Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

¡Los españoles hablan tan rápidamente! ¡Qué difícil comprender las palabras!

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old September 19, 2012, 07:03 PM
Emerald

Native Language: English
Glen is on a distinguished road
Well, I don't know what else to say. That was a good clarification he just gave to my post, so maybe to expand on it a little, pick just one thing to focus on, for example the verb endings -o, -as, -a, -amos, etc., through the -er and -ir classes of verbs and their endings as well. As a beginning, you might try to catch the sound of those endings at least, even if the rest of the word flies by too fast to understand. Or, maybe listen for some of the suffixes, for example -dad as in amabilidad, cantidad, bondad, dificultad. Given time, what comes before the suffix will become clearer and clearer.

What I meant about listening to songs, is that singers have to prolong the words so as to fit the rhythm, meaning the listener has more time to take in the syllables and thus make sense of the entire word. (Conversely of course, some words have to get squeezed to fit the rhythm!)

Sorry I'm probably not being very clear. Just take comfort in the fact that there are only five vowel sounds to learn - as opposed to many more in English - and that they are always enunciated with purity, not the carelessness one hears in English.

Good Luck, and keep listening!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: