Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

University Spanish

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old January 24, 2016, 01:26 AM
Pearl

Native Language: Swiss German
zuma022 is on a distinguished road
University Spanish

The other day I was talking to a friend who is now employed at our local university and gets nearly free tuition. So he said that he's looking into an MA in French. I told him that I had no idea he spoke French and he said that he didnt, but he can read it quite well.
So I'm curious. Anyone who took Spanish at university, what was your level? I had assumed it would be a B2 to C1 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comm..._for_Languages) if you minor in a second language. Has anyone done a graduate degree in Spanish? I never took any university Spanish courses, but an MA in Spanish would be pretty neat. If I had unlimited cash, I would love to do that and get more into Spanish literature etc. Alas, I don’t have the necessary $$ to indulge myself.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 24, 2016, 09:11 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
When I started my university studies I planned to major in Spanish language and literature. I completed the equivalent of a minor in that program, but I eventually chose a different major for my undergraduate degree.

I completed my studies before CERF was developed, and my level of ability according to that scale has never been formally evaluated. However, I have tried the on-line short tests from the Cervantes Institute, and my results suggest that my CERF level may be as high as C1.

I have little interest in pursuing a degree in Spanish literature; during my university studies I learned that I lack sufficient passion for literary analysis and criticism to consider continuing such a course of study, even though I happily read for several hours per week.
Old January 24, 2016, 06:14 PM
Pearl

Native Language: Swiss German
zuma022 is on a distinguished road
Interesting. Thanks for sharing wrholt. Would you say you were at a similar level after graduating from university?
Old January 24, 2016, 10:05 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Mostly, yes, although I continued learning Spanish informally for some time, partly through taking advantage of opportunities to converse with native speakers in a variety of contexts; my aural/oral skills benefited from additional practice over the next few years even though I was not in formal classes. Over the past 28 years I have had much less frequent opportunities to practice/use Spanish on a regular basis.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: