Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Using "tú" in impersonal expressions

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 06, 2009, 08:45 PM
Pearl

Native Language: English (USA)
tacuba is on a distinguished road
Using "tú" in impersonal expressions

I'm currently reading a book that was written in English and translated into Spanish. The translator uses the "tú" form extensively to translate the English impersonal "you" phrases. "Para llegar a ese lugar, tienes que tomar un camión..."

I didn't know that this was a standard usage in Spanish: I always thought the impersonal "se" was used, or the "hay que..." construction. Is this just a quirk of the translator, or is it used more than I suspected?

Actualmente leo un libro que fue escrito in inglés y traducido a español. La traductora usa mucha la forma de "tú" para traducir las frases impersonal de la segunda persona.

No sabía que esto era un uso estandár en español, siempre creía que se usa la "se" impersonal o una construcción con "hay que...". ¿Tiene algo que ver del estilo de la traductora o se usa más que yo pensaba?

BTW: The book is "Crossing Over: A Mexican Family on the Migrant Trail" by Rubén Martínez and "Cruzando la Frontera" en español. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to understand in more than a superficial way why Latin Americans migrate NOB in such overwhelming numbers and the dangers they face making the journey. A book guaranteed to break your heart if you have one.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: