Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

I have hit the wall...

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old October 10, 2008, 06:41 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
*Shrugs* Do what the others said...maybe you should stick to Tomisimo

Good luck improving your Spanish...I hope I can too

Wish you best of luck

Last edited by Rusty; October 10, 2008 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Unnecessary multiple posts

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old October 11, 2008, 12:23 AM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
My recommendation for getting past the "brick wall" is to have a complete love for learning languages. You need the desire and ambition to want to understand every nuance of Spanish, explore every nook and cranny of meaning, usage, vocabulary, grammar, and culture. Of course, you won't understand everything the first time around but every time you look into something, you're hitting that brick wall with a sledgehammer and you're weakening it. Whenever you hear a new word, determine within yourself that you're not going to let it get away from you. You've captured it and now it's yours. Write it down on your hand or a napkin. Look up its meaning. Find text on the internet to see it in context. Try to use it in conversations today. Review it tomorrow. But don't let it get away from you. It's yours now. Do the same with bits of grammar or syntactic structures. Do the same with natural little phrases that native speakers use over and over every day. Do this and you'll find the language really gets inside of you and you begin to understand it in a more native-like way. You start thinking of ways to say things in Spanish and they come out naturally. You're not sure how you would explain the grammar, but you know that's how a native speaker would say it, because it 'feels' right. Focus on every nuance of native speakers' pronunciations and imitate them in every detail. When you're alone, imagine you're the lady you just saw in the store and repeat the question she asked in the exact same tone and rhythm. Then go back and practice using the word you wrote down that you refuse to let get away from you. These are the things you should strive toward.
Old October 11, 2008, 02:25 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
I agree with David, you must start to see movies and translate in your mind, and later if even you haven't understand anything then you write down of your hand the meaning of the word and so you will can remember the word and translate too.

When you are alone practice speaking yourself or try of practice with some CD to Music, and repeat and repeat the lyrics of the song, sometime such I study the language, as mainly I have not with who to chat or talk, well when I'm driveing, I repeat the music all the time that I want.
Old October 11, 2008, 07:13 AM
Diamond

Native Language: English
Elaina will become famous soon enough
Yes, yes......movies with subtitles to help you learn the pronunciation of a word but as David has already mentioned, Spanish is very easy to speak as it is phonetically spoken.

If you are all alone in this project, maybe including a friend or someone who shares the same interests as you and you can practice with each other and laugh at each other. Draw encouragement from each other.

IT CAN BE LOADS OF FUN!!

Don't give up! You will be so happy you didn't in the future!

We all will help you. Just think, you have people from all over the world giving you encouragement and support and a promise to help. It doesn't get any better than this!

Good luck.....
Old October 11, 2008, 11:18 PM
Diamond

I agree with you Elaina, if you want figure some sence or sentence or anything, first you must start by understand the language wrote and a little speak, then if you see movies with subtitules, you try of understand them.
Old October 12, 2008, 03:31 AM
Opal

DaveCool is on a distinguished road
Listening to movies is good for your pronunciation, but not really good for speaking or writing...

I think you're past that level. You must get to the higher level now.

I agree with Tomisimo that you need to have a love for the language and here's a tip how:
Find out more about their culture. Find out more about their tradition, about the famous people that got out of their country. Find out the books written in original Spanish. Imagine yourself being part of that culture, tradition, reading the masterpieces. By learning another language, you're getting into the 'minds' or the natives and you'll start finding out how they think.

In my opinion this is a very good motivator to start learning ANY language
Old October 12, 2008, 02:57 PM
Diamond

Yes, I agree with you, I think that the best to way of learn the language is write and speak it, if you can speak with someone who knows the language is much better it, because such you will can to practice with thim, when you are speaking with somone in Spanish, and if you didn't know some words that he has told you, you shall tell him that he repeat you again the word, such you will can to write and a paper, then when you have a little of time, you find the word and any dictionary of your tasty, and you find the meaning of the word and also learn it, ever if you don't the practice of speak with someone, don't worry it's mormal to the beginning of all learning of some language, anyway, you are intelligent and I know that you will can to learn as faster as you can to do it, I wish you the best in your course of idioms, look, I will give you a tip, I've leart faster in this forums than in some schools, because here at least my friends is from U.S.A and they can correct to me, in my post, of course, if my post needs some corrections, I believe that if you continue enjoing to the website, you soon will can learn fast, if your later post you were feeting that have make mistakes don't worry it's mornal.
Old October 13, 2008, 07:13 AM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
Get past the brick wall
Old October 15, 2008, 08:25 AM
Pearl

ElDanés is on a distinguished road
Thanks to all of you, and sorry about the late reply!
I will try the best I can to follow the steps you have been providing me.

I've been vacating (and I still am), so I haven't had much time for using the computer, and I forgot my Spanish books, so I haven't really had a chance to practice my at all, except for conjugating verbs from memory, etc., so I don't hope I've become too rusty, now when I return home in three days.

See you around!
Old October 15, 2008, 10:30 AM
Diamond

Nop, Danes, you enjoy your vacations, and later you get worry by post here in the forums but first you enjoy the vacations.

Tags
brick wall

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: