Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Vocabulary > Idioms & Sayings
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Now and again

An idiom is an expression whose meaning is not readily apparent based on the individual words in the expression. This forum is dedicated to discussing idioms and other sayings.

Old May 28, 2010, 05:00 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Question Now and again

In Spanish, "de vez en cuando" "ocasionalmente", but, what do you use more habitually in English, "now and again" or rather "now and then"?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 28, 2010, 05:10 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPablo View Post
In Spanish, "de vez en cuando" "ocasionalmente", but, what do you use more habitually in English, "now and again" or rather "now and then"?
Well, I use "now and again" now and then, but on the other hand, I use "now and then" now and again as well.

OK - the BNC gives 394 and 509 instances of the two, which seems inconclusive. You might find this facility useful. BNC

Last edited by Perikles; May 28, 2010 at 05:14 AM.
Old May 28, 2010, 05:45 AM
Diamond

Well, Perikles, thank you. I have bookmarked this BNC link, as I definitely find it useful!
Then again, my original question here was more a curiosity than something super crucial... still, a way to keep practicing, or practising... rather.
While the statistics on BNC seem inconclusive, your answer in itself is very valuable... and since Perikles started a Golden Age in Greece, and was quite a leader and quite an example... I would tend to follow your example and use "now and again" now and then, and "now and then", now and again. Once in a blue moon, I'd find some variation, but my conclusion is that I can go with both, without much problem or concern. Once more, thank you for your input and the link!
Old May 28, 2010, 06:40 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
You are welcome, and note the link to the American equivalent, with which you could compare AmE usage with BrE usage (not directly of course because the American one is much larger).
Old May 28, 2010, 06:51 AM
Diamond

Gotcha! Good to have you around! (or should I write "A-"? I am still a bit shaky with my Smilieogues language, I hope I don't too much... I.e., sometimes I miss the nuances between and , but I take it is easier than learning the Chinese pictograms, ideograms, etc...) At any rate, thank you again!
Old May 28, 2010, 08:52 PM
Opal

Newly is on a distinguished road
"Now and then" is the more modern sounding to me. "Now and again" sounds like something more for older people to say. Also, I would rarely say "now and then" by itself. It would pretty much always be used with the word "every" in front.

"Every now and then, I like to eat chocolate." Sounds perfect to me.
"Now and then, I like to eat chocolate." Sounds wrong.
"I like to eat chocolate now and then." Sounds fine, but using "every" sounds better.
"Now and again, I like to eat chocolate." Sounds like I'm telling a bed time story or I'm old.
Old May 28, 2010, 09:06 PM
Diamond

Thank you, Newly,
Your points are taken. (I get your perception on the "again" version as slightly more dated.)
(I take that when you have "now and then" at the end of the sentence, as you write, should be fine, or acceptable. Every now and then I may make a mistake, but I'll try to be word-choice-conscious...)

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: