Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

Textbook Recomendations

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old May 24, 2010, 12:18 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxista Escoces View Post

A very good question Chileno.

Hmmmm

Are you suggesting a quick refresher course of English grammer? It has been 24 years since I finnished school.
I know, but I am not suggesting you "waste" (it isn't a waste anyway) your time with that at this time.

The fact that you don't know (recall) much or any at all of your grammar does not mean you cannot have a conversation with anybody in English, right?

I mean, it is always nice to understand the other posters when they talk about the present hmm... and imperfect hmm.... (pulling an "Eddie Izzard" here) whatever, but still that does not impede you nor inhibit your vocabulary at whatever level you have. Right?

Another question, since you don't know your own grammar, but still can read, write and express yourself at your own level, whatever that is, why would you need to learn Spanish grammar in order to do the same thing in Spanish? That is to read, write and express yourself in Spanish.

hmmm?

Again, it is nice to know grammar, but since you are set to "learn" Spanish, do that first, once you accomplish that and if the stamina lasts, then you can re-learn your grammar which in turn will help you "accommodate" and learn "how to use" the Spanish grammar. You will equate both of them quite nicely.

Just a thought. I still, after 30 years of living in this country don't know my own grammar, much less English.

I think I vowed not to ever do it, long time ago.

Last edited by chileno; May 25, 2010 at 12:09 AM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 24, 2010, 06:03 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
Taxista Escoces is on a distinguished road
Me siento muy honrado por su sabiduría. Gracias por tamarse el tiempo para publicar en este foro hilo.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:58 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
I know, but I am not suggesting you "waste" (it isn't a waste anyway) your time with that at this time.

The fact that you don't know (recall) much or any at all of your grammar does not mean you cannot have a conversation with anybody in English, right.

I mean, it is always nice to understand the other posters when they talk about the present hmm... and imperfect hmm.... (pulling an "Eddie Izzard" here) whatever, but still that does not impede you not inhibit your vocabulary at whatever level you have. Right?

Another question, since you don't know your own grammar, but still can read, write and express yourself at your own level, whatever that is, why would you need to learn Spanish grammar in order to do the same thing in Spanish? That is to read, write and express yourself in Spanish.

hmmm?

Again, it is nice to know grammar, but since you are set to "learn" Spanish, do that first, once you accomplish that and if the stamina lasts, then you can re-learn your grammar which in turn will help you "accommodate" and learn "how to use" the Spanish grammar. You will equate both of them quite nicely.

Just a thought. I still, after 30 years of living in this country know my own grammar, much less English.

I think I vowed not to ever do it, long time ago.
You're right.
Since you have learnt the language during the last last you have been in your origin country, after of that you have learn the language you have your own grammar, I don't know if you're a teacher or you have been before a great person with great knowledge, I feel that you have the procedure of as a person should to learn the language in a correct way, and I like to learn of that way, please you teach me the top secret, you have the idea.

I admire your post, I admire your commentary right
Also I admire as you told him as he should to learn the language, after of have read it, I can understand that there's an only way of learn any language and followings hints.

And I can follow them.

I'm looking forward in your learn way.
I'm looking a feed back of my commentary above it.
Old May 25, 2010, 12:10 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Me siento muy honrado por su sabiduría. Gracias por tomarse el tiempo para publicar en este foro hilo.
We are here to help, and be helped. :-)

I made several mistakes, mainly not including words in my previous post, so I corrected that, now that I re-read it.
:-)
Old May 25, 2010, 02:27 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Hey, what Chileno wrote about grammar made me think about the Spanish expression "gramática parda". Oxford Superlex defines it like this, gramática parda (familiar): tiene mucha gramática parda he’s pretty smart o worldly-wise. There is even a very funny book by García Hortelano (Spanish writer) entitled like that (Gramática Parda). When a baby starts to learn how to talk, he doesn't read some erudite book by Saussure, or his pupils... nor by Chomsky... or Nebrija (Spanish grammarian). He learns "the grammar" in an intuitive manner. Of course, if you know your grammar intuitively, and analytically, consciously... you are that much ahead of the game. I could study everything about soccer... if I never PLAY, no matter how much theory I know, I will never learn how to actually PLAY. The proof of the pudding is in the eating... which in Spanish we say, "El movimiento se demuestra andando" (the way to demonstrate "motion" is by walking [moving].) I believe the Blackfeet Indians had one that went, "The way to cross the river is to cross the river". Well, "simple" as it may sound, cliché or platitude, it is a truism, an obvious truth.
When I started to learn English I got a grammar book, a simple one and started to read it and to use it. I started reading SIMPLE English texts, and then got to listen and to talk. Listening to things you know and things you like, while using a dictionary to clear any confusion... asking here and there... USING what you learn, you will enjoy yourself and learn. Sure, any basic course you follow will guide you. I do not have personal experience with Rosetta Stone courses, but reportedly these are quite good... But the bottom line is, if you keep your willingness to learn and your interest high, you will learn and USE what you learn.
Espero que este granito de arena [this little grain of sand = this contribution, my bit] te sirva de ayuda.
¡Adelante! [Carry on!]
Old May 25, 2010, 01:36 PM
rule 1: gravity

poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
For an adult English speaker learning Spanish, it is wise to know the function of pronouns (including direct and indirect object pronouns). It is essential to know them and know how to use them.
Old May 25, 2010, 01:54 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
For an adult English speaker learning Spanish, it is wise to know the function of pronouns (including direct and indirect object pronouns). It is essential to know them and know how to use them.
Does English have direct and indirect object pronouns?

I am sorry if I sound like those people Perikles was talking about... ignoramuses...
Old May 25, 2010, 08:02 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
We are here to help, and be helped. :-)

I made several mistakes, mainly not including words in my previous post, so I corrected that, now that I re-read it.
:-)
You're right.

Here we are for help and be helped too.
But well just I wanted to say that.
Old March 24, 2011, 09:30 PM
Banned

asiabird01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Can anybody suggest a good Spanish learning textbook for me.
I am a new learner and my experience is limited to a few weeks listening to podcasts. I have plenty of time to continue to listen whilst sitting in the taxi but I believe some textbook learning would be very beneficial.

Thanks

I like the Spanish Now books, they are a combination of textbook/workbook and they come with audio CDs which I put on my iphone. The other book that I REALLY found useful was English Grammar for Students of Spanish.

Good Luck! Hope this helps!
Asia
Old April 28, 2011, 06:39 PM
Opal

-ph7 is on a distinguished road
I do not recommend Vista books.
They are intended for class room use only, and are crap even in the class room.

Don't get a school text book- get a self learning one.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: