Old August 26, 2008, 03:34 PM
The Rebel Fairy

Native Language: Spanish
María José is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
Precious moments seems the be the kind of thing available in card stores and some people find that sort of thing endearing. As Shakespeare said, "to each his own".

The term pastelona confuses me though. Is is somehow related to cursilada?
Spot on.
When Sosia told Jane and me that we were pastelonas he meant cursis.(I wonder why he would say such a thing )
Cursi and pastelona are adjectives. Cursilada is a noun.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 26, 2008, 04:34 PM
The Rebel Fairy

Rusty,
Your post (8 in this thread)is fascinating. Another day when I have more time I'll give you some more examples like the go - goed one you used. It's even funnier and more surprising, if possible, with bilingual children.
Old August 26, 2008, 04:41 PM
Emerald

Native Language: English
Jane will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by María José View Post
Jane, I think David's explantion in post 2 of this thread is the best.
Language= idioma
Tongue= lengua
But I'm not sure if it's a hard and fast rule. It certainly applies to all the examples I thought of before.
What I wanted to know was how and when to use idioma and lenguaje, since they both seem to mean language.
Old August 26, 2008, 06:23 PM
rule 1: gravity

poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
What I wanted to know was how and when to use idioma and lenguaje, since they both seem to mean language.
Jane,
Here's my spin on this lenguaje word. Although dictionaries say it's the
same thing as lengua, it's less commonly used. I think it's more related
to lingo or jerga. I would use it sparingly.

María José,

Voila! Now I know what cursi means. I was never quite sure before today. It's related to kitsch

Rusty,
I studied linguistics for a few semesters, and there were a group of thinkers (Noam Chomsky among the) who theorized that language is innate in humans. At the time it was a revelation, and I forgot about it until recently, but obviously they were right. Every person is born with the noun, verb, pronoun grid in our brains whether we know it or not. Where there are two people there will be language. It's like hunting skills are innate in felines.

Last edited by poli; August 26, 2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old August 27, 2008, 04:21 AM
The Rebel Fairy

Kitsch

Poli,
I suppose from your point of view kitsch and cursi are very similar. In my opinion, your previous translations (sappy and corny) are better. But you already know I like Mamma Mia! and, can I add Pollyanna, Ann of Green Gables, Little Women...?
Old August 27, 2008, 06:03 AM
rule 1: gravity

poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by María José View Post
Poli,
I suppose from your point of view kitsch and cursi are very similar. In my opinion, your previous translations (sappy and corny) are better. But you already know I like Mamma Mia! and, can I add Pollyanna, Ann of Green Gables, Little Women...?
Kitsch is good because sometimes it ages well. As time distances itself from the sentiment the individiual piece of kitsch represents, we can look at it objectively, and that's fun, and sometimes the stuff is really good. The Smithsonian Institute and Victoria and Albert museums have rooms dedicated to old kitsch. Antique markets overflow with objects representing old sentiment (Chairman Mao wristwatches, world's fair memorabilia...) Saving contempory kitsch and cursi can be a better investment than a bond portfolio in our testaments for our children's children. I've thought of investing in some works of Thomas Kinkaid, but sadly I don't have the stomach for them, but if you do, think of you grandkids and invest now.

I should have done this in Spanish, but honestly, I don't think I would be able.
to convey it as well.
Old August 27, 2008, 10:58 AM
The Rebel Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
Kitsch is good because sometimes it ages well. As time distances itself from the sentiment the individiual piece of kitsch represents, we can look at it objectively, and that's fun, and sometimes the stuff is really good. The Smithsonian Institute and Victoria and Albert museums have rooms dedicated to old kitsch. Antique markets overflow with objects representing old sentiment (Chairman Mao wristwatches, world's fair memorabilia...) Saving contempory kitsch and cursi can be a better investment than a bond portfolio in our testaments for our children's children. I've thought of investing in some works of Thomas Kinkaid, but sadly I don't have the stomach for them, but if you do, think of you grandkids and invest now.

I should have done this in Spanish, but honestly, I don't think I would be able.
to convey it as well.
Seguro que sí hubieras podido.
Voy a echar un vistazo a ver si el Thomas Kinkaid ese qué dices es mi estilo o no. Pero vamos, si con Forever Friends se hace uno rico, mis hijos van a ser millonarios...
Acabo de buscar unas cuantas imágenes y como que no ... pero si me quieres regalar un Turner no le voy a hacer ascos.
Old August 27, 2008, 11:06 AM
The Rebel Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
Oops! Sorry, too difficult for me.
I suppose it's a question of use.
- el idioma español
- el lenguaje de las flores
- el idioma más hablado del mundo
Y no se me ocurren más ejemplos, pero como los demás también te han ayudado... No sé si te habré liado más todavía.
Por cierto, que a mitad del correo me he dado cuenta de que nos habíamos propuesto practicar el español...
No me he enterado de cómo acabó el novelón ese sobre tu vida con George...

Tags
idioma, lengua

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: