Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework

My day in the past

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old April 24, 2018, 02:38 PM
Opal

malafight is on a distinguished road
My day in the past

So I have an assignment to write a short story about my day in the past tense and i want you guys to check if it's correct

En el domingo me levante a las siete y media de la manana.Me dasayune los huevos revueltos y bebi la cafe.Despeus me fui a la trabajar en tramvia.Trabaje hasta la dos de la tarde.Mas tarde me fui comida.Volvi de mi casa y teni mi tiempo libre.Por la tarde mi madre preparó la cena y yo ayude.A las diez yo fui a dormir.

Forgive me lack of spanish letters, i know where they should be but my keyboard can't make em.Thanks in advance!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 24, 2018, 06:16 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Above the box you used to enter your assignment, there is an 'Accents' drop-down box. Click on it and select the Spanish special characters. The selected character will be inserted.

I've marked what needs to be changed in red, with some notes in purple to help you figure out what change to make. Most of the changes are to correct misspelled words, which include those you didn't accent correctly. Select the accented vowels from the 'Accents' drop-down menu when you enter the corrected text.
We'll have another look at your corrected text once you post it.

Always insert a single space after a period ('.').
Quote:
Originally Posted by malafight View Post
En el domingo me levante a las siete y media de la manana.
(Just specify the article in front of a day of the week to convey the notion of 'on'.)

Me dasayune los huevos revueltos y bebi la cafe.
(The verb 'desayunarse' (note the spelling) means 'eat/have breakfast'. Therefore, it doesn't take a direct object. You can introduce the idea that you're eating breakfast with the prepositional phrase 'for breakfast' (the article is needed in the Spanish translation) and then use the verb 'comer', which does take a direct object. By the way, the more colloquial way to say 'drink' is 'tomar' instead of 'beber'.)

Despeus() me fui a la trabajar en tramvia.
(The parentheses indicate where punctuation is needed. The verb 'irse' means 'leave (some place to go to another)'. In your sentence, it's OK to use either 'ir' or 'irse'. The prepositional phrase that follows the verb has the wrong noun. Once corrected, you'll either have an infinitive (functioning as a noun) or a noun with an article. For the latter, you'll also combine the article and the preposition. )

Trabaje hasta la dos de la tarde.

Mas tarde() me fui () comida.
(The first set of parentheses indicates the need for punctuation. The second set indicates that a preposition is missing. The prepositional object is incorrect. In this case, it will be an infinitive, which functions as a noun.)

Volvi de mi casa y teni mi tiempo libre.
(Using 'de' after the verb 'volver' means 'return/come back from'. I believe you meant to say 'return home', since you were at work. Choose the correct preposition, and don't use 'mi'. The word 'tení' doesn't exist. 'Tener' is irregular in the preterit tense. Don't use 'mi'.)

Por la tarde() mi madre preparó la cena y yo () ayude.
(The parentheses indicate a need for punctuation. There's no need for the subject pronoun, since the ending of the verb conveys the first person. You should add a direct object pronoun (the translation of 'her') where the second set of parentheses appears.)

A las diez() yo fui a dormir.
(There is missing punctuation and there's no need for the subject pronoun.)
Old April 25, 2018, 07:46 AM
Opal

malafight is on a distinguished road
I must admit that english is not my mother tongue either, so all that you wrote i understand pretty vaguely, especially that i never have been a master of grammar.I don't really get what is wrong with the ,,me fui a la trabajar" part.Apart from that, did best i could to correct the mistakes.

El domingo me levanté a las siete y media de la mañana. Me comí los huevos revueltos y tomí la café. Después, me fui a la trabajar en tranvía.
Trabajé hasta dos de la tarde. Más tarde, me fui la comida.Volví a la casa y tuve mi tiempo libre. Por la tarde, mi madre preparó la cena y, le ayudé.
A las diez, fui a dormir.
Old April 25, 2018, 10:02 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Good job! I've removed the articles and other stuff you don't need and have marked in red what still needs changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malafight View Post
I don't really get what is wrong with the "me fui a la trabajar" part.
(You don't need the 'me' or the 'la'. Or you can say, "fui al trabajo." The difference is "I went to work" versus "I went to my job.")

El domingo me levanté a las siete y media de la mañana. (Me) comí los huevos revueltos y tomí la café. Después, (me) fui a la trabajar en tranvía.
Trabajé hasta () dos de la tarde. Más tarde, me fui la comida. Volví a la casa y tuve mi tiempo libre. Por la tarde, mi madre preparó la cena y, le ayudé.
A las diez, fui a dormir.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: