Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > The Tomísimo Lounge > General Chat
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Best Place to Learn Spanish in Spain?

Talk about anything here, just keep it clean.

Closed Thread

Old February 23, 2009, 01:19 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
kujina is on a distinguished road
Best Place to Learn Spanish in Spain?

Hello All,

I'm currently writing this email from Buenos Aires, I have been studying Spanish here for a few weeks, I'm going back to England in a week.

I would like to keep my learning momentum going by spending around two weeks this coming summer somewhere in Spain (cheap ticket via easyjet etc) maybe a homestay.

Obviously I'd like a place where Castallano is spoken well and ideally where very few people speak English.

I'm up for staying in villages or towns too (as long as the language remains reasonably clear).

Any Suggestions?

...Thanks...

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old February 23, 2009, 01:23 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Welcome to the forums. A couple of nice places to visit in Spain have been mentioned in other threads, but I'll let others tell you about them, or other places.

Castellano is widely spoken in Spain, but it isn't the only language you'll encounter.
Old February 23, 2009, 01:43 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Welcome.

As Rusty said before it already was mentioned in other threads.

I don't know anything about Spain. But I'm a Mexican person and if you want to information about Mexico, I will glad in give you information about of my country. As well if you have some question or need learn Spanish please you feeling free to ask me.
Old February 23, 2009, 01:50 PM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
One thing you should take into account is, for example, in Barcelona, quite a few people speak Catalán, so you might get less exposure to Spanish there. Do some research before you go. Sosia and Poli might have some better suggestions.
Old February 24, 2009, 01:01 AM
Ankh-Morpork's citizen

Native Language: Spanish (Spain)
sosia has a spectacular aura aboutsosia has a spectacular aura about
Usually it's said the "castillian" regions are the most pure (Salamanca, Burgos, León, Toledo, Ciudad Real,..) But you can learn good spanish everywhere Madrid, Navarra, Aragón, Asturias, Cantabria...... you only need to study.
If ypu go to a language school, you can go everywhere in Spain.
If you go to real inmersion, I recommend to avoid the three "edges" (Andalucía,
Cataluña, Galicia), because they have a characteristic accent.
Saludos
Old February 24, 2009, 06:00 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
First, be aware that Spanish spoke by the Bonaerences is a lot slower.
The rhythm is completely different. In Argentina, the accented word in the sentence is often the first word in short sentences unlike in Spain where is it often the second the the last word. To the foreign ear Spanish spoken is Castille is very sing-song and tonal like Mandarin but with tons of cognates.

As nice and as incredibly inexpensive Buenos Aires is, it cannot compare to the cultural richness of Spain. It has the richness that comes with being the actual seat of an empire that had its last breath about 110 years ago but lasted 400 years, Spain holds on to a kind of cultural impererialism(not in a negative way; it's comparable to England's role in the anglo world today) that still holds sway. When the king told Chavez to shut his mouth, the world listened. When Spain had a dictator, much of Latin America had dictators. When Spain became a democracy, military rule in Latin America started to crumble.

Because of it's cultural force, Spain is fascinating. Madrid is it's capital,
and much of the vibrancy of the country is there. The place and its people may stimulate you to learn--or intimidate you. I think it's the best place if you're interested in cultural as well as language immersion. Smaller university towns that Sosia mentioned (Salamanca and Burgos) are of course less hectic, and because there is less to do, may be better for studying.
Old May 07, 2009, 03:46 PM
Opal

Sebastian is on a distinguished road
Post Best place to learn Spanish

Hi ,
why don´t you give Granada a try? 80.000 students, the Alhambra and Albayzin, snow and seaside closer than an hour away, free tapas with your drink.
I know the legend complaining about bad and fast pronuntiation in southern Spain, but there is a much better use and knowledge of grammacy in Andalucia than in central and northern Spain(v.g here there´are no mistakes using lo,le,la... ).
So, if you plan to come , take a look at my blog where I´ve put into a summary of all language schools in Granada.
Old May 07, 2009, 03:47 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
Hi ,
why don´t you give Granada a try? 80.000 students, the Alhambra and Albayzin, snow and seaside closer than an hour away, free tapas with your drink.
I know the legend complaining about bad and fast pronuntiation in southern Spain, but there is a much better use and knowledge of grammacy in Andalucia than in central and northern Spain(v.g here there´are no mistakes using lo,le,la... ).
So, if you plan to come , take a look at my blog where I´ve put into a summary of all language schools in Granada.
It seem more an invitation right?

Last edited by CrOtALiTo; May 07, 2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old May 07, 2009, 03:49 PM
Opal

Sebastian is on a distinguished road
sorry, I forgot to enter the enter the blog.
<snip>

Last edited by Tomisimo; May 07, 2009 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Removed spam
Old May 08, 2009, 12:33 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
¿Entonces Madrid es un lugar buena aprender castellano? ¡Tambien el bernabéu es en Madrid!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: