Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Has anybody ever eaten polenta and or horse meat? Non traditional Italian food.

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Old September 10, 2009, 05:28 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa View Post
I spent a month in northern Italy this past summer. Ate a lot of food that people don't usually think of as Italian food. For one thing I went to this steak house in Vicenza, Italy. They had huge thick steaks and also horse meat steaks. Somebody said they get the horse meat from Argentina.

At any rate one common food in Italy that doesn't seem Italian at all is polenta. It's the same word in Spanish. It's prepared in different ways and mixed with different things.

Polenta is a dish made from boiled cornmeal. Although the word "polenta" is borrowed into English from Italian, and it is a traditional staple food throughout much of Northern Italy, the same dish (under various names) is also found in Slovenian, Savoyard, Swiss, American Southern, Austrian, Portuguese, Bosnian, Croatian, Cuban, Hungarian, Serbian, Romanian, Bulgarian, Georgian, Corsican, Argentine, Uruguayan, Brazilian, Peruvian, Venezuelan, Haitian, Mexican and Turkish cuisines.

Really I don't know anything about the dish you are talking about.

But I'd like to know where is knowns thus dish in Mexico, because you mentioned something similar to Mexico food.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 10, 2009, 06:14 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
Really I don't know anything about the dish you are talking about.

But I'd like to know where is knowns thus dish in Mexico, because you mentioned something similar to Mexico food.
Sí tiene algo semejante a la comida mexicana. La masa de los tamales
parece algo la polenta, pero la polenta es la masa nada más. No viene enrollano en la hoja de elote. Tambien la polenta suele estar hecho de harina de maiz amarillo no blanco. A veces hechan queso rayado a la masa y frecuentamente lo sirve con guisados con mucha salsa. La polenta absorba la salsa casi como esagueti y puede ser delicioso.

Creo que(si no había ocurrido ya) con los condimentos correctos, la polenta puede estar incorporada en la comida mexicana sin problemas en las manos de un buen chef inventivo.
Old September 10, 2009, 07:43 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: Español(Argentina)
ookami is on a distinguished road
I eat polenta since I'm a child, not with much frequence but it isn't a strange dish at all here.
I love it! My mother makes it with milk + xxxxx + bolognesa sauce (meat and tomato and garlic and ...) + pieces of cheese and a quite good quantity of it in the middle.
It's a very fast food, nothing to elaborate. If you buy the one "instant polenta" on the supermarket, you can make it as I have told you in 5-10 minutes maximum.

And for the one that said "maybe I have ate horse meat in Argentina".. :P it isn't That common to eat horse meat without realizing, and still more (¿y aun más?) if you don't asked especially for it. Cow+++

What you must probe is patagonic lamb (cordero patagónico), it's expensive but....

Last edited by ookami; September 10, 2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old September 10, 2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ookami View Post
I eat polenta since childhood,but not very often. It isn't a strange dish at all here.
I love it! My mother makes it with milk + xxxxx + bolognesa sauce (meat and tomato and garlic and ...) + pieces of cheese and a quite good quantity of it in the middle.
It's a very fast food, nothing to elaborate. If you buy "instant polenta" in the supermarket, you can make it as I have told you in 5-10 minutes maximum.

And for the one that said "maybe I have ate horse meat in Argentina".. :P it isn't That common to eat horse meat without realizing it, and still more (¿y aun más?) if you don't asked especially for it. Cow+++

What you must probe is patagonic lamb (cordero patagónico), it's expensive but....
Instead say: What you must try is Patagonian lamb.
Bueno, por lo menos no soy el único que encuentra polenta sabrosa.

Last edited by poli; September 10, 2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old September 10, 2009, 11:16 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
I've never eaten horse and I'll never do, they're so beautiful and free
Old September 11, 2009, 01:11 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
parece algo la polenta, pero la polenta es la masa nada más. No viene enrollano en la hoja de elote. Tambien la polenta suele estar hecho de harina de maiz amarillo no blanco. A veces hechan queso rayado a la masa y frecuentamente lo sirve con guisados con mucha salsa. La polenta absorba la salsa casi como esagueti y puede ser delicioso.

Creo que(si no había ocurrido ya) con los condimentos correctos, la polenta puede estar incorporada en la comida mexicana sin problemas en las manos de un buen chef inventivo.
La primera vez que leí esa palabra creí que debía ser "hacen" (formación errónea desde "hecho"), pero luego me di cuenta de que "echan" tenía más sentido.
Old September 11, 2009, 09:12 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post

You believe me, I never have eaten that before, it's first time to listen mentioned thus dish, but I can see that too delicious.

If you have the date where I can find that dish in my country.
Old September 11, 2009, 09:49 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
@Poli: I can assure you that "tamales" have absolutely nothing in common with polenta. Much different flavour and consistency. If you get such a sticky and thick tamal, it means the chef is very clumsy or that it's half-cooked.
Anyway, polenta is, as you said, more related to pasta, but in my humble opinion a lot less interesting despite the ingredients you add to it.

@Crotalito: búscala en un supermercado grande, en el área de pastas.
Old September 11, 2009, 10:40 AM

Es verdad que polenta no es exactamente igual a la masa de los tamales. La harina de polenta es más molido (aunque polenta integral es disponible) que la de los tamales y usan harina de maiz amarilla en lugar de blanca pero la semejanza es natural.
Las dos tienen el sabor de maiz pero la consistencia de la polenta varie. Puede ser suave como flan o tiesa como una tortilla gruesa o arepa. Como la masa de tamal el sabor de polenta cambia con los ingredientes..dulces para desayuno y salada para la cena.

En el sur de EEUU es común comer grits. Los grits están hechos con canchas de maiz seca (pozole) molidas. Los comen en la mañana con lo que sea (tocino, frijoles de ojo negro por ejemplo). Los Grits son polenta pero con maiz blanco. Tambien puede cocinarlos en un sarten hasta se seca y despúes freirlos como buñuelos (hushpuppies) o a la parilla como panqueques. Casi donde vivo yo no se los encuenta, pero en puntos sur,sí.
Old September 23, 2009, 08:24 AM
Opal

wavehuntress is on a distinguished road
My friend had me try 'charky' which (unbeknownst to me) is traditionally made from horse flesh here. I didn't care for the charky, as it's dried and shredded to the point where it has a straw-like texture, nothing at all like the tough and salty 'jerky' I know. Of course once I found out it was horse meat... well, never again.

I have eaten bear (tough), moose (probably a purely Canadian thing), deer (delicious), ostrich (good, but not worth the high price), goat (awesome on a barbeque), lamb (always awesome), rabbit (hard to say as it was in a stew) and shark (surprisingly mild in flavor) to list a few.

I have had arepas made with white corn flour although they aren't a native dish here (the flour is imported from Columbia) and I thought they were delicious.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: