Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Playing tag

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old August 02, 2010, 10:53 AM
Pearl

lblanco is on a distinguished road
Playing tag

How do you translate “playing tag” in the sentence, playing tag is not permitted in the playground?

Short explanation of game: The purpose of the game is, one child has to chase after a group of children until he/she catches up to one and “tags” him/her by touching them. The child that was “tagged” is now the person that has to chase the others until he/she ‘tags” someone else. As a child when I lived in Sonora Mexico we called it “jugar a la roña”. I'm not sure that term would be easily understood.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 02, 2010, 11:18 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
That will be a tough issue, because that game has a lot of varieties and plenty of regional names.

In Mexico it can be "la roña" or "las traes" (as if someone is sick and passes the disease to someone else by touching them).

I think that the most neutral expression will be "está prohibido correr en el patio" or "no se permite correr en el patio".
Old August 02, 2010, 11:42 AM
Pearl

Thank you, that term really had me stuck. I’m writing "está prohibido correr o corretear a tus compañeros en el patio"

I appreciate your help!
Old August 03, 2010, 12:11 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lblanco View Post
Thank you, that term really had me stuck. I’m writing "está prohibido correr o corretear a tus compañeros en el patio"

I appreciate your help!
En España (en Cataluña) el juego se llamaba (hace 40 años, cuando yo era un chaval) "jugar a tocar y parar" o "a tocar y a parar".

Claro, como dice Angélica, puede haber muchas, muchísimas, variantes del mismo juego y de formas de nombrarlo.

As far as "corretear a tus compañeros"... I take it may be okay for Mexico, in the sense of "chase", but this usage is only restricted to Bolivia, Chile, Honduras, México, Nicaragua and Perú, per DRAE (Diccionario de la Real Academia.) In Spain, and I take maybe Colombia, Ecuador, and othe Latin American countries not mentioned would be "perseguir a tus compañeros" or "correr tras tus compañeros".

(By the way, welcome to the forums!)

This also reminded me of a funny 'situation' in the South of Spain,
There is one "Plaza de las libertades" (Freedoms/Liberties Square), and right there, the first signage banner clearly reads, "PROHIBIDO JUGAR A PELOTA"
Old August 03, 2010, 12:30 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Interesante, a ese juego le llamamos "pillarse" donde a uno lo tocan, por lo tanto "la lleva" y tiene que salir a pillara otro para tocarlo.

Creí que en México se le llamaba el juego de "la pinta"
Old August 03, 2010, 01:56 PM
Pearl

Me imagino depende de la región. Para mí “la pinta o hacerse la pinta” significa faltar a la escuela sin permiso/to ditch from school.

Me hice la pinta para ir al cine.
Susana se fue de pinta.

I was pretty lucky, I was never caught when I ditched in high school.

Gracias por la bienvenida al foro
Old August 03, 2010, 02:00 PM
Diamond

De nada... I just realized you are in the forums waaaay before me, since June last year... but at any rate, "bienvenido de vuelta" maybe is more appropriate here... (or "bienvenido de regreso" I guess is more the Mexican usage?)

En fin, ¡nos vemos por los foros!
Old August 03, 2010, 03:49 PM
Pearl

Yep, I joined the forums a very long time ago. They're very useful and fun although, I'm not able to contribute as often as I would like.
Old August 03, 2010, 04:03 PM
Diamond

I understand... I have been able to contribute and be helped on a regular basis, but I understand that sometimes you have other priorities too!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: