Old March 27, 2014, 04:25 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
LFD1988 is on a distinguished road
Hola!

Hola, me llamo Lee y soy de los Estados Unidos en Kentucky. Aqui, quiero conocer a muchas personas y quiero practicar mi español. Yo estoy estudiando español tres meses. Yo decidí estudiar español, porque me gusta aprender los lenguas extranjeras. Ahora, puedo hablar Alemán, Japonés, un poco Chino, y un poco español.

Hello everyone! My name is Lee. I'm more or less a beginner with spanish, since I have only been studying it for 3 months, but I feel like I've learned a lot already! I hope that I can get to know a lot of interesting people and practice spanish with those who are more experienced or native. I enjoy studying foreign language and currently have varying abilities in German, Japanese, Chinese, and Spanish. If you notice any mistakes in the spanish above or you can tell me how to make it sound more natural I would be very grateful for the help! I'll do the best I can here!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old March 27, 2014, 04:57 PM
Emerald

Liquinn3 is on a distinguished road
Some corrections.

I would remove "Yo" because the subject pronoun conveys the person.

I would replace the "Yo estoy estudiando español tres meses" with "Llevo estudiando español desde hace tres meses".

Other people may have other feedback.

Muy bien. Sigue practicando.

Un saludo.
Old March 27, 2014, 06:59 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Welcome to the forums, Lee!

@Liquinn3: It's "Llevo tres meses estudiando español," and "Hace tres meses que estudio español" is often used.
Old March 27, 2014, 08:31 PM
Opal

Muchas Gracias por la ayuda!
Old March 28, 2014, 04:13 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFD1988 View Post
Hola, me llamo Lee y soy de los Estados Unidos en Kentucky. Aqui, quiero conocer a muchas personas y quiero practicar mi español. Yo estoy estudiando español tres meses. Yo decidí estudiar español, porque me gusta aprender los lenguas extranjeras. Ahora, puedo hablar Alemán, Japonés, un poco Chino, y un poco español.

Hello everyone! My name is Lee. I'm more or less a beginner with spanish, since I have only been studying it for 3 months, but I feel like I've learned a lot already! I hope that I can get to know a lot of interesting people and practice spanish with those who are more experienced or native. I enjoy studying foreign language and currently have varying abilities in German, Japanese, Chinese, and Spanish. If you notice any mistakes in the spanish above or you can tell me how to make it sound more natural I would be very grateful for the help! I'll do the best I can here!
Hola Lee. Mi abuelo se llama Lee. Mucho gusto. Me llamo Villa.
Bienvenido. Te felicito, Lee. Vas muy bien con tu español.
Hace más él que quiere que él que puede. Me gusta este dicho. Entiendes?

Last edited by Villa; March 28, 2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old March 29, 2014, 07:25 PM
Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa View Post
Hola Lee. Mi abuelo se llama Lee. Mucho gusto. Me llamo Villa.
Bienvenido. Te felicito, Lee. Vas muy bien con tu español.
Hace más él que quiere que él que puede. Me gusta este dicho. Entiendes?

Más o menos puedo entender, pero en esta frase: "Hace más él que quiere que él que puede." yo entiendo las palabras, pero la gramática es difícil.... ¿Que significa?
Old March 29, 2014, 10:09 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Más o menos puedo entender, pero en esta frase: "Hace más él que quiere que él que puede." yo entiendo las palabras, pero la gramática es difícil.... ¿Que significa?
If you understand the individual words, perhaps you can make sense of the entire saying/set expression. If you give us your best attempt at making sense of of it, we can see what you already understand and what you don't understand yet, and we can give you better hints to help you make more sense out of it.

One clue that may help you right now: in this sentence "hace" (from "hacer", usually translated as 'to make (something)" or "to do (something)") has a figurative or idiomatic meaning which might translate to English as "He acts like", "He plays the part/role of", or "He is".

With this hint, can you make a guess about what the entire expression means?
Old March 29, 2014, 10:45 PM
Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrholt View Post
If you understand the individual words, perhaps you can make sense of the entire saying/set expression. If you give us your best attempt at making sense of of it, we can see what you already understand and what you don't understand yet, and we can give you better hints to help you make more sense out of it.

One clue that may help you right now: in this sentence "hace" (from "hacer", usually translated as 'to make (something)" or "to do (something)") has a figurative or idiomatic meaning which might translate to English as "He acts like", "He plays the part/role of", or "He is".

With this hint, can you make a guess about what the entire expression means?
Then, would it be something like "He acts more like what he wants, rather than what he can do?" In English it sounds kinda strange, but I suppose this is some sort of well known idiom in Spanish, right? What confused me most in this sentence was the various uses of "que," which I haven't gotten quite used to.
Old March 30, 2014, 06:36 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Then, would it be something like "He acts more like what he wants, rather than what he can do?" In English it sounds kinda strange, but I suppose this is some sort of well known idiom in Spanish, right? What confused me most in this sentence was the various uses of "que," which I haven't gotten quite used to.
This is an excellent attempt, although it's not quite right still. You've got the right idea on each use of 'que', congratulations!

I'm wondering whether Villa wrote the two instances of 'él' (= 'he') correctly, or whether they should actually be written 'el' (as part of the relative pronoun 'el que' = "the one who/that"). Regardless, the sentence translates better as "he is more the one/person/someone who wants rather than the one/person/someone who can".

The sentence "Hace más él que quiere que él que puede' has 3 verbs distributed among one main clause and 2 dependent clauses. If all three verbs have the same subject, then normally an explicit subject appears once, and it appears in the main clause, not in the dependent clauses. But in this sentence the explicit subjects are in the 2 dependent clauses; this strongly suggests that they subjects of the verbs in the 2 dependent clauses are different than the subject of the main clause.

The same reasoning applies if the sentence is correctly written as 'hace más el que quiere que el que puede'. (Of course, if my reasoning or analysis is off, I expect that someone else will let you and me know.)
Old March 31, 2014, 05:12 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
I believe the dicho, which is also said "Más hace el que quiere que el que puede," is interpreted more literallly - One who wants does more than one who is able. "One can get more done by wanting to do it than by just being able to do it."

It's similar to 'querer es poder' (where there's a will there's a way).

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: