Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Does Spanish in the U.S. actually present an inconvenience?

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 14, 2014, 01:40 PM
Opal

Zarnium is on a distinguished road
Does Spanish in the U.S. actually present an inconvenience?

Every time there's a news article about the prevalence of Spanish in the U.S., there are always a bunch of commentors who say absurd things like "Mexicans need to assimilate and stop speaking Spanish, it makes me really angry when I see people speaking Spanish at the bus stop" or "Lowe's started putting up signs in Spanish, so I refuse to shop there anymore." These are obviously the most petty of the complaints, but since I don't live near a heavily Hispanic region of the U.S., I wanted to ask; is there really any major inconvenience or hardship to English-speakers caused by people speaking Spanish in the U.S.?

Frankly, I don't see what the big deal is; if Spanish-speakers want to move here and they continue to speak Spanish with other Spanish-speakers, get jobs where they can speak Spanish, and patronize businesses that they can speak Spanish at, it's no skin off my back. I suppose instances where a Spanish-speaker goes to an English-speaking establishment and demands to be served in Spanish are obnoxious, but I'd say that has more to do with that individual's rude behavior than anything directly related to the speaking of Spanish in the U.S. I don't see a problem with Spanish-speakers using Spanish in public, or in business settings where its appropriate, or with them using it with their children.

I may not live near many Spanish-speakers, but I do live in a college town where there are a lot of Chinese students. They speak Mandarin to each other, and they eat at Chinese restaurants where they order in Mandarin. Mandarin can usually be heard any time you go outside, and there are sometime signs and notices in Mandarin. The Chinese people don't always speak especially good English, but it's good enough that aren't any major communication barriers. This being said, none of the non-Chinese people here care, and it doesn't present any inconvenience to us. I don't see how the situation with Spanish-speakers is any different except that there are a lot more of them and they have a lot more political baggage tied to them.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: