Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Technical things

Cannot quote using IE?

Technical "how-to" issues concerning using this site and language learning in general.

Old July 02, 2014, 10:10 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Cannot quote using IE?

I'm experiencing an odd problem: when I try to reply to a post using either the QUOTE or the MULTIQUOTE feature, a new edit message window opens, but the text I expect to see quoted is not present in the edit window.

I'm using Internet Explorer on Windows 7. As far as I can tell nothing has changed on my computer in the past couple of days. I've tried deleting the IE temporary files cache, which hasn't resolved the problem, and I've rebooted my system a couple of times.

I experimented with what heppens using Chrome on the same computer, and that worked just fine. So I'm trying to figure out why quoting works in Chrome, but not in IE.

So, is anyone else who uses IE experiencing similar problems? If I seem to be the only one, then I suspect the issue is something on my computer and not something at tomisimo.org, and I'll just have to dig further...

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old July 02, 2014, 11:18 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
AngelicaDeAlquezar is reporting the same issue. Julvenzor is reporting that it happens using Mozilla.

I tried to recreate the problem using IE when Malila first reported the issue and had no problem, but now I am. Two days ago, no problem.
Old July 03, 2014, 01:39 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
AngelicaDeAlquezar is reporting the same issue. Julvenzor is reporting that it happens using Mozilla.

I tried to recreate the problem using IE when Malila first reported the issue and had no problem, but now I am. Two days ago, no problem.
Oh, my word. I rebooted again, and now quoting is working for me in IE.

I suspect that some cache at some router/relay point between the site's servers and our individual local machines sometimes saves a not-quite-correct copy of something. If deleting temporary internet files fixes the problem, then the bad copy was local. But if it doesn't work, it could be a bad cached copy somewhere between there and here. Routers/relay points eventually mark a cached file as being too old, but until then....
Old July 03, 2014, 07:38 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
This is interesting, I had rebooted, emptied caché and all, and it still didn't work, but now it does.

Edit: Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. A few hours ago everything was back to normal, and now editing, quoting and "preview changes" in a message leads to an empty text box again.

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; July 03, 2014 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Added note.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: