Old August 23, 2010, 12:34 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
@Darius, thank you for this data. (I didn't know.) In Spanish there is another saying "Cría cuervos y te sacarán los ojos". Con esta frase se comenta algún caso en que los beneficios hechos a quien no los merece son correspondidos con desagradecimiento. Aunque no creo que nadie "criara" cuervos realmente, por lo que dices a lo mejor sí.
@ Lou Ann, wow, that must be very cool...

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 23, 2010, 05:41 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Pablo.

I'm absolutely agree with you.
The phrase Cria cuervos is very common here in my country in fact is the phrase is answer more logical about the question.

Eating crow literally means, Comiendo cuervos.

Am I right?
Old August 23, 2010, 07:49 PM
Pearl

Native Language: American English
Chris is on a distinguished road
This is odd, I was just outside with my youngest son a few days ago when I heard a donkey. I told him to be quiet and listen but the donkey didn't make any more noise. A crow did though so I asked him if he had heard it. After a few more "crows" from the crow he heard it and we went looking for it. I could tell from the sound that it was in a pine tree ahead of us but I couldn't see it because of all the pine cones. After a while listening to the crow one flew from the tree and we got to see it. It wasn't a big murder, but I have noticed a lot more crows than I normally do in the area. It started getting late so we went inside and looked up crows on the internet and learned a lot about them and their extended family. Edgar Allen Poe's Raven is of the crow family. I will read that poem nevermore... There are crows or a variant of them in most areas.

I wanted to stay out late enough to hear the owl calling. I showed him how it sounded and he got a big kick out of it so when we were looking at crows I found some owl call mp3's and played them. He was laughing so hard.

There is an owl that lives behind the house in the woods and my wife woke me up one night "Chris... Chris... Someone is outside saying "Who?" After a second I realized it was the owl and poked her ribs a little bit.

Anyway it was good to know where "eating crow" comes from.
Old August 23, 2010, 08:33 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
@CroTalito, yes, you are right. These two expressions mean two different things, but both use the "crow".
@Chris. Good. Interesting environment where you live... Around here, there are also quite a number of these crows... sometimes I see beautiful eagles too...

As far as Poe goes, I read the poem in Spanish when I was maybe 12, and I was impressed... I found a version here http://www.heise.de/ix/raven/Literat.../TheRaven.html

It is an incredible poem! (I cannot resist to copy here the beginning...)

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
`'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, `tapping at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
Old August 23, 2010, 10:01 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Yes Pablo.

Here in my city almost not there're crows, if you can watch once over your hear is only good luck.

I know about them, but I don't like them.

Tags
crow, eat crow

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: