Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

By now, by then, by tomorrow

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old January 02, 2010, 01:01 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
@Perikles:

There is no contradiction. If you don't have a specific deadline, you have the rest of today and tomorrow's 24 hours to get the work done.

When the mason says "la pared va a estar para mañana", it means he will be working on it today, and may finish it tomorrow, before 6pm, which is the hour their working day ends.

When you say in a classroom: "Para mañana, lean el capítulo 3", it's assumed pupils have to read it before tomorrow's class.

If you have an important appointment for submitting a job, "para mañana" means it has to be done before that appointment.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 02, 2010, 01:19 PM
Emerald

Native Language: english
hermit is on a distinguished road
Otro ejemplo para los estudiantes nuevos:

"Te veo mañana." - I'll see you tomorrow.

"¿Mañana por la mañana?" - Tomorrow morning?

"Si, por la mañana." - Yes, in the morning.

Last edited by hermit; January 02, 2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old January 03, 2010, 12:10 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermit View Post
Otro ejemplo para los estudiantes nuevos:

"Te veo mañana." - I'll see you tomorrow.

"¿Mañana por la mañana?" - Tomorrow morning?

"Si, por la mañana." - Yes, in the morning.
Yes they are correct.

Congratulation.
Old January 03, 2010, 03:03 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
@Perikles:

There is no contradiction. If you don't have a specific deadline, you have the rest of today and tomorrow's 24 hours to get the work done.
OK, I suppose my confusion lies in the English 'by tomorrow / for tomorrow' I no longer know whether 'by tomorrow' means 'before tomorrow' or 'before the end of tomorrow'

I'm still confused, but thanks anyway.
Old January 03, 2010, 06:28 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Pues creo que "by tomorrow" quiere decir "antes de que empiece mañana" por defecto, pero que el significado depende del contexto. Por ejemplo

She's just an old windbag, she'll have forgotten by tomorrow => Cuando se levanta mañana ya habrá olvidado lo que sea.
It will be ready by tomorrow => Puedes venir mañana cuando quieras para llevarlo.

Pero

If I send it first class, will this letter reach London by tomorrow morning? => Si llegará mañana por la mañana está bien, pero si no tendré que buscar otra manera de enviarla.

Parte (¿gran parte?) de la ambigüedad es porque "mañana" a menudo no connota ni 00:00-23:59 del día que viene ni desde cuando se levante el día que viene hasta cuando se acueste sino algún evento o tiempo implícito. En el ejemplo de Angélica "Para mañana, lean el capítulo 3" ("Read chapter 3 for/by tomorrow"), "mañana" refiere a "la clase que tendremos mañana".

A veces hay que hacer explícito el tiempo para que tú y tu interlocutor no lleguéis a opiniones distintas del tiempo implícito. Entonces, Perikles, quizás deberías decir al albañil, "¿Estará lista para que entre mañana por la mañana?"
Old January 03, 2010, 06:41 AM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
But there is some context that is necessary here, too:

- To my students: "Your online test needs to be done by tomorrow." (My students know me, and know the expectations, and if they have to have something finished by a certain day, it means that they have to have it done prior to the beginning of class, whatever time during the day that may be.)
- A colleague to her students: "Your online test needs to be done by tomorrow." (Her students know her, and know her expectations, and they know that when she wants a particular assignment completed, it has to be by the end of the school day, about 2:30pm.)
- Your example sentence: "The old windbag will have forgotten about it by tomorrow." (Yes, I would expect that to mean that when she wakes up in the morning, she'll have forgotten about whatever it is...)

????
Old January 03, 2010, 06:44 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt33 View Post
Pues creo que "by tomorrow" quiere decir "antes de que empiece mañana" por defecto, pero que el significado depende del contexto. En el ejemplo de Angélica "Para mañana, lean el capítulo 3" ("Read chapter 3 for/by tomorrow"), "mañana" refiere a "la clase que tendremos mañana".

A veces hay que hacer explícito el tiempo para que tú y tu interlocutor no lleguéis a opiniones distintas del tiempo implícito. Entonces, Perikles, quizás deberías decir al albañil, "¿Estará lista para que entre mañana por la mañana?"
Thanks very much, pjt, for the input - that is how I understand it. The examples given by Angelica are clear, except for
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
When the mason says "la pared va a estar para mañana", it means he will be working on it today, and may finish it tomorrow, before 6pm, which is the hour their working day ends.
which is not how I would understand it. (and in Tenerife it means in three weeks time anyway)
Old January 03, 2010, 07:38 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
(and in Tenerife it means in three weeks time anyway)
Ha Ha! I read somewhere once that mañana means not today. This is certainly true.
Old January 03, 2010, 10:11 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
Thanks very much, pjt, for the input - that is how I understand it. The examples given by Angelica are clear, except for
which is not how I would understand it. (and in Tenerife it means in three weeks time anyway)
If you you to the Post Office and you are told that your letter will arrive by tomorrow.

I bet you want to know exactly at what time tomorrow will my letter be there.

Does it make it any clearer?

As to your comment about Tenerife. In Chile you have to tell people the time you want them to arrive at least 2 hours prior of what actually is.
Old January 03, 2010, 10:24 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
If you you to the Post Office and you are told that your letter will arrive by tomorrow.

I bet you want to know exactly at what time tomorrow will my letter be there.

Does it make it any clearer?
Well, it does in that it is in the same category as 'the homework must be done for tomorrow'. It makes it clear that a specific time is required or understood. The 'homework' example is clear because there is an (unstated) time (the lesson tomorrow). The post office letter is fairly clear in that you know that there is a time of day when letters are available. You know the letter will be there by (say) midday, not 18.00.

As for building the wall, it is clear that para mañana needs further info, like a time of day, for it to be unambiguous.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: