonable.
Buen viaje. Chequeas Renfe.com para viajes a otros sitios en España.

Last edited by poli; June 09, 2008 at 10:36 AM.

Tags
eurail, europass, spain, valencia

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: