Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework

Spanish Estar vs ser / Pred vs imp & subjunctive

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old January 21, 2009, 09:49 AM
Pearl

Native Language: English
cmon is on a distinguished road
[quote=BlueOcean;24140]Hoy martes estoy en el aeropuerto y tengo que pasar la aduana. El aduana me dice que ___(1)___(PONER) la maleta encima del mostrador. También quiere que le ___(2)___(DECIR) hacia donde me dirijo. Me impaciento y le pido que ___(3)___(HACER) los trámites cuanto antes para que mi vuelo no ___(4)___(SALIR) sin mí. Él me contesta que no cree que ___(5)___(VALER) la pena ponerme así. Todavía no han empezado a embarcar. A lo mejor no lo ___(6)___(SABER) él, pero no hay nada que ___(7)___(PODER) yo hacer ahora. Tendré que esperar mientras él ___(8)___(VERIFICAR) los documentos.

Can someone help me translate?

Today Tuesday I am in the airport and I have to pass thru customs. Customs is telling me that I put the suitcase on top of the check-in desk. ALso he wants that I tell him to where I am heading to. I am impatient and I request to him that he cut thru the red tape as soon as possible so that my flight doesn't leave without me. He answers me that he doesn't believe that it is worthwhile to become like that. Perhaps, he doesn't know it, but there is nothing that I can do now. I will have to wait while he verifies the documents.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 21, 2009, 10:11 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmon View Post
Today Tuesday I am in the airport and I have to pass thru customs. The customs agent tells me to put my suitcase on top of the counter. He also wants me to tell him where I'm headed. I'm getting impatient and I ask him to go through the procedure as soon as possible so that my flight doesn't leave without me. He answers that he doesn't think I should act that way. They haven't started loading yet. Perhaps he doesn't know it, but there is nothing I can do now. I will have to wait while he verifies the documents.
My suggestions above are closer to colloquial English. We don't normally use some of the structures you did because the subjunctive mood (and the usage of a secondary clause) has mostly disappeared in English.
Old January 21, 2009, 06:13 PM
Pearl

Native Language: English
cmon is on a distinguished road
I like to translate spanish as literally as I can even if it sounds funny in english. Probably a bad habit and I'm not sure it helps me any. Can you provide some example sentences using valer la pena wth other infinitives?
Old January 21, 2009, 08:58 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
vale la pena = it's worth it
vale la pena leerlo = it's worth reading (it)
vale la pena visitarlo = it's worth visiting (it)

no vale la pena ponerse así (no es para ponerse así)
=
It's not that big of a deal.
= It's not something you should get all worked up about.
= It's not something you should worry about.
= There's no reason to get uptight about it.
= It's not worth getting hot under the collar, etc., etc.

Tags
estar, ser, ser vs estar

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: