Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Oraciones Sustantivas: Contradicción de las reglas gramaticales

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 20, 2012, 08:40 AM
Opal

JSK is on a distinguished road
Oraciones Sustantivas: Contradicción de las reglas gramaticales

Hola a todos

since my Spanish profesor at the university wasn't able to help me because she didn't even understand what my question was (as always...) I've just registered for the forum. I hope that someone may help me out, I really don't understand this thing about Las Oraciones Sustantivas:

The second law of the first rule in our spanish book says => if the subject of verb 1 and the subject of verb 2 are not the same, the second verb has to be in subjunctive form. Example: Espero que nos veamos pronto.

Two subjects here, Subjunctive form needed, alright, easy thing.
Now on the next page is the second rule with the following laws:

=> If verb 1 is affirmative, verb 2 goes in Indicative form. Example:
Pienso que debemos irnos ahora.
=> If verb 1 is a negative question, verb 2 goes in Indicative form. Example: ¿ No comentaste que era fácil ?

It really irritates me because the two rules seemingly contradict each other. What am I supposed to write if I have a sentence with two subjects but the first verb being affirmative? Does one law outweigh the other one?

JSK

P.S.: My stupid teacher said about this: "Bueno, tienes que saber cuándo es necesario usar regla una y regla dos." Funny honey she is.... I'm not a spanish native and well, I DON'T know from instinct or something. Do you guys maybe have another idea how I can logically teach myself and see how and when to use which of the rules? There are many sentences in the exercise I stumble over, because I just don't notice a difference this is my very last grammar class in Spanish at the Uni and it gives me a pain in the ass. I have tons of questions, in fact, but this is the most basic one so let's start with this one first.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: