Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > The Tomísimo Lounge > General Chat
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Articles in British vs American English

Talk about anything here, just keep it clean.

Old August 01, 2012, 09:25 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Hmmm, it's probably also true that other Americans besides me didn't know that burgle was a verb and wouldn't imagine using it just as much as you wouldn't use 'burglarize'. "America and England are two countries divided by a common language" (a common misquoted quote).
What Rusty says is certainly true for me: I've never heard "burgle" from the mouth of a fellow North American native.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 02, 2012, 02:50 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
I often wonder how these differences come about. I assume that if the word has existed long enough to have been exported along with an English-speaking population to the USA, it is kind of strange that the word doesn't exist there.

I find that the noun burglary is first attested in 1532, burglar is first attested in 1541, from OFr burgier, pillage. But the verb to burgle only appears as late as 1872, a back-formation of burglar. The AmE burglarize is however attested in 1871.

So whereas the root noun was exported to the USA, the verbs where invented differently and simultaneously, although the AmE has the edge!

I confess that I find this quite interesting.
Old August 02, 2012, 06:29 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Back to the North American English term to hospitalize. I am sure I have heard the Spanish equivalent hospitalizar and hospitalizado. Is the term international or New York Spanish?

Also a British English question: Do butlers butle?
Old August 02, 2012, 08:18 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
The OED does not list it as a verb, but I knew someone in the UK who used to be a butler, and he used it regularly in things like "I butled for the Duke of ... for 10 years". I imagine it would be buttled, if written.
Old August 02, 2012, 09:08 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
The OED does not list it as a verb, but I knew someone in the UK who used to be a butler, and he used it regularly in things like "I butled for the Duke of ... for 10 years". I imagine it would be buttled, if written.
According to the etymology in one dictionary, "butler" entered into Middle English from Old French "bouteillier" = bottle-bearer, from "bouteille", "botele" = bottle. Which makes sense given that traditionally a butler is a head servant in charge of food service, care for the silverware, and the deportment of other servants...
Old August 03, 2012, 01:17 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No, they buttle. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/buttle includes a few citations.

As a similar back-formation, ushers may be said to ush, although that seems to be less established in literature.
Old August 03, 2012, 06:35 AM
rule 1: gravity

poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt33 View Post
No, they buttle. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/buttle includes a few citations.

As a similar back-formation, ushers may be said to ush, although that seems to be less established in literature.
I am sure that to ush is wrong and it almost sounds like a pun, because the verb to usher is the valid term.
Old August 03, 2012, 08:05 AM
Pearl

Native Language: Español
Don José is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Back to the North American English term to hospitalize. I am sure I have heard the Spanish equivalent hospitalizar and hospitalizado. Is the term international or New York Spanish?
They are common words here, but mainly in a formal language, e.g., in the news. I a standard conversation people would say "X ha estado en el hospital una semana" rather than "X ha estado hospitalizado una semana".
Old August 27, 2012, 06:29 PM
Opal

RogueFiccer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
To be honest, you really should not use Google to draw any conclusions. There are a tremendous number of idiots out there, lots of illiterate peole and lots using English badly. A google hit gives no indication that something is correct use.
YES! What they said. The number of native English speakers who have an extremely poor understanding of the language is appallingly high, especially online. Your best bet is to learn grammar, syntax, and correct conjugation here or another trustworthy site.

Quote:
I am sure that to ush is wrong and it almost sounds like a pun, because the verb to usher is the valid term.
'To usher' is correct. I used to volunteer as an usher at a theatre near where I live.

I suspect the differences between British English and American English came about partially as a result of the language being affected by different forces in each place, and partially because Americans came up with their own spellings and grammar when those things were starting to be standardized, because America is a free spirit and independent, not bound by anyone else's rules and regulations! ;D Seriously, I do think Americans deciding to come up with their own rules and spellings was an important factor. I don't think distance from England had much of a role because English in Australia and New Zealand is very similar to British English, despite the two countries being much farther from England and harder to reach than America.

Last edited by Rusty; September 01, 2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: merged back-to-back posts
Old August 27, 2012, 07:46 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Mmm...
Yeah, no wukkas, mate.

(Just kidding, probably you are right, although the Aussies, South Africans... and Injuns, etc. have their "peculiarities" too!)

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: