Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Vocabulary > Idioms & Sayings
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Espero que sí

An idiom is an expression whose meaning is not readily apparent based on the individual words in the expression. This forum is dedicated to discussing idioms and other sayings.

Old November 29, 2010, 03:05 AM
Ruby

emilwest is on a distinguished road
Espero que sí

Hola mis cuates!

Tengo una pregunta. ¿Qué significa la frase "Espero que sí" en inglés? No lo he encontrado en el diccionario.

Gracias!

(If you see some mistakes feel free to correct them)

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old November 29, 2010, 03:17 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Have a look under the verb esperar, which means various things, mainly to hope and to expect.

My dictionary says Espero que sí = I hope so

but I still am unable to work out why it could not mean I expect so. Perhaps it can, depending on context.
Old November 29, 2010, 03:26 AM
Ruby

Thanks for the reply!

The context is like this:

(a letter)
Hola, Kosei. ¿Qué tal?

No sé nada de ti. ¿Ya has encontrado piso en Barcelona? ¿Estás estudiando español? Espero que sí.
Old November 29, 2010, 03:29 AM
Opal

gracemayer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
Have a look under the verb esperar, which means various things, mainly to hope and to expect.

My dictionary says Espero que sí = I hope so

but I still am unable to work out why it could not mean I expect so. Perhaps it can, depending on context.
I found 'Así espero' or 'Supongo que si' for I expect so, which sounds right to me. (expect = imaginarse, suponer, figurarse, as well as esperar, depending on context, as you thought, Perikles)
Old November 29, 2010, 04:40 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilwest View Post
(a letter)
Hola, Kosei. ¿Qué tal?

No sé nada de ti. ¿Ya has encontrado piso en Barcelona? ¿Estás estudiando español? Espero que sí.
In that context it means something like "I hope all went as planned or told me what have changed". It looks you've told this person before that you'd rent a flat in Barcelona and study Spanish. These intentions are taken as reference to resume communication and that "espero que sí" doesn't mean a concrete expectation of that being done -you'll tell any new developments- but that person caring about -by remembering the last s/he new about your activities-. "Espero que sí" doesn't necessary translate into expectation but best wishes and that s/he wants to know how are you doing.

Maybe this is obvious but I have found a lot of cultural misunderstandings emerging from "an exact translation".
Old November 29, 2010, 07:15 AM
Ruby

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleCcowaN View Post
"Espero que sí" doesn't necessary translate into expectation but best wishes and that s/he wants to know how are you doing.
I see! That's very good to know. Muchas gracias.
Old December 06, 2010, 04:16 AM
Opal

gracemayer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleCcowaN View Post
In that context it means something like "I hope all went as planned or told me what have changed". It looks you've told this person before that you'd rent a flat in Barcelona and study Spanish. These intentions are taken as reference to resume communication and that "espero que sí" doesn't mean a concrete expectation of that being done -you'll tell any new developments- but that person caring about -by remembering the last s/he new about your activities-. "Espero que sí" doesn't necessary translate into expectation but best wishes and that s/he wants to know how are you doing.

Maybe this is obvious but I have found a lot of cultural misunderstandings emerging from "an exact translation".
in the context of this letter, I would definitely translate this as "I hope so!"

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: