Old November 18, 2008, 03:55 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
Question S.S. Project

For S.S., we are going to do a project.
We have to write a one or two page letter to a friend justifying a position in a conflict with Parliament and/or the King of England.

Issues:
*Money
*Religion
*Foreign Policy
*Power
*Divine Right
*Petition of Right
*Dissolving Parliament
*Special Courts
*Test Act

Leaders:
*James I
*Charles I
*Oliver Cromwell
*Charles II

I decided to pick Charles I and money, religion, and divine right.
Here is an outline. What do you think of it? Do you have any ideas? I really want to get a 100 on this. Thanks!
I am going to be a member of Parliament. I am very upset with the King of England, Charles I.

FRUSTRATIONS
*Charles I can't just spend so much money for things he wants.
*Parliament has control of the money. The King has no right do spend it without our permission.
*Even if the King believes in Divine Right, he does not have absolute power. He has no right to do whatever he wants.

Dear Sofía,

I am so frustrated with the King! How dare he always asks us for money! He forced landowners to give "loans" to the governement. If they refused, they were put in jail. Do you feel the same as I, dear friend? I am outraged at the King's behavior.
Not only that, my friend, I am angered, as well as other people, by Charles' demand to billet and lodge his troops in private homes. What right can allow him to do this? He also placed some areas under martial law; the place where I live was one of them. We had limitations on individual rights! How angry I was.
Who says the King has absolute power? We, the Parliament, are the ones that control the money. We forced the King to sign the Petition of Right, but he ignored it!
Charles I may believe in Divine Right, but he has no right to do whatever he wants.

Last edited by Jessica; November 18, 2008 at 07:45 PM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old November 18, 2008, 09:54 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Wow, Jessica you should to be polite in a future, because if you need write a big roll in this post, well as you have said before, that is your homework, then I don't know above the martial law or right of the kinds in that countries, but and really that you wrote in your previous post is surprising, you have left me with the open edge, ha, ha, ha, well I don't more that telling you but, I wish the best of the lucks in your homework, and I hope you get a 100 in your homework.
Old November 19, 2008, 05:29 AM
Ankh-Morpork's citizen

Native Language: Spanish (Spain)
sosia has a spectacular aura aboutsosia has a spectacular aura about
It's a very good letter, really, but make it more "real". They do not have internet/ telephono, so the main the information was oral or letters. And also that other persons (a servant, a courier) can read the letters and speak to the King's guards.You must say things like "some people say. I have recently hear from a man of the Court/ I revceives a message form the count og... sho sayed.."
for example
I cousin of mine, who lives with the count of ..., has told me that the people who refuse the "loans".....
"Who says the King has absolute power?" This is very direct. You could go to jail/be beheaded for writing that. You must be more subtly.
" Although I think the King has Divine Right, God also say that is good to be humble and not to achieve great power...... The King must understand that the Parliament controls mopney for the sake of his own people, to avoid famine or very long wars..."
We forced the King to sign the Petition of Right, but he ignored it!
And God says also that one must keep his word, so he must not ignore the Petition of Right....

and so on.
greetings
Old November 19, 2008, 04:40 PM

I changed it:
Dear Jessica,
I am so frustrated with the King! Many things have happened since you left me. I will tell you everything that has happened. How dare he always ask us for money! He is wasting it on things he wants. He is not making this country better. We, the Parliament, control the money. He asked us for money to fight a war against Spain and France. When we gave him only a fraction of the sum he had requested, the King dissolved Parliament immediately. I was outraged. Charles I do not have absolute power, so he cannot just ask us for money all the time. Also, what right allows him to place some areas under martial law? My friend, we were all angered.
When the King called Parliament into session, England was already at war with both France and Spain. We were now ready to press charges on the King, however. We forced Charles to sign the Petition of Right. It severely limited Charles’ power in 4 ways: First, the King was forbidden to collect taxes or force loans without Parliament’s consent. Second, the King could not imprison anyone without just cause. Third, troops could not be housed in a private house against the will of the owner. Fourth, the King could not declare martial law unless the country was at war. I believe that the King would follow it, but deep inside I wondered if he would just ignore it.
Charles also deepened the religious divisions within England by naming William Laud to be Archbishop of Canterbury, the leading official of the Church of England. I was angry. This denied Puritans, like me and you, my friend, the right to preach or to publish. We were persecuted. They burned our writings and punished outspoken Puritans with public whippings. However, unlike some Puritans, I did not go to the English colonies in America. I decided to remain in my homeland. I was determined to fight Charles and other who opposed me and other Puritans.
Charles was in dire need of money when the Scots invaded England. He forced to recall a Parliament that he had ignored for 11 years. We, however, refused to discuss anything without first voicing our complaints. Then again, the King dissolved Parliament, after only 3 weeks. Then Charles became even more desperate for money. He had no choice but to summon us again. Would we give him any? No. We were all very angry and were determined to decrease Charles’ power.
My friend, I fear that war is coming; a civil war among us. A civil war in our own country! I fear that I may not be able to join you in America to live a peaceful and happy life. Since Parliament refused to give Charles money, Charles organized an army. We put our army under the command of Oliver Cromwell. My only hope is to somehow defeat the King’s army to restore peace in our nation.

Love,

Michael (Member of Parliament)

Last edited by Rusty; November 20, 2008 at 08:00 AM.
Old November 20, 2008, 12:02 AM
Ankh-Morpork's citizen

Native Language: Spanish (Spain)
sosia has a spectacular aura aboutsosia has a spectacular aura about
It's good enough to give it. But write it in a smaller size
Old November 20, 2008, 06:05 AM

Well if I write it in smaller size....it will be a bit hard for ME too read >.<
Old November 20, 2008, 08:01 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
I liked a lot your post because the kind of words is very pretty, but anyway I had to read very slow, because it's bit difficult to read the post for the kind of font, I'm not even very fast to read in English because you know, I'm learning the language, then sometimes the read is difficult for me but with that kind of font is more difficult even, but don't matter that, anyhow is very interesting your work.
Old November 20, 2008, 09:11 AM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchen View Post
Well if I write it in smaller size....it will be a bit hard for ME too read >.<
The special fonts and large sizes should only be used for making a heading or title for a post. If you make the whole post like that (different fonts/large sizes/gaudy colors), then it makes it really hard to read.
Old November 20, 2008, 08:06 PM

oh ok sorry. well anyways I'm sure I did O.K. on it :P

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: