Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

The neuter article "Lo"

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old March 24, 2015, 03:48 PM
Opal

tio flaco is on a distinguished road
The neuter article "Lo"

I'm looking for discussion about the article "lo" and how it is recognized (by an English speaker) as a part of speech and its changing definitions. i.e.

the "thing",
Lo bueno, lo unico, lo peor, lo triste, lo malo

or "how" as in, "De lo bonita que es Carmen"?

and finally in idiomatic expressions,
a lo lejos, a lo major, por lo pronto, por lo tanto

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 02, 2015, 01:46 AM
Opal

aniRB is on a distinguished road
Lo

Hola,
Soy estudiante nueva de español.

I am only familiar with your first example of "lo" when an adjective is used as a noun, and there is no equivalent in English. The definite article would be used: "The good, the bad, the ugly."

I am also familiar with the use of "lo" as a neuter pronoun in the context of responding to a statement. Consider the following:
"Estás consado?"
"Sí, lo estoy."

In English, there is no "lo" equivalent. The response would either be "Yes" or "Yes I am" or "Yes I am tired."

I have no idea if this is helpful or if I am just telling you things you already know. Please let me know.

Hasta otra,
-ani

Tags
lo, neuter pronoun

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: