Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar

How to write a few sentences about myself

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old September 25, 2008, 11:33 AM
Ruby

serendipity is on a distinguished road
How to write a few sentences about myself

I have my first spanish test tomorrow and I'm terrified! I'm sick so I haven't really had the time to study for it... But I do know that we have to write a few sentences about ourselves, and I was wondering if this is correct?

Me llamo ********. Soy de *****, la capital de *******. Vine a **** en el 1995. Vivo en ****** con mi madre. Tengo un hermano de dieciocho años.

Also, is there anything else I can add? About myself, my family, anything that could give me a few extra points? I'd REALLY appreciate it!

Last edited by serendipity; September 25, 2008 at 11:40 AM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 25, 2008, 11:43 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity View Post
I have my first spanish test tomorrow and I'm terrified! I'm sick so I haven't really had the time to study for it... But I do know that we have to write a few sentences about ourselves, and I was wondering if this is correct?

Me llamo ********. Soy de *****, la capital de *******. Vine a **** en el 1995. Vivo en ****** con mi madre. Tengo un hermano (how do I say "I have a brother who's 18 years old in spanish? I suck at grammar, I really do!) No lo creo.

Also, is there anything else I can add? About myself, my family, anything that could give me a few extra points? I'd REALLY appreciate it!
Everything you wrote is fine, except for the one little change. Todo que escribiste está bien, menos el cambiocito.

As far as your question about your brother's age, you most likely already know how to say how old someone is (tener ... años). You just need to introduce that part of the sentence with the conjunction que, and use the correct conjugation of tener:
Tengo un hermano que tiene 18 años.

Adding a little description about your appearance, and your likes and dislikes, would be good. Since I don't know these things about you (and shouldn't do your homework for you ), I can't help you much more than I have.

¡Buena suerte con el examen!

Last edited by Rusty; September 25, 2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old September 25, 2008, 11:57 AM
Ruby

Native Language: English
geeper is on a distinguished road
¿Tienes una mascota? Do you have a pet?
Old September 25, 2008, 11:57 AM
Ruby

thank you so much!

EDIT:

Geeper: I wrote "Tengo una perro, que se llama Blanca"

is that correct?
Old September 25, 2008, 12:05 PM
Señor Speedy

Tengo una perra que se llama Blanca.
Almost perfect!
Old September 25, 2008, 12:13 PM
Ruby

Ah, okay, thanks!
By the way, how do you say "I work at a cafè" ?
"Estoy trabajando en una cafeteria" or "Yo trabajo en una cafeteria"..?
Old September 25, 2008, 12:20 PM
Davidísimo

Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
"Trabajo en una cafetería" would be the best way, although both are fine and they have slightly different meanings.

Also, if you want more material to write about, you can talk about the different things you're studying/learning at school, what your plans for the future are- what you want to study, what kind of job you would like, if you plan on getting married, having kids, traveling the world etc.

Also, I would say both of the following are fine and have the same meaning:
Tengo un hermano que tiene 18 años.
Tengo un hermano de 18 años.
EDIT: One other thing serendipity- I changed the title of the thread to be something more indicative of the thread's contents. "Help me" is usually not a good thread title

Last edited by Tomisimo; September 25, 2008 at 12:34 PM. Reason: added note about title
Old September 25, 2008, 12:43 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Also you can to write the follow in your test of Spanish, it don't want to say that, I'm doing your homework, but a help for you, it does not bad.

Me llamo Nombre
Vivo, Direccion
Naci, ciudad de nacimiento
En el año, Año de nacimiento
Mi padre se llama, Nombre
Mi mama se llama

Tengo un hermano y se llama.

Tengo una mascota y su nombre es.

Estoy en el 5 grado. tu aqui contestas tu grado de escolaridad.

Abajo puedes poner comentarios adicionales.

I hope my example cans to be of great helpful for you.

A lot good luck.
Old September 25, 2008, 12:44 PM
Ruby

Thank you!
I thought of that right after I'd posted it and tried to change it, but it didn't work, so thanks!

This is what I've written so far ...
I can't write too much because I have to memorize it.. and I don't want to go overboard and then make lots of silly mistakes and mess up my grade because of it :/ Please correct me if there's any mistakes!

Mi nombre es (me llamo) ********. Soy una chica de dieciseis años. Yo trabajo (estoy trabajando) en una cafeteria (I don't know how to say "downtown"). Soy de *****, la capital de *******. Vivo con madre en el casa de *****. Tengo un hermano què tiene dieciocho años. Èl toca (?) la guitarra en un grupo de rock. La banda se llama (?) ********.

EDIT: thanks a lot CrOtALiTo !

Last edited by serendipity; September 25, 2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old September 25, 2008, 12:59 PM
Señor Speedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity View Post
Thank you!
I thought of that right after I'd posted it and tried to change it, but it didn't work, so thanks!

This is what I've written so far ...
I can't write too much because I have to memorize it.. and I don't want to go overboard and then make lots of silly mistakes and mess up my grade because of it :/ Please correct me if there's any mistakes!

Mi nombre es (me llamo) ********. Soy una chica de dieciseis años. Yo trabajo (estoy trabajando) en una cafeteria (I don't know how to say "downtown"). Soy de *****, la capital de *******. Vivo con madre en el casa de *****. Tengo un hermano què tiene dieciocho años. Èl toca (?) la guitarra en un grupo de rock. La banda se llama (?) ********.

EDIT: thanks a lot CrOtALiTo !
I suppose others will correct, but me llamo is probably better than mi nombre es. Use trabajo instead of estoy trabajando (the latter is used only when you are actually at work, physically working). You're missing an accent in the word dieciséis and cafetería. The accent marks you've used in the words él and qué are backward. You omitted the word mi in front of madre. The word casa is femenine, so the article that precedes it needs to be changed. You used the correct verb for to play (the guitar).

... en una cafetería del centro. (downtown)

Last edited by Rusty; September 25, 2008 at 01:09 PM.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: