Old March 13, 2013, 08:46 AM
Opal

Native Language: English
abrink is on a distinguished road
Hola ustedes

Me llama Alex y soy un estudiante en ECU en Greenville, NC. Yo estudio Justicia Criminal y estudios hispánicos.

After taking one college class in Spanish, I knew that it was for me. I liked it a lot, so I decided to double major. I was looking online for somewhere I could practice the language. I think I found it!

I look forward to joining you all in your study/teaching/learning of foreign languages.

I completed the introduction to my profile in Spanish. I was wondering if one of you all could check it for mistakes? I'd really appreciate it!

Thank you!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old March 13, 2013, 08:51 AM
Emerald

Liquinn3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrink View Post
Me llama Alex y soy un estudiante en ECU en Greenville, NC. Yo estudio Justicia Criminal y estudios hispánicos.

After taking one college class in Spanish, I knew that it was for me. I liked it a lot, so I decided to double major. I was looking online for somewhere I could practice the language. I think I found it!

I look forward to joining you all in your study/teaching/learning of foreign languages.

I completed the introduction to my profile in Spanish. I was wondering if one of you all could check it for mistakes? I'd really appreciate it!

Thank you!
Hi, welcome to the forums. I'm not a native speaker - I'm sure a native speaker on here will check it soon.

Quick question; do you find speaking or writing Spanish the hardest?

Hope to see you around soon.

Saludos.

Last edited by Liquinn3; March 13, 2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:13 AM
Opal

I have to say that I find speaking a lot harder than writing. Speaking usually requires an immediate reply without thinking about it. For example, if someone asks you, "how are you today?" it wouldn't be polite to wait and think about your answer. You'd have to come up with a quick response. In writing one is able to think about and carefully plan a response to a question or a composition.

However, when you're speaking, I feel like it's easier to be grammatically correct. It's easier to hide your mistakes (if that makes sense). As long as your pronunciation is somewhat on point, the other person is bound to know what you're saying. When you're writing you can easily forget an accent, an ñ, make spelling mistakes, etc.

It's kind of a toss-up, but overall I find writing easier.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:17 AM
Emerald

Quote:
I have to say that I find speaking a lot harder than writing. Speaking usually requires an immediate reply without thinking about it. For example, if someone asks you, "how are you today?" it wouldn't be polite to wait and think about your answer. You'd have to come up with a quick response. In writing one is able to think about and carefully plan a response to a question or a composition.

However, when you're speaking, I feel like it's easier to be grammatically correct. It's easier to hide your mistakes (if that makes sense). As long as your pronunciation is somewhat on point, the other person is bound to know what you're saying. When you're writing you can easily forget an accent, an ñ, make spelling mistakes, etc.

It's kind of a toss-up, but overall I find writing easier.
I find speaking easier personally but that's just me. I'm going to Spain next week for 5 days so I should get a lot of speaking/listening practice in the actual country which I guess would help. I guess with writing is you have all the accents and you have to use the punctuation correctly in wriitng; whereas in speaking you have no accents on the words. I guess with speaking you're more on the spot. The massive good thing with Spanish is, if you can write it... you can speak it. :P

Then again... speaking it feels more 'real' if that makes sense? Thankfully I won't have to write much, if at all on my trip to Spain next week. I guess with speaking to someone you're more on the spot; you've gotta understand what they're saying and reply back in Spanish. Though writing is good since your writing can be improved several times and with writing you do have access to a dictionary and a translator (which I use occasionally). Writing's not going to get me far in Spain though. :P Writing is more permanent whereas speaking isn't too.

I personally find writing a pain in the ass, since I agree with you. I feel it's more easier to be more grammatically correct when speaking. With speaking you can't forget to put an accent on the word or mis-spell it. Hmmm. I think it all depends on what you intend doing with the language. Hope to see you around.

I've been learning Spanish for about 7 months now and I'm far from fluent. Far from it. =[ Why do people say it's easier to learn the language if you're in the country as well? Being in the country won't make me fluent.

Last edited by Liquinn3; March 13, 2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:38 AM
Opal

Interesting! Yes, speaking surely does make the language seem more "real." I love speaking the language, but I just find it more difficult.

Good luck on your trip! I'm sure you'll have a great time and learn a lot.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:49 AM
Emerald

Quote:
Interesting! Yes, speaking surely does make the language seem more "real." I love speaking the language, but I just find it more difficult.

Good luck on your trip! I'm sure you'll have a great time and learn a lot.
I find writing the hardest because it's more formal.

Anyways, all the best to you.
Old March 13, 2013, 11:53 AM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Thank you!
Hola abrink y bienvenido a nuestro foro. Te(you)pareces una persona divertida e interesante. Al igual que yo. jajajaja... Estoy ansioso de hablar contigo en español. Yo tambien soy un double major con el español.

A proposito/By the way: Te pareces=you seem - Not tu pareces - As in Me gusta and not Yo gusta - Te gusta not Tu gusta

Last edited by Rusty; March 13, 2013 at 06:16 PM. Reason: removed flawed translation
Old March 13, 2013, 01:41 PM
Pearl

Native Language: German, Serbian & Albanian
Premium is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Thank you!
Bienvenido a los foros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn3 View Post
Why do people say it's easier to learn the language if you're in the country as well? Being in the country won't make me fluent.
You learn a language much quicker if you are in their country. A friend of mine spent a year in Spain, pretty much everywhere. After 3 months, he was able to have a conversation without thinking in his native tongue what to say. After 9 months, he could watch Spanish movies, talk-shows etc without having any problems to understand it. When you are in Spain, you're going to speak Spanish all the time to native speakers, which will make your progress remarkable. They'll be pleased if you try to speak in their native tongue, as far as from my experience.

Do you mind correcting what seems wrong? I'm pretty sure i made some mistakes.

Last edited by Premium; March 13, 2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old March 13, 2013, 06:20 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premium View Post
You learn a language much quicker if you are in their country. A friend of mine spent a year in Spain, pretty much everywhere. After 3 months, he was able to have a conversation without thinking in his native tongue what to say. After 9 months, he could watch Spanish movies, talk-shows, etc., without having any problems understanding it. When you are in Spain, you're going to speak Spanish all the time to native speakers, which will make your progress remarkable. They'll be pleased if you try to speak in their native tongue, as far as from my experience as far as my experience goes.

Do you mind correcting what seems wrong? I'm pretty sure I've made some mistakes.
Corrections above.
Old March 14, 2013, 04:12 AM
Pearl

Native Language: German, Serbian & Albanian
Premium is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Corrections above.
Less than i thought it would be. Thank you very much.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: