Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture

Español de España

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Old February 16, 2010, 09:44 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Español y Panocho!
CarmenCarmona is on a distinguished road
SOUND CHANGES IN THE UK

‘The Great Divide’ is the name that was given to the changes that took place around 1750 when American and British English, which shared common features, began a separate evolution. Specifically, the following sound changes occurred in the British Isles, not everywhere though:
Until the 17th century, words such as ‘put-putt’ or ‘could-cud’ were homophones, that is to say they were pronounced in the same way, all of them containing /ʊ/. However, the latter phoneme split into /ʌ/ and those words could be perfectly distinguished then.
In this same period, the ‘NG-coalescence’ phenomenon rose, which consisted on words that ended in /ŋg/ merged into /ŋ/ and finally into /n/. As a result, words such as ‘singer’ and ‘sinner’ became homophones.
In the 18th century, the phoneme /r/ started being dropped in post-vocalic position, bringing about the distinction between rhotic and non-rhotic accents.
In the 19th century, the monophthong /e:/ turned into /eɪ/ for words such as ‘face’ or ‘made’ and the monophthongs /o:/ and /u:/ became /ou/ and /əʊ/ respectively, for words such as ‘go’ or ‘stone’. This phenomenon is known as ‘Long-mid diphthonging’.
At around this time, ‘H-dropping’ also became widespread all over England causing words such as ‘hill’ and ‘ill’ to be homophones.
To conclude, the 20th century was characterized by two phenomena: ‘Happy Tensing’, whereby the phoneme /ɪ/ was lengthened into /i:/ in final unstressed vowels such as ‘coffee’ or ‘very’; and finally, ‘L-vocalization’ led to the transition from ‘clear l’ /l/ to ‘dark l’ /ɬ/ and lastly to the vowel /ʊ/ in post-vocalic position, thus a word like ‘milk’ is pronounced as /mɪʊk/.

This post might be a bit off-topic but it's interesting anyway.

I don't know what's wrong with the prints, by the way!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old February 16, 2010, 09:49 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmenCarmona View Post
SOUND CHANGES IN THE UK

‘The Great Divide’ is the name that was given to the changes that took place around 1750 when American and British English, which shared common features, began a separate evolution. Specifically, the following sound changes occurred in the British Isles, not everywhere though:
Until the 17th century, words such as ‘put-putt’ or ‘could-cud’ were homophones, that is to say they were pronounced in the same way, all of them containing /ʊ/. However, the latter phoneme split into /ʌ/ and those words could be perfectly distinguished then.
In this same period, the ‘NG-coalescence’ phenomenon rose, which consisted on words that ended in /ŋg/ merged into /ŋ/ and finally into /n/. As a result, words such as ‘singer’ and ‘sinner’ became homophones.
In the 18th century, the phoneme /r/ started being dropped in post-vocalic position, bringing about the distinction between rhotic and non-rhotic accents.
In the 19th century, the monophthong /e:/ turned into /eɪ/ for words such as ‘face’ or ‘made’ and the monophthongs /o:/ and /u:/ became /ou/ and /əʊ/ respectively, for words such as ‘go’ or ‘stone’. This phenomenon is known as ‘Long-mid diphthonging’.
At around this time, ‘H-dropping’ also became widespread all over England causing words such as ‘hill’ and ‘ill’ to be homophones.
To conclude, the 20th century was characterized by two phenomena: ‘Happy Tensing’, whereby the phoneme /ɪ/ was lengthened into /i:/ in final unstressed vowels such as ‘coffee’ or ‘very’; and finally, ‘L-vocalization’ led to the transition from ‘clear l’ /l/ to ‘dark l’ /ɬ/ and lastly to the vowel /ʊ/ in post-vocalic position, thus a word like ‘milk’ is pronounced as /mɪʊk/.

This post might be a bit off-topic but it's interesting anyway.

I don't know what's wrong with the prints, by the way!
Muy interesante
Old February 21, 2010, 10:47 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Where did you get that documentary?

Really it sounds very interesting in the it's saying there.
Old February 22, 2010, 10:38 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Español y Panocho!
CarmenCarmona is on a distinguished road
I got it at college, in a course called 'Varieties of English'. I got honors and everything!
Old March 10, 2010, 01:36 AM
Pearl

Native Language: Castillan spanish
explorator is on a distinguished road
Efectivamente el sonido c/z, en España es aproximadamente equivalente al de la th en inglés. Además en general la entonación española es menos musical que la americana. Por otra parte, muchos países americanos como México, Venezuela o Colombia tienen unas estructuras gramaticales más parecidas a las del Inglés que a las del español tradicional, si a eso le añadimos que utilizan las mismas palabras con significados diferentes, en ocasiones entendernos puede resultar muy confuso. Con todo, en el nivel culto de la lengua, las diferencias se diluyen bastante y es el sonido c/z la clave que permite en última instancia la distinción de las versiones americana y española.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: