Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Vocabulary > Idioms & Sayings

Within spitting distance

An idiom is an expression whose meaning is not readily apparent based on the individual words in the expression. This forum is dedicated to discussing idioms and other sayings.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 22, 2012, 05:29 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Within spitting distance

I'd like to ask what distance may have speakers in mind when they say "within spitting distance" as I've just heard it in last episode of BBC's Escape to the Country when the would-be escapees told that they'd like to move to Saint Ives' area, Cambridgeshire, because it's "within spitting distance" of the sea (which is not closer than 20 miles).

So, isn't it a bit of a stretch to say "within spitting distance" for such a distance? or is it common use? I have a hard time imagining anything but a Dicke Bertha spitting that way.

By the way, the Spanish expressions "a tiro de piedra", "...de flecha", "...de lanza", "... de jabalina" are used with distances, at most a 20 minute walk. Sometimes other creative expressions like "a tiro de rifle" or even "a tiro de obús" are used for distances that are a bit more (or more than a bit more) than "a tiro de flecha".

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: